HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Apr 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
I used the charger that came with it. I've always hooked up the 3pin plug to the charger. At first I did not have the 2pin plug hooked up when charging but after a couple of days I thought why keep unplugging the 2pin plug when charging. So it sounds like you never should keep the 2pin plug hooked up when charging or you can damage the battery or circuit board or both, Is that right.
leerogers58 is offline Find More Posts by leerogers58
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
I am afraid that you caused the problem. The 2 pin charger connected will
not charge the battery correctly. You would have to modify the charge connector to do it and I would not recommend that. The two pin charger is ment to connect to the two pin cable of the battery. Do yourself a favor and
get a good charger the longer you use that one the more potential damage you will do. As it is now I fear you have already done to much damage to the battery.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
manchester, England
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Hi Balr14
thanks for the comment, i know the setup is completely different, but using a Wk2801 i can set the mix in the TX (ive seen it done elsewhere) and force both servos to act in unison for the swash functions, i just dont like the jerky response of the stock TX, especially on the rudder and own a few walkera (or century their UK re-branded), so used a 4ch RX from a spare
michaeljohng is offline Find More Posts by michaeljohng
Old Apr 29, 2012, 06:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohng View Post
Hi Balr14
thanks for the comment, i know the setup is completely different, but using a Wk2801 i can set the mix in the TX (ive seen it done elsewhere) and force both servos to act in unison for the swash functions, i just dont like the jerky response of the stock TX, especially on the rudder and own a few walkera (or century their UK re-branded), so used a 4ch RX from a spare
That will work. I hadn't thought of the 2801 Tx, I was thinking 240*. You are right about the stock Tx, the 2801 has higher resolution.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:12 PM
Tom
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
I am afraid that you caused the problem. The 2 pin charger connected will
not charge the battery correctly. You would have to modify the charge connector to do it and I would not recommend that. The two pin charger is ment to connect to the two pin cable of the battery. Do yourself a favor and
get a good charger the longer you use that one the more potential damage you will do. As it is now I fear you have already done to much damage to the battery.
Have to disagree. Leaving the two pin hooked up makes absolutely no difference in charging. The stock charger isn't particularly good since it doesn't balance charge, but leaving the other connector in the heli doesn't affect anything. I charge it that way with both my Imax B6 true balance charger and the stock one when something else is on the Imax. The batteries still test good after what is now 100's of flights so the anecdotal evidence is that the switch sufficiently cuts the juice so that the battery isn't impacted by it being connected.
tom4416 is offline Find More Posts by tom4416
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I'd unhook both leads and re-charge it, as the extra voltage was probably partially energising the pcb whilst it was charging, it would at least be energizing the boost capacitors for the tail and main motors.

Giving the battery a top up charge won't hurt it.

When it has fully charged, just check the voltage with a multi-meter, in the red jst plug for a overall combined voltage of 8.40vdc (if it's just slightly under like 8.36vdc, thats fine). If the voltage is significantly lower, but between 8.40vdc and 7.4vdc, place the black probe of the multimeter on the black wire, then put the red probe on the red wire terminal and check if it is 4.20vdc, then place the red probe in the yellow wire terminal and check it is 4.20vdc, if one cell is down (somewhere between 4.20vdc to 3.20vdc or lower), that is the cell that is damaged, and it will need to be replaced if you wish to continue flying.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Last edited by stormforce; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
ps and sorry for the mix up between you an Eugene, you, Eugene and Stormforce's avatars confuse the shite outta me lol!
well, I can fix that...
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, MA, Northampton
Joined Jan 2009
131 Posts
Hello everyone

I have had two Litehawk Aero helis (now I have one that needs a few parts.) They're sold out of Canada, and they have a line of some durable r/c helis, although all of them are considered as a "toy grade."

After looking around on eBay, I ran into the DH 9100 and 9116. My Litehawk Aero is almost the same exact thing as the DH 9100!!!!

Check mine out -

I added the blue flame stickers to the canopy, and also added four Team Associated red shock o-rings to the skids, cut the two foam donuts in half to make four to balance them out evenly on the skids.

This particular heli is now submerged somewhere in the swamp across the parking lot at my old condo complex - I'd love to find it just to get the black box!!!!

Anyway, I have a Blade MSR X, and want something as big as my Aero, in a 4ch, and when I was browsing through eBay, the DH 9116 has definitely caught my eye.

The 3ch Aero is as easy to fly as a coax, and it handles even better with a few minor mods.

I removed all six plastic collars from between the metal chassis plates, and then I removed the two tail boom supports. I then omitted the tail's horizontal fin, and I removed the servo tape that holds the lipo pack in place and secured it with a rubber band. One last mod I need to do is to add a little weight inside the canopy nose, to give it a better fight against a light headwind breeze (about 4-5 grams, or a marble-sized dollop of kneadtite).

The only major difference I see between the Aero and DH 9100 is that the Aero has black metal plates on the airframe (exactly like the 9116), of course the coloring scheme and markings, and the flybar ends appear a bit different. Aside from that, they are the same size and everything - my Litehawk Aero is just a re-badged DH!!! Oh - the Litehawk Aero comes with a 2S 800mAh lipo, vs the lithium ion 650mAh or whatever pack. I personally have no use for those batteries, as they do not have anywhere near the lifespan of a lipo.

So, this summer, after the windy and breezy springtime weather passes, I'll be in the market for the DH 9116. In the mean time, I'll be getting a 3rd LH Aero, and by then I will have 4 lipo batteries and a healthy box of spare parts!!!

I'll most likely mod that as well, and add my own stickers and/ or paint scheme. Stay tuned - I'll post some pics of it down the road in the appropriate thread
dragnse7en is offline Find More Posts by dragnse7en
Last edited by dragnse7en; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 07:00 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leerogers58 View Post
I used the charger that came with it. I've always hooked up the 3pin plug to the charger. At first I did not have the 2pin plug hooked up when charging but after a couple of days I thought why keep unplugging the 2pin plug when charging. So it sounds like you never should keep the 2pin plug hooked up when charging or you can damage the battery or circuit board or both, Is that right.
Hi mate I agree thith Tom on this as I didn't unplug it either when I was useing the oem charger and it had no effect with the battery of the heli but with all of that said try this run the battery in the heli till it is flat and the heli won't fly then let it cool down for 20-30min then recharge the battery. After you have charged the battery let it cool for 10min before you fly it, then test it and see if that helps.

In the mean time get your self a good ballance charger like the Imax B6 or the Turnigy 6 these chargers will correctly charge your batteries unlike the defaul one, and while you are there get yourself a couple of good Li-Po 900mAh batteries that are mentioned around the start of this thread
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Last edited by Whizgig; Apr 30, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
manchester, England
Joined Feb 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
That will work. I hadn't thought of the 2801 Tx, I was thinking 240*. You are right about the stock Tx, the 2801 has higher resolution.
I'll let you know how i go on, I've got to "hotkey" the progmix option, as the wk2801 locks out some functions when you bind to a 4ch RX or in 2401 mode as the manual puts it,
If I'm successful ill let you all know, might be useful for anyone else who struggles with the on/off style tail response (it could also be that my pcb wasnt the best so tail control was jerky)

Mick.
michaeljohng is offline Find More Posts by michaeljohng
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
I am going to play nitpicker concerning batteries.
Lets examine the battery construction.
First the balance charge plug There are (in this case) 3 pins Call them pins 1,2,3 For my definition pin 1 is ground/negative pin 2 is connected to the positive terminal of one cell pin three is connected to the positive terminal of the remaining cell. The two pin connector that supplies the heli
is connected to the negative pin of the battery and the positive to the most positive cell. In this case cell 2. Thus the heli is supplied with the full voltage of the battery.

Examine the stock charger connector. It is a two pin connector and can only
span 2 adjacent pins if connected to the balance plug.

Case 1 The stock charger is connected to the balance plug and in this case can only charge one cell either cell 1 or 2 but not both. The two pin plug is not connected to the heli in this case. It is free floating. Unless you modify the charger it cannot span pins 1 to 3. Only in this case can it charge both cells. By my definition you can not charge a floating cell.

Case 2 The battery plug is connected to the heli and the charger connected to the balance plug either pins 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. While charging it is possible that current is flowing through the PCB of the heli but I am not aware of how this can charge the 2 cells of the battery.

Now take a balance charger and I am going to use one that works like I describe. The balance connector of the charger is connected to the balance
plug of the battery and monitors the voltage of each cell independitly.
The charging circuit is connected to the power plug of the battery (the one
connected to the series connection of the battery. Now you have full voltage of the charger supplying the battery and the balance connector monitoring
each cell independitly and controlling the charge of the battery.

That is my case and now I am open to rebuttle.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:40 PM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
I am going to play nitpicker concerning batteries.
Lets examine the battery construction.
First the balance charge plug There are (in this case) 3 pins Call them pins 1,2,3 For my definition pin 1 is ground/negative pin 2 is connected to the positive terminal of one cell pin three is connected to the positive terminal of the remaining cell. The two pin connector that supplies the heli
is connected to the negative pin of the battery and the positive to the most positive cell. In this case cell 2. Thus the heli is supplied with the full voltage of the battery.

Examine the stock charger connector. It is a two pin connector and can only
span 2 adjacent pins if connected to the balance plug.

Case 1 The stock charger is connected to the balance plug and in this case can only charge one cell either cell 1 or 2 but not both. The two pin plug is not connected to the heli in this case. It is free floating. Unless you modify the charger it cannot span pins 1 to 3. Only in this case can it charge both cells. By my definition you can not charge a floating cell.

Case 2 The battery plug is connected to the heli and the charger connected to the balance plug either pins 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. While charging it is possible that current is flowing through the PCB of the heli but I am not aware of how this can charge the 2 cells of the battery.

Now take a balance charger and I am going to use one that works like I describe. The balance connector of the charger is connected to the balance
plug of the battery and monitors the voltage of each cell independitly.
The charging circuit is connected to the power plug of the battery (the one
connected to the series connection of the battery. Now you have full voltage of the charger supplying the battery and the balance connector monitoring
each cell independitly and controlling the charge of the battery.

That is my case and now I am open to rebuttle.
Ok Case1 the oem charger is a ballance charger and charges both cells with the ballance 3 pin lead.

Case 2 I used the charger with the heli pluged in with the oem charger and it had no effect on the battery or the heli, But the manual states not to for safety reasons incase the Li-Lion battery is faulty and catches fire and distroys the heli but if you have your battery in the heli at the time of charging and this happens then you can say goodbye to the heli anyway. The recomendation for charging Li-Lion and Li-Po batteries is to remove them from the heli and charge them in a fire proof charging bag so that if they do get to hot and start to ignight you can grab the bag and take it outside so it dosn't burn your house down.

And lastly yes you are right about the proper Ballance charger which is the proper way to charge them.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
He He I have egg on my face. I have too many chargers here and got them
mixed up. If the stock charger was a balance charger I lost track.
So while my stagements were for a 2 pin plug then a balance plug changed the whole picture. Live and learn
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
521 Posts
P. S. I ordered a 9117 and it should be here next week. I will do a direct comparison of the F45 and the 9117
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:34 PM
Brent 黑雁
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizgig View Post
I agree with Sam I am learning on a Titan 450 pro and loving every minute of it is a bit of a challeng some times but you soon learn FP's are fun to fly but once you start with CCPM's every flight makes you better at predicting the heli's way of movement and the little quirks they have where an FP just about right's itself for you.
What is you opion of the Titan. I am looking for a 450 class as I don't have time to complete my builds right now. Too busy at work. I looked at that or the KDS.
BThirsk is offline Find More Posts by BThirsk
Closed Thread