SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2011, 02:16 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
819 Posts
Question
E sky simulator computer problem

My sim is several years old, but my computer is brand new. I installed the simulator software from the original installation disk, and it placed an icon on my desktop. However, when I try to launch it, it get the following error:

Exception EComPort in module FMS.exe at 00088728
Registry error (win error code;2).

Can anyone give me some guidance?
Chatenever is offline Find More Posts by Chatenever
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:27 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
You are running the FMS simulator.

The ecomport error means you have a newer computer without a COM port defined in the Windows Registry. There are several workarounds for this problem including just adding a COM port in Windows Device Manager. The most fool proof is to plug in a USB to 9-pin serial converter to a spare USB port. This will add a COM port to Windows. So will an old modem card.

There is also software out there that can add a virtual serial port.

-- ggunners
ggunners is offline Find More Posts by ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:58 AM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
819 Posts
Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:49 AM
Big T
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Files to make the sim work on new computers

Here are the files that will allow you to run FMS on newer computers. You don't have to have more hardware this way! I have it running on Vista and 7. Read Instuction file to see what you need for your system! Worked for me hope it works for you!!! You will need to use the FMS batch file to start FMS. Just make it a shortcut make sure it works then delete the E sky shortcut that was put on your desktop when you installed E sky. You won't have the Icon but atleast it works this way!!!
westkyracer is offline Find More Posts by westkyracer
Last edited by westkyracer; Jun 18, 2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:03 AM
Big T
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Also try RC Desk Pilot it is free and works on Windows 7. There are more and more Planes that can be downloaded seems like everyday thanks to people like GGunners!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102829
Last edited by westkyracer; Jun 18, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:57 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
Don't forget Metasequoia LE, in case you want to edit the .mqo 3D model files included with many of the FMS models. -- ggunners

P.S. Almost forgot Mr. Masuoka's Par Editor program.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ggunners; Jun 18, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added Mr. Masuoka's Par Editor
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:20 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westkyracer View Post
Here are the files that will allow you to run FMS on newer computers. You don't have to have more hardware this way! I have it running on Vista and 7. Read Instuction file to see what you need for your system! Worked for me hope it works for you!!! You will need to use the FMS batch file to start FMS. Just make it a shortcut make sure it works then delete the E sky shortcut that was put on your desktop when you installed E sky. You won't have the Icon but atleast it works this way!!!
I downloaded the fms-ecomport-fix file, and now I can get past the ecomport error. I also downloaded and unpacked the d3drm.zip file to my program files(x86)/fms, but when I try to start the program from the fms icon on the desktop, it still says my dedrm.dll is missing. I think the problem might be in that I don't know how to do the red instruction above.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:22 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunners View Post
just adding a COM port in Windows Device Manager-- ggunners
Just??? I've googled this, but it doesn't look like an easy thing to do. Can you give me a link with instructions on how to add a COM port?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:47 PM
Big T
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Unzip FMS vista to the FMS Folder under program files then right click on FMS-Vista.bat and create shortcut. Move the shortcut to desktop if the computer did not put it there for you. When you want to run FMS click that icon instead of the original.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
819 Posts
Here's a screen shot of my FMS folder. Where do I find the .bat file?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:31 PM
Big T
Joined May 2011
14 Posts
Download all the zip files from above. Extract all of them to that directory in the picture. then in look in the type column look for windows batch file. Then select the fms-vista.bat to run, if it works then make a shortcut to your desktop.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:18 AM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatenever View Post
Here's a screen shot of my FMS folder. Where do I find the .bat file?
In your picture above. You have not uncompressed the d3drm.dll file. It needs to be uncompressed. If you right click on it you should have an option to "expand" it or "unzip" it. -- ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:39 AM
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Mar 2006
819 Posts
Ok guys, we're getting really close. Here's my latest screenshot. I can get the FMS-Vista to open up the simulator (after a disconcerting message that says, "Are you sure you want to allow this program to make changes to your registry), but my joysticks don't control the plane. When I go to Controls/Resources, the sticks work, but when I go to Mapping/Calibration, they don't work.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:14 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
USA, VA, Chantilly
Joined Apr 2002
1,702 Posts
FMS only sees the first joystick in the list for your computer. So, you might try going into Win Control Panel and in the Advanced tab for game controllers, make your transmitter the "Preferred" controller. -- ggunners
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:10 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westkyracer View Post
This post saved me a lot of grief. FMS runs flawlessly now in Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks!!

I know this thread is old, but it has great info in it.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude