Visiting my dad in Kitty Hawk
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2014, 08:07 AM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
408 Posts
Ran up there for the afternoon. Facebook friends with the restoration facility there and got the behind the scenes tour. Leaving to go back home tomorrow. Definitely going to try to make it to their warbird show in May

Rob
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:30 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Thanks Rob great photos of the Mossie. Read on the net that its been sold to someone in Texas. It will be great if they show it around the various shows.

Bruce the ailerons are next then the Landing Gear. I had a look and Guillaume web site and he has changed his landing gear assembly by including an air cylinder. Works OK and very close to the real Mossie.

http://www.modelisme.com/forum/aero-...taylor-36.html

He glued his rear nacelle though.

All best Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:11 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
408 Posts
Roddie - would an electric actuator also work? Wonder how much force it needs

Mossie is staying in Virginia. Not sold Jerry turned down 9.2 million.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:44 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Roddie - would an electric actuator also work? Wonder how much force it needs

Mossie is staying in Virginia. Not sold Jerry turned down 9.2 million.
WOW that'a a lot of cabbage;... there's some great actuators out now if you want to spend the cash.

http://www.lado-tech.net/en/3-rs666

Maybe I'm just to cheep; I keep on looking for another cheeper way to do this w/ out air.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Oct 29, 2014, 05:48 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Bruce, Rob My first design was to use a servo (Hitec HS-75BB)HiTecs landing gear servo. It is not a proporional servo, just a straight movement. One pulse starts its total movement. My initial design uses the HS-75BB so I will see how that goes. The main thing is not have any of the landing load transfered to the servo.

The photos show current progress over a few days. Will be even slower as I have another job to complete.

All Best Rod
Old Nov 05, 2014, 07:54 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Are you already at the beach? Or dos swimbo (She Who I Must Be Obeying) have you doing odd jobs?
I see you used a full chunk of balsa for the wing tip as I did.

I have seen a set of worm gears they now have for RC apps; but I can't remember who makes them?

Bruce
Old Nov 06, 2014, 01:08 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi Bruce, working on the "odd jobs" actually its rebuilding two skylights, in the internal bathroom and the laundry. So definately "Swimbo" love that expression.

But the hill over there is starting to beckon me :::: so it will not be long.

Completed a bit more not much. Photos show limited progress.:::: the ailerons are next then the Landing Gear. I

Thanks for the ideas and suggessions on the LG and I am looking into them as I must start finallising the design for the lifting movement So had a look at the actuators and the worm gear. The actuators may do the job but the worm gear could be OK too. The problem so far is getting the gear to lock down and remove any stress from the servo/actuator. So trying to dream up a locking method, in between doing those jobs.

Bruce read about your rotor-cuff very sore, I had a frozen shoulder (about 6 months no movement and about a year of trying to get the strength back Ouch

All best Rod
Old Nov 16, 2014, 01:25 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Mossie Wing Rebuild

Hi Guys, managed to keep the wheels turning over and completed a few things
Had to fix the grub screw (where I stripped the thread) That was a pain as I had to fix it in position.

Started to locate the nacelle mount extensions. Checked with the design to make sure all angles arre correct. Will lock the wings together and check that the extension are parallel with the wings. Then locate the main UC mounting rib (between 5-6) and parallel (make a jig to go between wings and hold the UC mounting rib.

The photos show the progress.

All best Rod
Old Nov 18, 2014, 01:33 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
Hi Guys, managed to keep the wheels turning over and completed a few things
Had to fix the grub screw (where I stripped the thread) That was a pain as I had to fix it in position.

Started to locate the nacelle mount extensions. Checked with the design to make sure all angles arre correct. Will lock the wings together and check that the extension are parallel with the wings. Then locate the main UC mounting rib (between 5-6) and parallel (make a jig to go between wings and hold the UC mounting rib.

The photos show the progress.

All best Rod
What are those last pieces you made in ply?

Bruce