Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczy View Post
Seth fly it today at the JR during the HH demo time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZiB3...1&feature=plcp
Yeah who needs AS3X, if you have skills like Seth.

Ok I'm not going to jump in knocking on the AS3X, only because I've never flown the AS3X out side the Nano CP X. The old UMX Beast don't have it, the old UMX Sbach don't have it.
I might have went for a new AS3X Sbach, but No I like the original red/black/white colors.
So this Edge 540QQ is appealing in many ways. a Little bit bigger, yet still small. I don't have to think about buying an UMX sbach with a color scheme I dislike.

Looks like a WIN.
It also looks like a Nice jump between the UMX beast/sbach/stryker before getting a 48" ExtremeFlight or 3DHS
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:55 AM
Suspended Account
Ohio
Joined Aug 2008
1,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
The Edge is shipping today.
Hey Dave any chance some are shipping with say a $168.00 off coupon? Other wise I'm going to have to wait.
Metieval is offline Find More Posts by Metieval
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metieval View Post
Yeah who needs AS3X, if you have skills like Seth.

Ok I'm not going to jump in knocking on the AS3X, only because I've never flown the AS3X out side the Nano CP X. The old UMX Beast don't have it, the old UMX Sbach don't have it.
I might have went for a new AS3X Sbach, but No I like the original red/black/white colors.
So this Edge 540QQ is appealing in many ways. a Little bit bigger, yet still small. I don't have to think about buying an UMX sbach with a color scheme I dislike.

Looks like a WIN.
It also looks like a Nice jump between the UMX beast/sbach/stryker before getting a 48" ExtremeFlight or 3DHS
I actually prefer my V1 Sbach over my S3D
feels more precise to me.....
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:38 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
MRrcRC I'd love to see some videos of you flying the Beast with those inverted flat spins and KE spins, waterfalls, etc.

And I still disagree that the AS3X system is a crutch. But let me guess - you fly all your planes blind folded, with the transmitter upside down and zero expo all while doing a head stand right? So therefore anyone else around is inferior. I think I'm starting to understand now.
watch the hh promo vid. they do a blender. many people find doing a blender very easy. fyi - the end of a blender is an inverted flat spin and it doesn't take much effort to continue it.
watch the sbach 3d hh videos. they do everything in it

since when is doing an inverted spin the same thing as flying blind folded etc?
no need for the obnoxious exaggerations

it is a common understanding for 3d and aerobatic flyers that gyro assisted aerobatic flying is considered taboo.

gyros are ok for sportflyers
fishfryer is offline Find More Posts by fishfryer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
mine shipped from CA last night 11/15

ETA -- 11/20
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,490 Posts
The next person that mentions Gyro's, AS3X and crutches on this thread will forever be known as NOT COOL! They will be considered unclean and no one will like them. Matter of fact everyone here will send you negative energy and curse your flying so all your planes and helis end up in pieces.

Now back to the waiting on flight reports from the normal people.

ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,681 Posts
Does anyone have confirmation they are getting it today?
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Does anyone have confirmation they are getting it today?
I believe I have crashed on all accounts here. Our lhs always gets new releases in the next day after they start shipping, but this time something is going on with something? and they tell me the doubt that mine is coming in today. So I said what the heck and ordered one myself from Horizon yesterday. Agent I spoke with said no problem getting it delivered today due to my close to them location, so I fell for it. Well ups tracking now shows that it is not going to make it today either. Shucks, day off work, 57F, 3 mph winds, Edge batteries charged and ready, but no edge.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,939 Posts
bobly - that sucks!! I haven't even gotten my shipping notice yet, so you're ahead of the game! haha
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
I believe I have crashed on all accounts here. Our lhs always gets new releases in the next day after they start shipping, but this time something is going on with something? and they tell me the doubt that mine is coming in today. So I said what the heck and ordered one myself from Horizon yesterday. Agent I spoke with said no problem getting it delivered today due to my close to them location, so I fell for it. Well ups tracking now shows that it is not going to make it today either. Shucks, day off work, 57F, 3 mph winds, Edge batteries charged and ready, but no edge.
That's sucks! Do you have something else to go fly. Or better yet call around to other hobby shops within an hour and go get it there. No point in wasting a day off Mine won't be here until around noon on Monday. I imagine a lot of us will be getting them Monday.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfryer View Post
watch the hh promo vid. they do a blender. many people find doing a blender very easy. fyi - the end of a blender is an inverted flat spin and it doesn't take much effort to continue it.
watch the sbach 3d hh videos. they do everything in it

since when is doing an inverted spin the same thing as flying blind folded etc?
no need for the obnoxious exaggerations

it is a common understanding for 3d and aerobatic flyers that gyro assisted aerobatic flying is considered taboo.

gyros are ok for sportflyers
New account I see?

