HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2014, 08:23 PM
Oh, Ho, Ho, It's Magic!
Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,026 Posts
I'm going to bolt my wing from the top and permanently glue the air scoop. I can save the hassel and weight of those two long wood screws.

The canopy/hatch I will retain with a rubber band (intenally) and do away with the two bolts and blind nuts.
mrfirkin is offline Find More Posts by mrfirkin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:56 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBlackSheep View Post
Good to know some one else tried the magnets and hook. It will be easier for pre-flight if I don't have to put the screws in. I read about the canopy earlier in the thread. I'll be using the bolts too.

The other thing I encountered was the spinner cone bolt. It was 1/2" too short. I don't know what adapters work with the 60 or 90 but the adapters don't work with the 110 motor and its adapters. So I had to get a 10-32x3" bolt to screw the spinner on. Fits perfect with the adapter that comes with the E-flite 110.
Warning to everyone re the scoop. Dont rely on just the stock magnets and the dowel. On maiden, lost the scoop after take off as I peeled around into my first bank. Did not like the screws either. Have since added extra rare earth magnets onto the wing and scoop with no further issues.
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Nov 24, 2014, 02:44 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Warning to everyone re the scoop. Dont rely on just the stock magnets and the dowel. On maiden, lost the scoop after take off as I peeled around into my first bank. Did not like the screws either. Have since added extra rare earth magnets onto the wing and scoop with no further issues.
Thanks for the update.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:22 PM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
601 Posts
After getting all the regular life stuff out of the way, I managed to get the decals on and solder some connectors for the batteries and get them mounted in place and checked the CG. I haven't mounted the antenna, glued the guns or exhaust on yet cause I want to paint some detail on them first. Other than pre-flight check, its ready to fly. I was pleasantly surprised that the AUW came out to 11.8 lbs. (5.35 kg). I usually build heavy. E-flite 110 motor, 2 x 4C 4500mAh series batteries and 3C 750mAh for Rx. All batteries in place and the CG works out at 4.6" aft of the wings leading edge.

Decided to go with the Excalibur decals. The right side sword is backwards and I need to find a check board stencil to paint white checkers on the tail. Will probably make that from painters tape.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:08 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
284 Posts
Hey Black Sheep. Noticed you added the panel lines on the cowl. Nice work.
Can I ask what brand pen you used for that detail?

Also noted how much closer your cowl's silver matches the body work than mine...
Will have to airbrush mine as it is too grey, not enough silver. Thinking the fibreglass will be OK to paint.

Also surprised you could use the battery box as designed. Mine came out too tail heavy for me to do this and get away with it.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:55 PM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
601 Posts
I used fine point permanent markers made by BIC. They have a set that has a ton of colors in it that match most any camo colors you might be painting on your plane. This set has been in my tool box for a few years now and hasn't dried up either! The Sharpies bought at the same time dried up...

I didn't have to paint my silver but the nice thing about FG takes paint just fine and you don't have to worry about it disappearing like foam does. I think they are taking a bit more effort to build this kit better now days cause I found the fit and finish to be pretty good and I didn't see some of the flaws in mine that I have heard complaints about on this forum. Although I did find some flaws like one of the gear linkage was crooked.

I think my selection of motor is what helped me with the CG. The E-flite 110 is a monster and weights a full pound. Plus to make it fit correctly in the cowl I had to also get these spacers to hang it out there more.

http://www.advantagehobby.com/115955/HAN242030/

I also used a bit bigger ESC than I really need too cause the day I was ready to order everything, nobody had the HV ESC I was looking for. The motor/spacers had more to do with getting the CG than anything else.

I plan to get a nice 4 blade prop for it and do some more weathering and detail work on it but I want to get the maiden flight out of the way first.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:49 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
684 Posts
The Biela scale 4 blade 16x8 is a great combo for the 110 motor. I am running it on 8S and it really flies nice, has decent speed and sounds good.
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Today, 03:19 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
601 Posts
Woohoo! P-51D maiden flight done! Geez... got that out of the way. Got them maiden flight butterflies out too. Now I can get on with finishing the details and fix the things that reared their ugly head during the flight. I almost flubbed the take-off. Once she was in the air and trimmed, she flew like she was on rails! Awesome! However, on landing the tail wheel loosened and she wanted to make a hard right turn into curb at the edge of the runway. Tried to correct left but that just made it go straight, so I had to turn hard right again to try and spin her out and only bumped the curb. Still in one piece and hardly scratched. I'll fix the tail wheel and give her a good check over before the next flight.

I do not like having to remove the canopy bolts to access the batteries and electronics. That was a pain to remove during pre-flight check and re-check. I'm going to use a latch to make the canopy easier to remove. My wife shot the video with my camera phone so its not the greatest.

I do like this plane!

My P 51D 2 (1 min 54 sec)
Last edited by RCBlackSheep; Today at 03:59 AM.
Old Today, 09:21 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
284 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Black Sheep.
Wow! She was fair humming with the 110 in it.
And your take off and landing both looked a little "hole tightening" if you'll pardon the expression.
Dont know that I would have had the courage to go off a road like that. I guess the salt lake has made me a little soft?

As far as canopy goes. Again rare earth magnets worked for me.