SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:02 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
Brian, yes that should not cause issues, it may or maynot connect however... so you may have to restart MK tools. At any rate there should be no worries of hurting anything.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:09 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
I ordered a gopro camera mount from Zoltan on Sunday, received it today and it's installed, ready for MKTools for setup. Best customer service, ever. HS65HB's for servos. Hope it's up to the task.

Brian.
Hi. How smooth are the results from this mount. Would be good to see some on-board footage from the mount.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Oct 2010
241 Posts
I have the nghobbies mount and I partly gave up on it. I had too much vibration coming from the servos. The mount is fine, quality, easy to build and really light/cheap compared to others.

But especially in the roll the servos make the image too choppy for me. I guess the servos kick back when there is any force feedback on it? I am only using the tilt part now.

Has anyone managed to solve this problem with this or other mounts? Is this caused by the MK maybe?

(must recommend Moongel against jelly effects on the GoPro...)
hardhat is offline Find More Posts by hardhat
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Hi. How smooth are the results from this mount. Would be good to see some on-board footage from the mount.
I'll find out tonight for the maiden flight. I must agree, the roll seems a bit "loose". Perhaps bolting the camera cage to the mounting plate and remove the roll servo. The tilt would still work and be stabilized by the FC. I want to mount a baterry tray and mount the camera mount below that. Without the roll servo and the cage fixed to the mount, it would clear the ground and you could mount it with the gopro lens in the middle.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
241 Posts
Make sure there is no 'play' in the bit where the steel wire connects to the servo horn..

But my problem is with the servos, must be more common, they seem to introduce shaking. You should be able to see it when you hold and move the MK in your hand. If you don't I would love to know..
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,663 Posts
If I can get it up in a hover, I'll put a video up showing how it looks. I may have to make changes in MK Tools. I'll add that as well in the video. I may need some help setting it up to fly and video, with the gyro settings showing, will show whats happening. I could use all the help I can get, this will be my first time setting up a MK. I hope to get better a spotting trouble and know what to do to fix in the future.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 06:42 PM
Flying Canada's Arctic
Canada, NT, Fort Smith
Joined May 2010
511 Posts
Quote:
If I can get it up in a hover, I'll put a video up showing how it looks. I may have to make changes in MK Tools. I'll add that as well in the video. I may need some help setting it up to fly and video, with the gyro settings showing, will show whats happening. I could use all the help I can get, this will be my first time setting up a MK. I hope to get better a spotting trouble and know what to do to fix in the future.
Mine is sitting on the desk, I fatally crashed my UAVX last night so I might build the gopro cage mount it on my MK and test it, if I do I will post some results..
Franco
spydmobile is offline Find More Posts by spydmobile
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:14 PM
Lisbon, Portugal
Joined Jan 2011
177 Posts
But especially in the roll the servos make the image too choppy for me. I guess the servos kick back when there is any force feedback on it? I am only using the tilt part now.

Has anyone managed to solve this problem with this or other mounts? Is this caused by the MK maybe?

(must recommend Moongel against jelly effects on the GoPro...)

If you have an MK isight II and a go pro case, you can make one of these.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1388129
no gelly effect and no vibrations.
And if you put an elastic band doing some strength to the roll servo, the vibrations from the servo are much more soft.
filipinto is offline Find More Posts by filipinto
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,663 Posts
I put two batteries through the Quad tonight. It flew great with the default settings. I think I may have to reduce Gyro P. It seemed to not quite centre itself and would drift after a quick stick input. I'm making up the video now and will upload during the night. I did get some vibs in the gopro footage but you will see when it's uploaded. One click of down elevator for a hover, which was removed on the second flight when I place the bat a little more forward. Not bad, no trims right of the box. So far I'm very impressed and am looking forward to this summer.

Brian.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:54 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Chiyoda
Joined Oct 2010
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Alain,
Well...I really was not trying to convince you between the MK and UAVX. Especially in this predominantly MK thread... I have and have flown the UAVP/UAVX for 2.5 years and 1.0 to 1.3 versions of the MK for 5 years now, and a few other project flight controller boards since 2003...you can never have too many multicopters It really comes down to a personal build skill and budget decision for any multicopter. All multicopters have different build skill requirements and their own flight performance limitations and maintenance requirements.
The UAVX flies fine as is and is mature and stable in its design with lots of flight time and continued growth updates. It has more gyro and sensor options which continue to grow than the MK and is truly open source firmware for those who like to modify Prof Egan's UAVX code for their own needs. The MK is very mature and comes out with new updated boards every couple of years and as some observe (Hi Rusty), will do better with less oscillations in 15-20kts windy situations that most would not fly in for AVP. Anything your choose to go for will be modified or updated sooner or later. It is the nature of this model to keep improving with code or hardware or both. When both flight controller boards are properly setup and flown in winds of 10kts or less, you would be challenged to notice any flight differences. BTW, most serious AVPers fly without using the GPS or altitude hold to minimize controller correction inputs that might spoil some shots and video.
Cheers,
Jim
Hello Jim

Thanks again for the explanation. For sure you have been very convincing even if not intented, you helped to identify the proper platform to start with.

I have nothing against MK but it seems UAVX is a bit more simple since it meeds no I2C isolator for true redundancy and can take cheapers ESC (getting Turnigly 60A for 20 euro is much better than the MK OEM 2.0 at 55 euros each).
I also very much the open source idea like in other aspect of life - I share my best images on HD on my site.
Wind is not a big issue for me since I will need almost zero wind to fly anyway, since I will want to do shallow DOF photography and so need very precise focus. This will lead me into some specific problems I will have to manage when time comes.
MK is certainly a great platform anyway, I have seen videos of what it can do and it is incredibly good.

I fully understand the comments about continuous evolution, and just hope both projects a very long life. I also fully understand the need to be a mix of engineer/electronician/mecanic to build/maintain/fly those things in safety, I will take that long road and hope for help. Just like photography or japanese, everything can be learned

Anyway, I will see you in the UAVX thread now ! Thanks again !

Alain
alainphoto is offline Find More Posts by alainphoto
Old Feb 12, 2011, 07:50 AM
Don L.
Old Lyme, Connecticut
Joined Feb 2006
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx View Post
Taking stills is not a problem, especially with a CCD camera. Video is much tougher in windy conditions. CMOS makes it that much harder.
BJM,

Yeah, I wasn't replying to any conversation about wind and video. I didn't even know I was posting in the middle of one - I'd been without the internet for six weeks. I was just checking in to say that I was flying the hexa in pretty windy conditions in Antarctica and the GPS position hold was excellent and that the EPP1045 props held up fine.

- Don
dleroi is offline Find More Posts by dleroi
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:40 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,663 Posts
Here's a short video of my maiden flight with some in-flight gopro footage. I kept the video short, just boring hovering. Hopefully I put enough in for any suggestions from the more experienced MK flyers.

Brian.

MK Quad Maiden Flight (3 min 30 sec)
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:30 PM
Flying Canada's Arctic
Canada, NT, Fort Smith
Joined May 2010
511 Posts
Quote:
Here's a short video of my maiden flight with some in-flight gopro footage. I kept the video short, just boring hovering. Hopefully I put enough in for any suggestions from the more experienced MK flyers.

Brian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwByisSbrss
Congrats Brian! Classic MK, smooth stable and very vibration free.
God on ya!
Franco
spydmobile is offline Find More Posts by spydmobile
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydmobile View Post
Congrats Brian! Classic MK, smooth stable and very vibration free.
God on ya!
Franco
Thanks Franco. At the beginning of this build, I was a little intimidated. The help from everyone in here and a methodical build, the results were perfect, thanks all.

I may have to reduce my gyro P a bit. When I moved the sticks and centred them, the MK looked like it didn't quite come back to centre without a correction. Would you agree?

Next will be mod my gopro and replace the fisheye lens with one that has no "warp". It will even take out the warp for still pics. Here is the link to the mod with pics and video of the new lens by Sunnex. They are currently out of stock, they were scooped up in a hurry

Brian.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375480
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:37 PM
Joined Oct 2010
241 Posts
Looking nice!

How long can you fly the quad with the GoPro? I have an Okto and I am seriously considering cutting its wings into a much more manageable quad or coax okto for travel purposes. Gave up on flying with an SLR, not needed.

Flying FPV with camera is great for making accurate 'around' shots etc.. Also because it slowly changes your brain in that of a bird..
Last edited by hardhat; Feb 12, 2011 at 02:44 PM.