Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiep View Post
Can someone please tell me the CG on the zephyr
thanks
75-80mm, as measured from LE of wing (plane upside down)
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Maidened my Zephyr this weekend. Went with the 3s 4000mah 25c Zippy compacts as people have suggested in the thread. No real fitment issues, no foam needed trimming. Cruising around and with some wide open climbs and I can get 10+ minutes per flight coming down with 3.8v in the cells. Could easily get 15+ minutes with some throttle constraint.

Overall very happy with it, the noise alone is worth it. Everybody at the field and even bystanders walking by were turning their heads.

My only complaint is the lack of vertical power, but nothing I can't work around.

And just because I always check power levels on new planes, my wattmeter was showing roughly 41amps and 450watts wide open.
nofreee is offline Find More Posts by nofreee
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
Got some more flights in this weekend.

Was able to get a 29 minute flight out of 4000mah. Batteries had 3.65v per cell when done. 5 or 6 climbs to 350 feet or so, then cruising at 1/4 throttle over some minor thermals for 4-6 minutes per decent.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:24 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreee View Post
Got some more flights in this weekend.

Was able to get a 29 minute flight out of 4000mah. Batteries had 3.65v per cell when done. 5 or 6 climbs to 350 feet or so, then cruising at 1/4 throttle over some minor thermals for 4-6 minutes per decent.
This is, of course, marketed as an EDF "sailplane", so if you fly it like a sailplane, then you can get unlimited flight time, depending on how good you are at finding the right wind and thermals. It's not a great sailplane but it is still a sailplane.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:32 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
700 Posts
Still got my 6s setup on the bench waiting...sigh. My helis have been taking up too much time.
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:44 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
Still got my 6s setup on the bench waiting...sigh. My helis have been taking up too much time.
What did you do to the wings to keep them from flapping to death?
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,817 Posts
Converted to an ornithopter?
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Converted to an ornithopter?
Good one hahahaa!

The wings are wrapped in 5 mil 'new stuff' and I have carbon rods in the aileron to prevent the blowback. I want to say I did more, but I can't remember- the plane has been collecting dust for about two months. I have two "unconventional" 450's that have been taking up my time
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined May 2009
6,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
Good one hahahaa!

The wings are wrapped in 5 mil 'new stuff' and I have carbon rods in the aileron to prevent the blowback. I want to say I did more, but I can't remember- the plane has been collecting dust for about two months. I have two "unconventional" 450's that have been taking up my time
Keep us posted. I'm very easily influenced to follow suit by a success.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
746 Posts
Here's a few pics of my Zephyr with the 3S 4000mah to share, it's tight but totally doable and no lead needed for CG.

The Velcro strap is epoxy-glued to the bottom. I lost my battery when flying inverted from 50 feet up, that's how the nose got banged. The canopy magnets are too weak to hold it so I glued in the strap and no more issues.
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:34 AM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
That's Why I Don't Fly Upside Down

I don't want to fall out of my shoes, and if I glue my feet in and can't change and know what day of the week it is??? :-) Nicely Done, thanks for the pics....
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
251 Posts
I lost my canopy mid flight after a quick up-down porpoise. Since then I've been putting a rubber band or two around the canopy and it stays nice and secure.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined May 2009
6,755 Posts
Spare Parts

Finally spare parts for the Zephyr are in stock. There are very limited numbers, but if you need a new Fuse --- or whatever -- they finally got them.

It may have been days ago -- and I just noticed now.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, VT, Colchester
Joined May 2011
98 Posts
Still no canopy available....looks like you need to buy a $38 fuse to get a $5 canopy. If anybody needs a fuse and doesn't need the canopy I'd be willing to split the cost and take the canopy. PM me if interested
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:03 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoyz View Post
Still no canopy available....looks like you need to buy a $38 fuse to get a $5 canopy. If anybody needs a fuse and doesn't need the canopy I'd be willing to split the cost and take the canopy. PM me if interested

Where are you located, as I destroyed my Zephyr and was thinking of purchasing a new body, wings & tail since they become available.

I'm in IL USA
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk