SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:35 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
I have mostly seen the opposite advice. These motors get hot. The metal brushes are incredible thin and fragile. It seems logical that the more sustained heat they bear, the more likely they'll become damaged, especially in a crash or motor stall situation (current flowing by motor not spinning - e.g. when TH isn't activated fast enough in a crash). Perhaps, if you don't crash, flying back-to-back isn't as risky as it is if you do have the occasional crash and momentary motor stall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I would never advice anybody to fly a brushed c/p back to bacl. some do and hey good for them. Maybe flying at North pole during winter outside would be dandy. When my Nanos were stock brushed motors did fine. Yes they do not last forever. More you fly quicker they wear out. forwarned is forarmed.
Hey real simple fly your bird any ole way is great.. enjoy.
The thing you will find is this, people who recommend resting the heli between flights do so due to either a long ago experience with a different heli, or because that's what they have always been told to do. NO ONE says it because they have burned out multiple nano motors due to back to back flying, because it isn't a problem on this heli. In fact its fine in all the current HH stuff other than the fully enclosed fuselage heli's.... As everyone says, every now and then you will get a dud,,, if your first motor happens to be a dud, then you might attribute its demise to back to back flying, when really you just got a dud....

Speaking from actual first hand experience, there is no need to rest the heli between flights, unless perhaps you are flying on a 100+ degree day, when it gets that hot, I stay in the shade not fly my RC's, once it passes about 96-98F, Im out ....
If anyone has actual first hand experience (I.e,, something that doesnt start with "my buddy" or "I heard") burning out multiple motors on this heli due to flying back to back, I would be interested to hear, but like I said my own experience has been 4+ pack back to back every time I fly this heli, through several motors, and multiple packs back to back on my old 120sr and MSR, as well as back to back packs in all my UM planes, and my motor life has ALWAYS been average for the model....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
What goes up must come down
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined May 2014
230 Posts
Lvc

Is it possible that this little nano cpx draws enough current with stock motors to make the lvc engage on startup unless I spool up very very slowly when I am using some older e flite 3.7v 150mah 25c batteries. I can use the same batteries with my nano Qx quad with 4 motors and still get about 6 mins. flight time ??
Bush Pusher is offline Find More Posts by Bush Pusher
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pusher View Post
Is it possible that this little nano cpx draws enough current with stock motors to make the lvc engage on startup unless I spool up very very slowly when I am using some older e flite 3.7v 150mah 25c batteries. I can use the same batteries with my nano Qx quad with 4 motors and still get about 6 mins. flight time ??
I've had a couple of batteries that acted that way if they were left charged in the box for more than a week or so. If you can nurse themm to get going, then the internal heat and lower in-flight load versus take offf *might* let the heli fly....

best to keep a few new 45C batts around and if THEY work ,then put the suspect ones aside. It's cheap to buy new batts (once you've confirmed that is the issue) versus not having as much fun flying, or worrying about crashing due to early LVC.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Today, 03:10 AM
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
2,562 Posts
I'd love to hear Benedikt's opinion on the back-to-back flights/resting issue with brushed motors.
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old Today, 03:38 AM
Boo
Joined Dec 2004
161 Posts
3mm hollow unbraced vs 2mm solid braced tailboom ?

Hi,

Question as title :

I am blinging up my NCPX with RKH parts and need to decide whether to go for a 2mm tailboom that's braced or the 3mm hollow tailboom that's not braced. Ayone here got any opinions which is best ? I will be going Wild with a brushless tail too.

Thanks,

Boo
Boo is offline Find More Posts by Boo
Old Today, 10:58 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,168 Posts
Any advice that flying several batteries back to back is just Bad Advice. Hey not my bird so care less. Flying another bird or more allows some cool down time. Again some will not agree, thats fine.
I'm one of those silly folks who maintains my birds. Service/ adjust/ replace worn/ bad parts and never ever back to back. I make heats sinks if they will go on on many birds. I don't fly on hardwood floors or hard top outside either.
I have heard story it does not matter about cool down. I fly and fly alot and never had motor quit while flying. somware after 100-120 flights motor get weaker/ flights get shorter. Then time to reload a new motor. Nano CP-X's/ Mcp-x's/ Mini C/P/ Genius c/p/ MSR-X etc. I fly these and others/ plus brushed Quads.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Today, 11:21 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Any advice that flying several batteries back to back is just Bad Advice. Hey not my bird so care less. Flying another bird or more allows some cool down time. Again some will not agree, thats fine.
I'm one of those silly folks who maintains my birds. Service/ adjust/ replace worn/ bad parts and never ever back to back. I make heats sinks if they will go on on many birds. I don't fly on hardwood floors or hard top outside either.
I have heard story it does not matter about cool down. I fly and fly alot and never had motor quit while flying. somware after 100-120 flights motor get weaker/ flights get shorter. Then time to reload a new motor. Nano CP-X's/ Mcp-x's/ Mini C/P/ Genius c/p/ MSR-X etc. I fly these and others/ plus brushed Quads.
But the question is, WHY do you say advice about flying back to back is bad? Is it personal experience, or simply hearsay? What part of your own personal experience is that coming from?

That's the story time after time, people who claim its bad to fly back to back flights, but don't do it, and never have (with this heli), vs the people who actualy DO it, with no ill effects. With 4-8 back to back flights every time I fly, my motors start to get weaker after around 100 flights as well, until I have to start hand flipping them to get them started for a flight, then I replace them....
Old Today, 12:23 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2014
81 Posts
When I called HH a several months ago about my Nano's motor problems after about 30 or so flights, the representative asked whether I was resting the Nano between flights. HH's position seemed to be that resting between flights is important.
Ben M is online now Find More Posts by Ben M
Old Today, 02:32 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,183 Posts
yea, that gives them an "out".... so of course that's their position... again, I interested in hearing about actual first hand experience, not hearsay....