I just re-watched the 3D Beast promotional video and I do not see one single blender in it. I see hovers, harriers, inverted harriers, rollers and KE...

I also find it very easy to do a blender.... just not with the 3D Beast. Feel free to visit my YouTube page (turnerm05) and watch any of my videos. I can do all the same manuevers with the V1 Beast that I can do with the 3D Beast but I can't do a true KE Spin or a true Blender with either. I'm not saying it's impossible - just because I can't do it in NO WAY means that it can't be done. But I haven't personally seen anyone do this and I was just challenging you to post a video of you doing it with the 3D Beast. If you say you can do it then let's see it. I'm especially interested in that KE spin with the 3D Beast.

But my coments are really about what manuevers are possible or not with the 3D Beast. My comments are really about what the AS3X system is and isn't. It just frustrates me when people come on here and start jabbing about the AS3X system being a crutch thereby indicating that people use it to do things they otherwise could not do. As I stated above, there isn't a single manuever that I can do with the 3D Beast (with AS3X) that I cannot do with the V1 Beast. The AS3X system just makes the plane fly bigger that's all.

And my "obnoxious" exaggerations were to make a point. It often seems that those people that claim that the AS3X system is a crutch also seem to imply that they are somehow superior pilots any only inferior pilots rely on AS3X to fly more like the superior pilots.

And one final point... I personally don't care whether someone uses something to enhance the flying characteristics of a plane to their liking. I personally have never used a gyro in any of my 3D planes (I don't really consider the 3D Beast a 3D plane by the way) but that doesn't mean that I think those that do are somehow taboo!! Is it taboo to use expo? Is it taboo to shift your CG a little to get different performancen traits? Is it taboo to use mixes? These are ALL tools at our disposal and we can chose whether to use them or not. If you can fly the wings off a plane with absolutely zero help from those available tools then that's terrific but to imply that other pilots are inferious because they actually use the tools available to them just comes off as someone having an inferiority complex or something.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
My LHS just informed me that their batch of Edges shipped today and wil be in their store by next Tuesday. So I'll pick mine up then and hopefully get a chance to quickly wring it out.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:52 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
The next person that mentions Gyro's, AS3X and crutches on this thread will forever be known as NOT COOL! They will be considered unclean and no one will like them. Matter of fact everyone here will send you negative energy and curse your flying so all your planes and helis end up in pieces.

What about helping the infirm by using AS3X to stabilize crutches?
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:18 AM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post

AS3x makes my plane sound like zippers
World Record: Most Times Unzipping Pants In 30 Seconds (0 min 43 sec)
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:36 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I can do all the same manuevers with the V1 Beast that I can do with the 3D Beast but I can't do a true KE Spin or a true Blender with either. I'm not saying it's impossible - just because I can't do it in NO WAY means that it can't be done. But I haven't personally seen anyone do this and I was just challenging you to post a video of you doing it with the 3D Beast. If you say you can do it then let's see it. I'm especially interested in that KE spin with the 3D Beast.
It is tough to do a KE spin but it is possible. I posted a video in the Beast3d Forum a while back of me doing a KE spin and a Lomcevak. I'll dig it up and link it here.
*edit Here it is:
Short E-Flite UMX Beast3D Flight (1 min 4 sec)

Lomcevak at 0:09 and end of a KE spin at 0:23. You can clearly see the KE at the top of the screen, I exited the KE into a inverted spin then rolled upright. I had 2 KE turns before the plane entered the frame of the camera. It is all about energy and timing and a little luck! The plane only has enough energy for 4-5 turns before due to the descending speed the air overpowers the momentum and gyroscopic procession of the prop and forces the tail up into a regular spin.

Sorry for the crappy camera angle but I don't have a head mount so camera was just setting on a stand point upwards.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: added link