HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
An RC blimp but I dont think that counts. Im gonna get a bit more practice on the sim and then go out again. Any tips for me since ur new to it too ? Have to try set the trims and autolevel. Then when I can fly my Armour well I will probably upgrade to something bigger that will take FPV gear. Im gonna get a skywalker too and try some FPV soon on that I think. Planes seem to be a lot easier. I could really do with finding someone into FPV near kings Lynn/Ely direction. Know anyone ?
Kingknacker is offline Find More Posts by Kingknacker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
no fraid not. what controller board are you using? i found lowering the hover stability to 0 on pheonix sim helps learn to keep it stable. i only flew mine when i could take off, hover, fly a circuit, and then land again.
unialfred is offline Find More Posts by unialfred
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:06 AM
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Ill try that so. Im using the paris board that came with it. It seems very stable (not that I have anything to compare it against). I flew mine before I had the sim. I took off at the edge of a field. I hovered it well for a few seconds. Then it started to drift a little towards some trees. I then over controlled to bring it back. Then I kinda paniced and over-reacted and slammed full speed into the ground from around 40 feet !! snapped a prop, bent a motor mount (stong aluminium one !) and filled one of the motors with mud. Considering the speed I hit the ground I was quite impress with the strength of the thing. On the sim I getting a bit better at flying around, hovering and landing. I can now take off circle around and come back to myself and land. Did you find that the sim was quite close to what happens in reality ?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:26 AM
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
yeah it is perhaps a little stable for my kk controller board at 100% stability but it is great practice. perhaps 70% stability is about the closest with how the kk board flies in real life.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Thanks. Well if your over in Lynn again some time and you fancy showing off to someone get in touch.

Do you fly planes at all ?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:39 AM
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
Yeah i fly planes mainly but just fancied trying a multi-rotor for fpv. i expect we will have another Fpv meet soon and i highly recommend going as they make a great day out and lots of help is at hand.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:39 AM
Joined Jun 2004
840 Posts
Hi all!

Here is my new Zeph2 with GoPro... Loving it ALOT! Can't wait to take it somewhere nice!

I Crashed My Zeph....FPV East London (4 min 58 sec)
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Yea Id definatly be interested in that. Where/when will the next one be roughtly? Ive been reading a LOT of stuff on the net, mainly on this site. I'm thinking of getting a skywalker with dragonlink, 1.3ghz vtx, ardupilot, eagle OSD and eagleeyes antenna tracking. Obviously I wont be getting it all at once. Ill start simple, learn to fly the plane and go from there. I find flying planes on the sim quite easy and can take off, circle, roll, loop and land pretty well. So hopefully Ill pick it up easy enough when I go for the real thing. One question though, where do people normally fly ? in clubs or just find a large quiet field? (lots of them where I live). Do farmers generally mind if you are flying over their field ?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:23 AM
United Kingdom, England, Chelmsford
Joined Jan 2012
50 Posts
Guys, can you recommend the video tx/rx's you're using? Kingknacker, yours is 1.3ghz, but which one?

I found the first piece of the FPV puzzle in our cupboard the other day. A 15" LCD tv that runs off 12v. Next is the video/tx kit, but I don't know where to start tbh. Cheers.

Would something like this be suitable?

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=229

900mhz I know is illegal, but it allows you to select 1.3ghz. Would the fact that it works on an illegal channel prevent it from passing Customs?
alexthecheese is offline Find More Posts by alexthecheese
Last edited by alexthecheese; Feb 14, 2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Sorry mate, Im only 'planning' to get 1.3ghz. I dont even have a plane yet nevermind a vtx. 1.3 isnt legal either but I wouldnt imagine customs care about that. I could be wrong though.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:50 AM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogzilla View Post
Hi all!

Here is my new Zeph2 with GoPro... Loving it ALOT! Can't wait to take it somewhere nice!

http://youtu.be/UxbU6Dv8kLo

Wow James that thing is fast, it sure covers some sky, like the tree strike
crezzee is offline Find More Posts by crezzee
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:22 AM
Gnd/Heli Interface Tester
Essex UK
Joined Jul 2005
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unialfred View Post
I was just wondering. what would would happen if i plugged two cameras into a y-lead and then plug it into the vtx?has anyone tried it before?
Here is a cruedly drawn drawing to explain my words better.
You would get a mess, one signal would be mixed with the other. Only way I think you could get round the 2 camera in to one VTX would be to switch between the two of them. You could achieve this cheaply with a small SPDT relay switching the video line or there are dedicated video switches you can buy (sorry can't remember which store I saw them in).

Putting two video signals together is different from say putting two audio signals together, boradly speaking you will be able to dicercern the two audio signals to some degree, but the video signal has a lot of timing dependant information in it, so it is not so easy to seperate the two signals, in fact they will interfere with each other quite badly. It is quite critical two switch the signal at the right time as well else it will jump around etc..

A more expensive way would be two VTX's you may have issues separating them either be channel (i.e. on the same 'band', so all 5.8, or all 2.4 or whatever) or using seperate bands (2 VTX, one on 5.8, one on 2.4). You could use the same antenna if it were designed right and you added a 'duplexer' in to the feed to combine the two RF sources. You would need to have a similar arrangement on the ground, so two seperate receivers for example.

If you were going to design your own transmitter, you could put two channels on the VTX, if it were a digital transmission, it would be easy. Analogue (which we have at the moment), achievable but with some design challenges.

Another way may be through some sort of multiplexing of the two feeds with the audio channel(s) being used for a clock or similar signal... this sort fo combines digital and analoge (very very sort of...). I am sure Angelos can knock something like this up in his sleep

Easiest way to lash it would be with a relay controlled from your RC RX

I'll take a look to see if I can find the video switches buit for the job...

*edit*
Video switches. Note that the video splitter is to share one camera between 2 VTX, not sure it will work the other way round. The 2 chn mini-video switch may be the closest you get to what you want.

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....&cPath=1_10_42
jiberjaber is offline Find More Posts by jiberjaber
Last edited by jiberjaber; Feb 14, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Oct 2009
824 Posts
i was just wondering if it would be possible to interlace the video in such a way that it could be used like 3d. so two cameras side by side.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Jun 2004
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crezzee View Post
Wow James that thing is fast, it sure covers some sky, like the tree strike
Cheers mate! Your antenna's are rock solid. one of them took a hit to the ground that bend the copper tube but it all stayed in-tact so a little force and it went back straight. Convinced it would have been the end of my day with a weaker set!
Dogzilla is offline Find More Posts by Dogzilla
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:50 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,274 Posts
Quote:
i was just wondering if it would be possible to interlace the video in such a way that it could be used like 3d. so two cameras side by side.
Yes, it has been done:-

Expensive - but here is an example:-
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=393
highviz is online now Find More Posts by highviz