SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2014, 04:51 PM
United States, CT, Hamden
Joined Jul 2011
331 Posts
Nice job on the mods Merlin. I need to put in the two aileron servos like you did.

I got to fly my T45 today. I did some speed testing with and without the cheater hole. With the hole covered up with clear tape, I hit a max of 92 mph. With the tape removed and the cheater hole functioning, I hit 100 mph. I was expecting a little more speed based on the static thrust measurements I took. But I'll take it. Both flights were with a NanoTech 3300 mah 35C 4S battery. I bought a $18 Hunger 3300mah 35C battery from dealmetics and gave it a try. Flight time was similar to the NanoTechs at 2 1/2 minutes and top speed was 88 mph. Not bad for a 1/2 price battery.
oldsneakers is offline Find More Posts by oldsneakers
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:23 PM
Spain, GA, Ourense
Joined Apr 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers View Post
Nice job on the mods Merlin. I need to put in the two aileron servos like you did.

I got to fly my T45 today. I did some speed testing with and without the cheater hole. With the hole covered up with clear tape, I hit a max of 92 mph. With the tape removed and the cheater hole functioning, I hit 100 mph. I was expecting a little more speed based on the static thrust measurements I took. But I'll take it. Both flights were with a NanoTech 3300 mah 35C 4S battery. I bought a $18 Hunger 3300mah 35C battery from dealmetics and gave it a try. Flight time was similar to the NanoTechs at 2 1/2 minutes and top speed was 88 mph. Not bad for a 1/2 price battery.
Thanks Old S. The double aileron servos ain't difficult to make, she even has the "marks" where you have to cut. I did it to program flaperons, but from what I have seen this plane seems that doesn't need them, and also my field has long and comfortable paved runaways. (Picture).
Now, 100 mph!, wow, that is almost 160 kmh, for now I don't want to go that fast, but later, when I upgrade my Goshawk, I think I'll have to give to cheater hole a try.
Meanwhile, here in northern Spain fall has arrived, it means rain, wind, even some snow, let's see if this weekend we'll have good weather enough to maiden her. Also, still can't find a replacement fan, hope don't have to need it.
New Merlin is offline Find More Posts by New Merlin
Old Nov 13, 2014, 09:51 PM
Old !Bold Pilot
United States, CA, Gilroy
Joined Nov 2013
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil3264 View Post
Oh wow, that's far worse than a crash, not even a chance to try and salvage parts! Yeah I'm hoping on 4S and the 12 blade fan/new motor it will have enough for grass takeoffs because I enjoy flying off of a runway much more than hand throwing.

I actually had the T-45 out today on 4S for the first time, wow did it have a lot more power, much easier to fly. This was with the 4600kv motor/5 blade prop, I'm hoping the 2600kv/12 blade will give it even more power, just need to wait for it to come from hong kong!. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
If you want thrust and speed, it will be hard to beat your 4S 5-blade setup. 4600 is a lot of kv for 4S on a 64mm fan. I'm guessing you were pulling over 50Amps. I've recently been testing at 4000kv Don's wicked with a 5 blade 64mm EDO fan and seeing 40Amps on 4S.

The Change Sun 12 blade 64mm unit is good for quiet whoosh sound, but it will most likely not produce as much thrust as your 5 blade fan. It will just sound good. You will definitely need to enlarge the exhaust diameter to get 100 % FSA, or about 58mm as I recall. A thrust tube helps alot on this jet, as the tail section at the top of the exaust is a bit dirty with the the elevator linkage holes etc.
I was able to get ~800g of thrust on 4S and a Change Sun 12 blade 64mm and a 2700kv Don's Wicket Plus motor using the stock intake ducting and enlarged exhuast with thrust tube. My T-45 was a little over 900g with a 2200mAh 4S 45-90C LiPo. It drew at 40Amps at full throttle. If you add a carefull cheater hole, you should be able to get about 100 to 150 g more thrust.
kevinkal is offline Find More Posts by kevinkal
Last edited by kevinkal; Nov 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 03:16 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkal View Post
If you want thrust and speed, it will be hard to beat your 4S 5-blade setup. 4600 is a lot of kv for 4S on a 64mm fan. I'm guessing you were pulling over 50Amps. I've recently been testing at 4000kv Don's wicked with a 5 blade 64mm EDO fan and seeing 40Amps on 4S.

