HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:02 AM
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Apr 2012
942 Posts
After the Hawk tosses, I screwed up the courage to also throw my Allegro Lite electric for balance and trimming. I know that this is a Houston Hawk thread, but suffice it to say that I used my same eyes to set the stab incidence on the Allegro and while at 28 oz. it's far easier to throw than the big Hawk, on the hard throw, up went the nose into a near 90 upward stall. I'm not sure where I got the agility and speed to do this but I sprinted toward the plane and arrived just in time to grab the boom out of the air avoiding a 90 nose plant. It was kind of like when you forget that your shoes are cleated into bicycle pedals at a stop sign and slowly fall over completely on your side (yeah, I've done that too) -- and then your first act is to look around fast to see if anyone saw. Yeah, that's what catching the plane was like.

Two more tosses and out she flew like a super agile 2 meter glider. I took the plunge and started up the motor and flew for three climb-glide cycles. I think I need to move the CG forward a bit because the stab response was very sensitive. I also need about half the rudder throw that I had programmed in, even on low rates.

Two new planes have now shown their stuff.

W

ps. I'm pretty glad I didn't have someone along with a video camera.
wingloada is offline Find More Posts by wingloada
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wingloada; Apr 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:10 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,386 Posts
Great report! I don't think there is anything more rewarding than to take a concept, your own creation and to have success.
Congrats.
Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Apr 2012
942 Posts
Thanks, Kurt,

With this plane, only the fuselage was my own thought. The rest I owe to Jack. The fuselage did its job of not crushing, not folding, and keeping the wing from touching the tail surfaces. For that, I'll take credit! Thanks to Jack and to Ray for their help and suggestions along the way.

W
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wingloada; Apr 30, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Apr 2012
942 Posts
This evening I took out the Hawk with the electric pod-boom fuselage option. The AUW is 59 oz. with a wing loading of 7.5 oz.

Given that this is an entirely different fuselage and tail from the one I hand launched last week, I had to trim it. Since I had such a scary trim experience with the wooden glider fuselage, with which I had set stab incidence by eye before throwing, this time I had set up the stab incidence with careful angular and deflection measures before leaving home--and I marked them on the fin for reference in the future.

Also remembering how hard it was to throw to get airspeed, I decided to just go for it and use the motor on my first throw (good for the heart rate). To my joy, up she went, stable, straight, and powerful. On my first launch I took her up to about 100 ft. to set the trims (very close--a little up a little left rudder) and then flew a few circles to get a feel. Then I powered up again and sent her up to around 500 ft.

Man, did the plane fly beautifully. I have not flown a glider this size before and the solid stability was a pleasure. Even though it was a bit breezy (8-12 mph) and there was no lift I could find, the plane was very easy to trim to fly hands off and stable. She flew for about three minutes coming down to about 30 ft when I powered her back up again. Turns were easy and relatively flat. I landed, checked her over and checked the battery and sent her up again. I need to learn to slow down a bit for landings. I didn't use the spoilers for landings because I tested the spoilers at altitude and they pitch the nose down quite a bit so I need to dial in some elevator mix for them. The 285 W motor/prop combination (Turnigy 3648 850-red brushless outrunner, Aeronaut CAM 12.5x7.5, ThunderPower 850 mAh 65C LiPo) gave a 75-85 climb and I flew up to about 500 ft. four times (climb took about 10 sec) on one battery charge.

The bonus is that the large wing is _very_ easy to see with my aging eyes.

I'm really excited about this plane -- I have it now in several versions: with wooden glider fuselage, electric pod-boom and convertible to glider pod-boom too.

Thanks Jack! Thanks Ray! Thanks to all who helped.

Next time I go out I'll take a friend with a camera.

W
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wingloada; May 05, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old May 05, 2013, 10:29 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,036 Posts
Hi there from Toledo

hey Bill

A strong front end is a wonderful thing. So Glad you had success with the HH glider and HeH electric variant. I think your summer will be full of staring at the clouds and blue skies.

BTB, glad to help.

ciao -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Old May 05, 2013, 10:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
942 Posts
Great to hear from you. Thanks Ray.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Composite Allegro wing
Old May 05, 2013, 11:03 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,671 Posts
way to go Bill! very pretty too!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old May 06, 2013, 08:45 AM
Joined Apr 2012
942 Posts
Thanks, Capt.

Maybe later in the summer I'll reverse wire the motor and throw her backwards.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Composite Allegro wing