HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, CA, Fairfax
Joined Apr 2011
78 Posts
Having built 2 x TP52's (Pegasus and Samba52) in the 2006 era and raced them for many years. I can say that trying to put them into a RC version would be cool for the trophy case but not on the water. They would be very slow compared to a Marblehead or 10 rater.
In the lobby of StFYC is a replica of Samba52. It looks great in the glass case.
It might be wise take your efforts to the 10 Rater class rule. The boats look and sail like 'real' big boats.
Here is a pic of my most recent 10 rater.
Houdini13 is online now Find More Posts by Houdini13
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,359 Posts
(Photo 2) Never seen a sailboat with that much rear deck not covered by a mainsail foot.

Just sayin'
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
real boats vs rc

Yeah, I agree Dick. I've never seen a keel that was half the length of the boat either... While the boats might be fast, they are lacking a realistic look IMO. For those that want bleeding edge in an established class, 10R might be the way to go. But what is in that picture looks more like a submarine with a unproportinally tall rig, compared to a real life counterpart.

Let's look at it another way, simplify it if you will...

Pinewood derby cars. The fastest cars look like little wedges. There's an amazing amount of planning and "design" that goes into that little wedge. axel angle, where to place the lead corrector weights, graphite powder added to axels, etc... but in the end, it's a little wooden door stop with wheels.

I'm not an idiot, I'm not going to be racing an RC TP52, expecting real world RC TP52 boat handling and performance, but I'd be willing to bet, a boat that resembles a real one, will be fun to race especially with onboard video, 2.4Ghz telemetry, and a spinnaker. Perhaps it's not the boat for the RC sailor that wants curved booms and unproportional rig heights and keel drafts... extreme narrow... that's not at all what this is for. If RC sailing is "purely" about the best and fastest, we better jump on the multihull foiling phenomenon.

So, perhaps it's not for the guy that sails a 10R... Its for someone that wants a fast, fun, exciting and technical boat. Box rule, that resembles the real thing. Is there something out there faster, sure. But at least on the computer with the VPP software, it beats a 1.7m and those are pretty exciting...

Perhaps it's not for the established RC sailor at all?
iBoat is offline Find More Posts by iBoat
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,359 Posts
Any thought of a VOR style similar size/class - might have a bit more interest?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:17 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoat View Post
Perhaps it's not for the established RC sailor at all?
The boat you are talking about is very big and very expensive comapred to what the majority of people sail. The boat would cost several thousand dollars and the size would limit where it can be sailed and how it gets to where it can be sailed.

I'd love to see a finsihed one of these. There are other scale and semi-scale boats already out there but they fit better into what most people can realistically own.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
scale, cost and size

Don't let the guys that show up with small trailers scare you off from a larger boat. I built my 1.7m hull out of carbon and west system for about $200. That included a plug and final hull. I ordered a six channel radio online for $50. 2.4Ghz with potentiometers for channel 5 and 6. Granted I need a $100 servo for sail control, another $150 for sails, and some odds and ends, but it can EASILY be done on a budget. $1000 when it's all said and one, IF you are willing to do the work. The 1.7m will fit in my car, its only 5'6" long and keel, rudder and rig detach. Rig is 100" in two pieces.

a TP52 could be put in the back seat, and while I plan on spending considerably more for the TP boat I produce, I'll still end up at less than $2k.

in perspective, a CR914 is $500. plus a $100 radio upgrade, and it's a little over half the size. much different boat.

Like I said in my previous post, it's not for everyone... I'll be posting pics as I start progress in the next couple of days...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,359 Posts
If I was going to spend the money and the time to build at a large "scale" I believe it would be something like this........
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
If I was going to spend the money and the time to build at a large "scale" I believe it would be something like this........
I've shot the Around Alone races back when I was shooting a lot of grand prix stuff and those were impressive boats, especially when seen up close offshore. I should try to find some photos I have scanned in.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
The VOR boats are great ! attract a lot of attention with big powerful sailplans.

Maybe I'll put that on my list for post TP52...

-Chris
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,552 Posts
The boat in that photo is not a Volvo racer, it's a Groupe Finot Open 60 designed for single-handed racing. It has a canting keel - on the real one, anyway.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
still good stuff. Perhaps it's more fitting for RC being a singlehander... ;-)

I'm still bouncing around between 52 and 62 inches for the TP52. That's 1/10 or 1/12

Any thoughts ? Is anyone interested in one of these ?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:25 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,359 Posts
I'm interested - but have too many things to catch up on right now as the little ones (grandkids) start getting older, perhaps I can when they don't need the "close supervision" (ahem).

Dick
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
of course, we could always go a little bigger... 1/8 or 1/6
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Oct 2012
48 Posts
a couple pics of final renderings

Some pics of the final drawings
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoat View Post
of course, we could always go a little bigger... 1/8 or 1/6
Or quarter scale so it will need a trailer to get it to the pond.

I don't think such big boats will appeal to many people. 1/10 is already a good sized boat.