HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Balsam Lake,Wi-Yuma,AZ
Joined Sep 2003
33 Posts
Discussion
CMP PBY Any info yet?

I see this in Nitros adds,Believe it is the same as the NOS Kyosho That I have.Sounds real nice ARF with every thing but don't like the price!I If it is the Kyosho one have the old one and is sure a bueatiful plane and this one comes with the motors etc mine is for glow.10s not sure what will do with it like to see the motor recomendations for this.
moodier is offline Find More Posts by moodier
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
The specs for the old Kyosho are not the same as the CMP PBY. Fuse length Kyosho 44", CMP 43", Kyosho wingspan 68" with foam core and the CMP is almost 71" and built up. CMP specs are from CMP website.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:36 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
825 Posts
wow, for 295 for the bare kit you could go a long ways to buying and outfitting the Canadair. It is a cool looking plane though, A lot nicer than the foam ones everyone is making right now.

Don't much like the next to bottom pic from their ad, but then it could just be the pilot.

Dive! Dive!
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
It also appears that the right float-tip already broke and is bent lol.....oh boy.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
905 Posts
To new, too expensive right now. I'll wait awhile to see how it pans out. I have to admit, it's a beautiful looking PBY!
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy
Old Mar 20, 2012, 07:10 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
hmmm
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:47 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
I still think the new CMP PBY is the same glass tooling as the Kyosho, in spite of the minor measurment differences and not only because of the chosen color scheme. The tip floats are incorrect and not scale, and they appear to be identical between the old Kyosho offering and the new CMP offering. They could have easily redesigned the wing as a slightly larger built up assembly and put a slightly larger/longer cord rudder on it. The new built up wing is hopefully a little lighter than the Kyosho foam core wing. Without Kyosho quality control, I predict the CMP offering will have a noticably heavier fiberglass fuselage.

If it does not use the same exact tooling, CMP must have directly cloned the Kyosho offering, or directly splashed a mold off of an old Kyosho fuse and tip floats....the unique tip float design is too much the same for it to be an accident.

I do think that price is quite high given the typical quality of a CMP kit. Compare it to the CMP 80" Canadair CL-415 price at Nitroplanes.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Mar 21, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Beautiful plane, too expensive for me though.
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:32 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
It is spendy for sure.
velyter is online now Find More Posts by velyter
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
I'd like to take a gander at making a fiberglass cat fuse using the foam method, but I dont have,a hotwire and im not sure how I would make the "v" on the bottom.
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by velyter View Post
I just built it and will be flying next month. I don't think this is the same one because the wing is not foam core and the Koysho was. They did a great job with this model everything fits perfect I did not have to make any modifications except I added magnets to the outer hatch.
As I mentioned above, it could EASILY be the same glass tooling, in spite of the slightly diffent wing structure and size. The identical tip floats are a dead giveaway that the glass tooling is either the same, a clone or a copy.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:23 PM
UK, Durham, Durham
Joined Jan 2001
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt8madness View Post
I'd like to take a gander at making a fiberglass cat fuse using the foam method, but I dont have,a hotwire and im not sure how I would make the "v" on the bottom.
Simple to make a foam 'V'...just raise the foam cutting template on one side of the block, this then cuts the block at an angle. You then cut the same block but with the template raised on the other side and end up with a 'V' shape on the foam block.
Graeme Hogg is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Hogg
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
As I mentioned above, it could EASILY be the same glass tooling, in spite of the slightly different wing structure and size. The identical tip floats are a dead giveaway that the glass tooling is either the same, a clone or a copy.
You could be right, who knows for sure. I am going to try and maiden her this coming weekend if the weather corporates. i will video and post. I went a head and made the wing tip floats a little bit more scale using styrene.
velyter is online now Find More Posts by velyter
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:41 AM
farmington, mn
Joined Sep 2003
884 Posts
I just ordered this plane from nitro to replace my old kyosho that took a hard landing in a corn field and really cracked up the gel coat, figured it would be same amount of work to build a new one as to fix the old one, I will be adding on old .26 4stroke engines to it. Does the nitro one have the landing gear like kyosho did? How did yours fly..and tips I should know? Also in this one I am adding the guardian flight stabilizer.
Thanks jeff
jeff262 is offline Find More Posts by jeff262