HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:41 PM
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Jun 2007
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi2nr View Post
Doug's way has the flaps coming out and down. The way yours is done has a single fixed point so it'll just drop instead
Well first of all I am not Doug. He has his way, I have my way.
8492ND is offline Find More Posts by 8492ND
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:58 PM
Retired jet jock
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Aug 2011
19 Posts
erh7771

Yes, Callie has made the new American Airlines livery for me.
RALinden is offline Find More Posts by RALinden
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:18 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,629 Posts
Quote:
If class is in session; I think someone just got educated

Hehe... Nice work though, still looks very nice with the regular hinges
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nice Pic
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:34 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8492ND View Post
Time to go to school fellas! Class is in session, lol. All modifications are in house. I will start with what the plane looks like now and take you back. I have incorporated the Double-slotted flaps system with leading edge slats.
8492ND...a couple things my good man. First, I applaud you for creating a second Wedgetail. My RAAF one (pictured) flies perfectly.

As for attention to detail- I will tell you might wish to re-do your MESA Radar antenna (the surfboard/top hat) as it is dimensionally incorrect- it needs to be longer at the base and it sits slightly higher. The Wedgetail has a shortened forward section of the vertical fin (tail) as compared to a standard 737NG to fit the long MESA antenna. (Look closely at your picture you posted of the Korean one.)

Second, you can in fact do your flaps however you wish, but regardless of fowler movement or not (hi2nr is correct- yours are not quite fowler), you will at least want to make your flaps airfoil shaped to maximize the lifting effect. They are "blunt" nosed as pictured. They will still provide lift, just not as much as possible.

Third, because of weight added aft of CG (antenna on top, dorsal fins), you will need to plan your battery well forward of normal to achieve proper CG.

To answer your 747-400 question, I'm not sure what livery I will go with (likely United from the late 90s), but I will have full span Kruger slats. (You hear me hi2nr?)

Cheers, and good luck on Wedgetail serial number two! Happy to help if you need.
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:52 AM
United States, TX, League City
Joined Jun 2008
368 Posts
You can have the Krueger flaps, I'll take the task of triple slotting the flaps lol
hi2nr is online now Find More Posts by hi2nr
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:35 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RALinden View Post
erh7771

Yes, Callie has made the new American Airlines livery for me.
thx
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Jun 2007
221 Posts
My model is being test fitted with these parts. I am no where near completion nor do I have a single electronic hook up. I don't believe I have jumped on anybody's page and " dimensionally corrected" their model. The whole " class is in session" was just me talking s$@! I know how to model and I know how to make my plane look just as good as anybody else's. as far as my radar being "dimensional incorrect" if you look at the tape on the fuselage, that should have told you the model was still " in progress". Thanks for the offer.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:38 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
My model is being test fitted with these parts. I am no where near completion nor do I have a single electronic hook up. I don't believe I have jumped on anybody's page and " dimensionally corrected" their model. The whole " class is in session" was just me talking s$@! I know how to model and I know how to make my plane look just as good as anybody else's. as far as my radar being "dimensional incorrect" if you look at the tape on the fuselage, that should have told you the model was still " in progress". Thanks for the offer.
no need to get all defensive, the guy was just giving you some advice so you can have the best completed model possible.
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:44 PM
Southern California
Joined Mar 2010
912 Posts
Rookie2008 is offline Find More Posts by Rookie2008
Old Feb 03, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Jun 2007
221 Posts
I don't mind a little constructive criticism. This antenna is about 50% larger than what it's suppose to be but I had to consider the housing & the red light within this unit. If I make it too scale(smaller) it may crumble if you try to put a light inside.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:19 PM
United States, TX, League City
Joined Jun 2008
368 Posts
Build it out of balsa maybe? It'll hold with a little thin CA soaking and then you can channel the wires for the light fill sand and paint. It'll also be sturdy and have a more defined shape without sacrificing weight etc
hi2nr is online now Find More Posts by hi2nr
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Jun 2007
221 Posts
Not sure about this little guy.....be nice it I could find a camera small enough to mount in the pod in lieu of one of the sensors. Oh course I could just mount it inside the MESA Radar?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Jun 2007
221 Posts
Quote:
Build it out of balsa maybe? It'll hold with a little thin CA soaking and then you can channel the wires for the light fill sand and paint. It'll also be sturdy and have a more defined shape without sacrificing weight etc
Balsa huh? Hum..... Not a bad idea.......
Old Feb 04, 2013, 01:12 AM
Insert witty comment here...
Scranton Pa
Joined Jun 2008
203 Posts
Ming, is there a estimate on what pricing will be after the prebuy is over?

Ty.
Curt S.
Curt S is offline Find More Posts by Curt S
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:51 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2010
481 Posts
Quote:
Easy captain, I offered to help and wished you good luck, that's all- nor did I post the "school's in session." Further, if you are purposely "talking s$@!" as you note, you may wish to consider it may create some rather harsh reactions.

Regarding your model being "dimensionally incorrect," I happen to see Wedgetail every single day at work...I didn't know you realized the dimensional differences as it appeared your antenna was more or less complete. You may wish to consider that my comment on your MESA antenna was to help.

I again wish you good luck on your build.
Doug W is offline Find More Posts by Doug W