Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Discussion
Watch out folks

ishdfisdfnsdfgsdgk.sdfngk.
sdjfsdjofjasd;fjasdg;fnsdnkasknd
as;f;asdjfsdiofghasdnfasdnlkfnasdiojf
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Last edited by TeeJayBee; Jun 30, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:03 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
are you ok?
"If you're on a commercial airplane in zero visibility weather, maybe not,"

wow what a thing to have quoted in the news, pilots would not fly if they agreed with this "expert".
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:35 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
nyc863, I hope you don't think the article is a joke. Perhaps you might wish to "Google" the phenomenon. It is very serious. While the person that wrote the article has a tentative grasp of what the seriousness of the situation is I can assure you it is no joke.

A similar occurrence a few years ago plunged the entire Northeastern US and parts of Canada into darkness for days by over volting the power grids causing a cascade charge that shut down nearly 25% of this countries power and ability to communicate.

With a moniker like NYC863 perhaps you were in New York City when the power went out last time from Solar Flares. If this can take out entire power grids a lousy GPS receiver doesn't stand a chance.

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:40 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
I had problems getting a satellite lock ages ago, nothing more than about 3.. was crazy. Went home and told my friend about it (in the USA) and he said that they were having the same issues over there... so we checked the space weather and there was a huge spike around the time we were out wanting to fly.
So yeah, I think its pretty serious stuff, not something I check every time I go flying tho!
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:45 AM
Joined Nov 2008
605 Posts
i stand by what i said: if it was unsafe to fly then the FAA would order shutdown.
they have not done this, nor will they.

so it is not unsafe to fly.
gps interference does not bring down airplanes, in bad weather or not. that's all I am saying.
nyc863 is offline Find More Posts by nyc863
Old Aug 06, 2011, 07:54 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
The person writing the article was clearly unaware of the other navigation aids that modern planes use as "back-ups".

No one said anything about this "bringing down" airplanes. Will it affect the safe normal operation of the aircraft, possibly yes. Would the FAA shut down air travel against the possibility? I don't think so.

This county takes risks with human lives vs. financial loss like that every day and no-one reacts until there are 400 smouldering bodies on the ground and then the recriminations and, "why didn't you protect us?" gets started.

Rob

I can assure you the US Air Force doesn't have a "Space Weather Operations" for poops and giggles.

Here is their mission statement;

Space Weather Operations

Looking toward the sun, Air Force weather technicians are leading the way in space weather forecasting. They provide space weather analyses, forecasts and alert notification for all Department of Defense agencies and government systems. With observatories in Australia, Italy, Massachusetts, New Mexico and Hawaii, Air Force space weather technicians never let the sun slip from view. The sun, emitting continuous electromagnetic energy and electrically charged particles, can cause disturbances in the near-Earth environment and disrupt satellite communications.

The mission of the Air Force Weather solar observatories is to monitor solar flares, noise storms and other releases of energy from the sun, and when necessary, notify military and civilian concerned with space, weather, power and communications in countries throughout the world.
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Last edited by camship; Aug 06, 2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:57 AM
Wichita
Joined Dec 2008
1,143 Posts
All airlines have backup systems that do NOT use gps info. Most all aircraft are the same way too, except our fpv staff is all gps. Or at least that know of.
Pixturethis is offline Find More Posts by Pixturethis
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:03 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,212 Posts
Maybe we should fire up the old Loran stations !
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Aug 06, 2011, 12:42 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
ishdfisdfnsdfgsdgk.sdfngk.
sdjfsdjofjasd;fjasdg;fnsdnkasknd
as;f;asdjfsdiofghasdnfasdnlkfnasdiojf
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Last edited by TeeJayBee; Jun 30, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
Closed Thread