HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Question
Surface controls

I'm building my first scratch build from rcfoamfighters (http://rcfoamfighters.com/Models/FF-22.htm) and I quickly realized scratch build means no info on hardware. So I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out what are the parts, where to purchase and how to make the pushrods.
Should I use clevis', v-bends, linkage stoppers, etc.? What would be good control horns?

Can anyone help with a good set up and where to purchase the parts? I've built some other kits but those all included all the necessary hardware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:40 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,099 Posts
If you have a good local hobby shop usually they'll have all the little bits you'll need - Dubro makes about everything related to your question. The website you linked to includes a section "Parts And Equipment Ideas For This Model" which has links to the motor/esc combos, batteries, etc. for the model. If you don't have these items and are purchasing them to power your plane then it's a good idea to include the control hardware. You'll need the control horns and control rods at the very minimum. Here's a list of dubro control horn products: http://shop.dubro.com/products/categ...161.5164.0.0.0

You might want some of these: http://shop.dubro.com/products/categ...61.5180.0.0.0? They're ez-connectors to allow you to make minute length adjustments to the control rods. Personally I just use Z bends. They're easy enough to do with a couple pairs of pliers or a bench vise.

For control rods for that size of a plane, I'd use .047 rod and keep the lengths either short or well supported. I recycle capri sun juice pouch straws as control rod support tubes on larger diameter wire.

Also, you can make your own control horns - cut the shape out of a stiff piece of plastic (old credit cards and gift cards work very well), heat some wire with a grill lighter, and quickly melt a hole through the horn. Slice the foam where the horn mounts, slide in the plastic homemade horn, and foam-safe CA or 5 min epoxy to set it.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
If you have a good local hobby shop usually they'll have all the little bits you'll need - Dubro makes about everything related to your question. The website you linked to includes a section "Parts And Equipment Ideas For This Model" which has links to the motor/esc combos, batteries, etc. for the model. If you don't have these items and are purchasing them to power your plane then it's a good idea to include the control hardware. You'll need the control horns and control rods at the very minimum. Here's a list of dubro control horn products: http://shop.dubro.com/products/categ...161.5164.0.0.0

You might want some of these: http://shop.dubro.com/products/categ...61.5180.0.0.0? They're ez-connectors to allow you to make minute length adjustments to the control rods. Personally I just use Z bends. They're easy enough to do with a couple pairs of pliers or a bench vise.

For control rods for that size of a plane, I'd use .047 rod and keep the lengths either short or well supported. I recycle capri sun juice pouch straws as control rod support tubes on larger diameter wire.

Also, you can make your own control horns - cut the shape out of a stiff piece of plastic (old credit cards and gift cards work very well), heat some wire with a grill lighter, and quickly melt a hole through the horn. Slice the foam where the horn mounts, slide in the plastic homemade horn, and foam-safe CA or 5 min epoxy to set it.
The LHS charge an arm and a leg. I may go there to get some ideas tho. The parts and equipment link doesn't have the info on the only part I need, which are the control horns, pushrods, etc.

Thanks for the links. That's a good idea about the capri sun straws. Too bad my kids are all older and stopped drinking those juice boxes.

I forgot about that control horn out of credit card option. I may have to look into that. Thanks.

Anyone else have thoughts?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:18 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,099 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear about the parts and equipment links - I merely meant that if you don't already have the electronics purchased yet, that you could include the mechanical control hardware with your order as it may be cheaper to purchase them online, all components at once, and pay only one time for the shipping costs.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
I have yet to purchase the electronics. That's exactly why I'm trying to understand what parts make up the control hardware and what would be good for this plane, so I could hopefully purchase all at the same time from the same seller.

Thanks!