The Change Sun 12 blade 64mm unit is good for quiet whoosh sound, but it will most likely not produce as much thrust as your 5 blade fan. It will just sound good. You will definitely need to enlarge the exhaust diameter to get 100 % FSA, or about 58mm as I recall. A thrust tube helps alot on this jet, as the tail section at the top of the exaust is a bit dirty with the the elevator linkage holes etc.
I was able to get ~800g of thrust on 4S and a Change Sun 12 blade 64mm and a 2700kv Don's Wicket Plus motor using the stock intake ducting and enlarged exhuast with thrust tube. My T-45 was a little over 900g with a 2200mAh 4S 45-90C LiPo. It drew at 40Amps at full throttle. If you add a carefull cheater hole, you should be able to get about 100 to 150 g more thrust.
Thanks for the advice! Yeah I just put the 12 blade in so we'll see how it performs.
Does anyone know what brand/model of 9g servo will work for the steerable front wheel that comes with the kit? I had a spare freewing but it was too big, thanks!
DrEvil3264 is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil3264
Old Nov 15, 2014, 03:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
331 Posts
With other planes I've seen a pretty good increase in speed by going to a higher C rated battery. So I bought a 3300mah 4S 65C NanoTech battery from Hobby King to see if that holds true with my T45. Here's what generally I've been getting with the NanoTech 3300mah 4S 35C's I've been running.

Amps - 65
Watts - 970
Volts - 14.5
Static Thrust - 950 gms

Here's what I just got doing the same tests with the 65C battery.

Amps - 75
Watts - 1185
Volts - 15.6
Static Thrust - 1130 gms

A pretty big jump. The motor is rated 68 amps max so I guess I have a chance of frying it. If the weather warms up some I'll see what kind of MPH it will do.
Last edited by oldsneakers; Nov 16, 2014 at 01:42 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
30 Posts
Right O I've just got the kit version and a 70mm 6 blade fan unit for this,using the black tornado 4800kv motor and on 2200 3s.
Any thoughts on this set up and what esc should i be using 40 or 60amp.
Are their any other mod's I need to be aware off or weakness that need tweeking.
Streetluge Chris is offline Find More Posts by Streetluge Chris
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:41 PM
Joined Jul 2011
331 Posts
Hey Chris. My advice is take extra care with the elevators/horizontal stabilizers. They break very easily. Just in handling them, not flying. And if your canopy self stick washers fell off, just clear tape over them to hold them on. The magnets work good thru the tape.
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
331 Posts
I got to fly my T45 yesterday with my various batteries. There was almost no wind and it dropped my mph reading from my previous flights.

3300mah 4S 35C NanoTech hit 87 mph.
3300mah 4S 65C NanoTech hit 95 mph.
3000mah 4S 40C SkyLipo hit 92 mph.

Not what I was expecting after bench thrust testing showed such a big increase with the 65C battery. Now that I have my horizontal stabilizers all set, I guess it's time to put in a thrust tube.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,578 Posts
Quote:
I got to fly my T45 yesterday with my various batteries. There was almost no wind and it dropped my mph reading from my previous flights.

3300mah 4S 35C NanoTech hit 87 mph.
3300mah 4S 65C NanoTech hit 95 mph.
3000mah 4S 40C SkyLipo hit 92 mph.

Not what I was expecting after bench thrust testing showed such a big increase with the 65C battery. Now that I have my horizontal stabilizers all set, I guess it's time to put in a thrust tube.
As I posted before ... approaching 140kph - the T45 hits a brick wall..... as an EDF. Even in full size it is not an airframe designed for speed - it is one designed for stable jet training duties, with secondary use as a ground-attack machine.

Many of the YouTube speed claims when properly processed fall far short of posted speeds ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
331 Posts
My numbers do seem to support what you say solentlife. Maybe I'm wasting my time trying to get it to go faster. Thanks.
Old Today, 01:16 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,578 Posts
Quote:
My numbers do seem to support what you say solentlife. Maybe I'm wasting my time trying to get it to go faster. Thanks.
I've been pushing T45's to limits for linger than I care to remember .... best I got with EDF was my 50mm on 5000kv, 4S, 6 blade. That maxed out at 160kph. The Lanyu T45 - a better slightly smaller T45 of 64mm with same setup stock as Salad ...I put 4300kv, 4S, 5 blade and hit similar numbers. Only way I got more and then it was averaging 190kph ... was to swap to Pusher prop and a 3200kv heli motor on 4s.... that was my spare 50mm T45.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife