HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
I'm sorry I just flat disagree , I would never use silicone as an adhesive on a fuselage.

I have built many scale helicopter and never used silicone on any of them in just simply doesn't have the strength nor the durability.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,481 Posts
The two little wooden plates under the mechanics on my Airwolf are held in place with silicone and that was built in 2008. It's held together all this time, however I have re read Kevs post and see what you mean and I agree. Mine are siliconed down and bolted through so they aint going anywhere. If just gluing the woodwork down then yes 30 minute epoxy is the way to go. Apologies for any confusion.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Last edited by Paul 1968; Apr 24, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Epic typo
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:08 AM
Whoops was it always in 2 bits
United Kingdom, England, Rotherham
Joined Oct 2008
1,365 Posts
Yeah guys I do need a good strong bond for this design.
I bought some Slow Cure 30 Min Epoxy, so fingers crossed that should do it.

My next consideration is whether to redesign the tail section so that the tail blades can be mounted on the correct side. Does anyone know what paint colour would match the original canopy?

Kev
bionicbone is offline Find More Posts by bionicbone
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
Most likely if it is a HeliArtist fuselage it is right between "Olive Drab" #4728 Model Master and "Field Drab" #4708 Model Master.
Between the two you should come very close to matching.

As for your mounts I'm sure they will work , but on my HeliArtist BO-105 I just screwed the plywood spacer strips right to the airframe then used 4 small screws to screw the airframe into the fuselage. It works great and I've had to remove it many times for maintenance and it also cuts down on the added weight.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:02 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
The two little wooden plates under the mechanics on my Airwolf are held in place with silicone and that was built in 2008. It's held together all this time, however I have re read Kevs post and see what you mean and I agree. Mine are siliconed down and bolted through so they aint going anywhere. If just gluing the woodwork down then yes 30 minute epoxy is the way to go. Apologies for any confusion.
i use silicone , the GE stuff . but like you said as long as its bolted down and used as a dampener for vibration. the other thing i use is hot glue . that stuff bonds to fiberglass really well , i have that and some bolts going through the frame and hasn't moved yet after 3 years
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,365 Posts
I'm trying the research the exact variant of the UH-1 this build is, I've found this on the net that seems to suggest that it is a UH-1H.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loki69/4864406938

However some picture on the net also claim the be showing that variation but it is slightly different either with or without the tail blades on the opposite side and usually with the exhaust pointing upwards.

This seems to suggest UH-1C

http://www.flickr.com/photos/judgerock/2984087423/

Does anyone have any expert knowledge?

Cheers
Kev
Last edited by bionicbone; Apr 25, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:08 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,481 Posts
I cannot remember where I saw it but I recall seeing somewhere that the manufacturers of the model, be it Align or Heliartist took the the UH1 and incorporated some "artistic" license. As I understand it the "engine housing" area isn't quite right but the overall shape was produced to give a representation of several variants. Of course purists would criticize the model as supplied and modify it to death to achieve their ideal model. Certainly as a sport scale model it looks lovely. I'd love to get hold of the 500 sized version for my FBL 500, but my priorities are elsewhere at the moment. I'm probably going to Fastlads on Saturday for a posh frock for my HK600.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:33 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,770 Posts
Lking at the earier pics you posted yours is eather an UH-1 A, B, or C.

You can tell by the rear sliding door , it only has 1 window and the space between the front door and rear slider is narrow and no swing out door there.

Here is a pic of mine which is modeled after the UH-1H model.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:59 AM
Joined Oct 2008
1,365 Posts
Thanks Paul and Cap.

So decision made I need to convert the tail rotor to be on the opposite side, although I will keep the blades coming up into the wash.

I'm going to change some of the paint job to match this as it will cover up my modification at the back
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Be..._in_flight.jpg

Paul: What sort of posh frock are you getting?

Kev
Last edited by bionicbone; Apr 26, 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbone View Post
Thanks Paul and Cap.

So decision made I need to convert the tail rotor to be on the opposite side, although I will keep the blades coming up into the wash.

I'm going to change some of the paint job to match this as it will cover up my modification at the back
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Be..._in_flight.jpg

Paul: What sort of posh frock are you getting?

Kev
I picked this one up on the way past today Kev.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,365 Posts
Thats a beauty and looks like plenty of room in there for all the bits.

Have you started it yet?

Kev
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbone View Post
Thats a beauty and looks like plenty of room in there for all the bits.

Have you started it yet?

Kev
Nah, still standing in front of the telly as you see it in the picture. Been a busy day at work (typically relentless) so just chilling out for tonight with my feet up and a mugga. I'll probably get cracking at the weekend given the weather forecast.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:53 PM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,101 Posts
Hi guys,

I'd like to share my scale build, I thought some guys might find some experience info useful.

I started off on my HK450GT and a Heli Artist UH-1. First thing I noticed with this fuse is thick construction and a sturdy build, unfortunately it was heavy and rudder servo placement was quite a challenge.

Another issue I encountered with this type of fuselage is the elevated tail rotor system which meant that the tail rotor has to be installed with with an elbow kind of mount and a longer belt.

However it was unfortunate that the included hardware in the elbow system didn't have bearings on the belt pulley, but rather a set of bushings only. In my first test flight without the UH-1 fuse, these bushings failed and almost melted the pulleys.

I also found somewhere in this forum, a modification was done by replacing the plastic belt pulleys with the light weight tail shaft and installing the flanged bearings as well in to the FRP plates. (sorry I can't seem to locate the photo anymore).

Here are a few photos, feel free to ask.

So eventually the tail elbow pulley became a recurring issue and so I abandoned the project and sold the fuse.

For your first scale fuse, It would be less the trouble by choosing the fuse with straight tail assemblies rather than the elevated like this UH-1, B0-9, UH-60 or AH-64.

The Jet Ranger, MD-500, Air Wolf and the likes are my preference.

Hope it helps.
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Last edited by Dongskie; May 01, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:57 PM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,101 Posts
edit: sorry double post
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Last edited by Dongskie; Apr 30, 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: double post
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:12 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,481 Posts
Here she is now Kev, all dressed up in her best party dress, just need a break in the weather for the re maiden. It was a very easy install. The fuselage is cavernous so access to even the rear mounting screws didn't present any issues. Took about 3 hours altogether and must rate as one of the easiest installs I have ever done.