HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Discussion
Flyguy

This thread is intended to replace the Foamie Flyguy™ in 4 Sizes thread.
That thread has become too long and a lot of the information is dated.

This post is updated as of March 13, 2014.

There are four Flyguy™ designs that have stood the test of time. From both a build and flying standpoint, they standout and I highly recommend them. Let me discuss the attributes of each.

Flyguy62 Version 3 is a fully aerobatic version of Flyguy and new as of February of 2014. Version 3 is designed for the intermediate to advanced flyer where Version 2 is designed for anybody that can fly a trainer. Version 3 has twin motors for yaw control and is capable of inside and outside loops. Rolls are very axial and yaw control allows slow and point rolls. Here is a link to the Build Log:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121609

Flyguy 62 Version 3 Fully Aerobatic with Twin Motors by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 11 sec)

Flyguy 62 Version 2 is fun to fly and impresses because of his size. If powered with one of the three motors recommended in the build log you will have a Flyguy that can go vertical. A pilot that has mastered the basics of RC can handle this platform and the build is easy with the www.hoosiercutoutservice.com cutouts. Here is the link to the Flyguy 62 Version 2 Build Log:

RC Superman over San Diego by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 35 sec)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1836963

Ironman 3 Flying : Flyguy 62 Version 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 52 sec)

Flyguy 46 Version 2 is a blast to fly but at full power requires a skilled pilot at the controls. He is an airshow dominator with the build log recommended motor. Here is the link to the Flyguy 46 Version 2 Build Log:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837517

Ironman 3 Flying : Flyguy 46 Version 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 26 sec)

Flyguy 31 is an inexpensive and fully aerobatic Flyguy. He can be flown in a large indoor facility but handles the outdoors quite well. Here is the link to the Flyguy31 Build Log:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1580177

Adizero Flying Golfers at Torrey Pines (5 min 10 sec)

Adizero Flying Golfers at Torrey Pines (5 min 10 sec)

Guillermo and Jack These Flyguy variations allow you to fly a man in a suit. Guillermo is portly and Jack is normal and both fly great.

Flying Guillermo, Jimmy Kimmel Live, over San Diego from Coronado by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 36 sec)

Jack in the Box Flying at Mission Bay (SEFSD) by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 55 sec)

History: Flyguy™ came into being after a visit to my local hobby shop where one of the workers showed me a 30 second clip of an RC flying man. I had seen human shaped balsa gliders in the early 60’s and decided I wanted to design and build a flying person while keeping it inexpensive, simple to build and easy to fly.

That was February 2011 and now I have about 8 variations of the basic Flyguy and have personally built 20. They are being flown by modelers worldwide. A video of my personal Flyguy dressed as Superman went viral and lead to many national interviews and corporate events.

Flyguy is easy to build and will fly great if you follow the build logs; deviate and you may have problems. You can scratch build Flyguy or order Depron and ply cutouts through flyingguys.com. This web address will take you to www.hoosiercutoutservice.com.

In addition, if you happen to get out to the Los Angeles or San Diego area and would like a RTF Flyguy 62 Version 2 or 3, I now offer them flight tested, less battery and transmitter for $700. Inquire through flyingguys.com.
Happy flying.
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 04, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:02 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
So is the 62 less aerobatic than the 46? Or do things just happen slower because of the size?
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:59 PM
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ - inverted!
USA, SC, Greer
Joined Jul 2008
3,256 Posts
You've come a long way in two years. Keep up the good work!
DaDesign is offline Find More Posts by DaDesign
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post
So is the 62 less aerobatic than the 46? Or do things just happen slower because of the size?
Yes. The 62 does great loops and is hard to roll. Some of it I think is the flexing of the Depron, which is less apparent in the smaller size. The 46 is the aerobatic champ with the power setup identified in the build log.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:51 AM
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
Let me tell you the 15" Flygirl has plenty of roll rate. Too much! I had another semi-successful flight on her yesterday. I've yet to land her without breaking the back starting at the notch. I should have radiused that corner to cut down on the stress concentration of the sharp notch.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Let me tell you the 15" Flygirl has plenty of roll rate. Too much! I had another semi-successful flight on her yesterday. I've yet to land her without breaking the back starting at the notch. I should have radiused that corner to cut down on the stress concentration of the sharp notch.
Roll due to torque or is it just the size effect?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Aug 1999
2,432 Posts
Size I think. The fan is only 28mm so I don't think its torque effect.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Size I think. The fan is only 28mm so I don't think its torque effect.
Well that's in line with my observations. Larger the size, the harder to roll.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Children's Hospital FPV Ironman

This platform is being developed to provide Ironman rides to kids at Children's.

So far so good. Finally received all my stuff. Ordered the TX and battery filter from Spain and the antenna from China. I really like the battery filter that lets you use the aircraft battery via the balance plug. The tx has a 5.03v output for the camera which is perfect for the #16 808 keychain. Found the Ironman mask at Walmart on sale for $10 and the Fat Shark goggles will mount inside. Was amazed that the total weight is only 1.88 oz for the airborne electronics. I have another rig like this in my Parkzone T-28 canopy for racing and have had no range issues on channel 1. This tx has only 7 freq selections and I set it at the other end of the spectrum at channel 7. On my goggles, chan 7 and 8 seem to receive equally well. Will need to flight test to verify which one is correct and validate range.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
FPV Ironman

Kloner, aka Money Shot, and I went out to the Weedwackers Field last Friday. We did some testing of my new FPV setup on Ironman. Range looked great but had a throttle mid-range vibration problem. The prop hub was not centered. Flight and recording went great and prop has been worked on to get better balance. Ready for the next test.

Ironman FPV Flyguy 62 at the Weedwackers Field by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 31 sec)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
New Ironman Flyguy 46 video.

Ironman 3 Flying : Flyguy 46 Version 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 26 sec)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Video of Flyguy 62 Version 2 as Ironman

Ironman 3 Flying : Flyguy 62 Version 2 by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 52 sec)
Old Mar 12, 2013, 06:12 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,711 Posts
Otto, recall that I got myself a NEW domain name !

You can either use the old one balsabuddies.com or
the new one
www.hoosiercutoutservice.com

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Otto, recall that I got myself a NEW domain name !

You can either use the old one balsabuddies.com or
the new one
www.hoosiercutoutservice.com

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
Change made.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:22 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,711 Posts