HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2014, 04:08 PM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
Finishing Half Hull - need some advice

Hi -

Not sure this is the right spot, but thought I would try.

I am finishing a BlueJacket Half Hull model of the Endeavour. I started the project 4 years ago and ended up putting it back in a box after our youngest was born. I decided to paint it instead of varnishing it as this was my first attempt and not perfect.

Anyway, the hull is primed and I believe at least two coats of paint on it (used Floquil/Model Master enamels). These coats went down nicely with an airbrush, but I didn't get the 'smooth' finish I was looking for. I used the paints that Blue Jacket provided and it appears both are flat finish (which not sure why I didn't notice 4 years ago!).

I'm looking to finish it up and am curious if someone can give me advice on how to finish this up nicely.

I would like the top to have some gloss to it and the bottom to be more flat. I can't seem to find suitable enamels with a gloss finish (plus Floquil is long gone) to finish this up.

Here are my questions:
1) Can I use Tamiya gloss acrylic (x3 royal blue) over the enamel to get that more glossy look? Everything I've read says as long as its cured it should be okay (I think 4 years is enough cure time!).
2) If I put acrylic down, should I use an acrylic red for the bottom? I'm thinking so as once I put acrylic down I don't want to put any more enamels on it...
3) At what point should I knock the edge around the water line that has built up? Should I do that after the top/bottom acrylic layers are done? Or do it now? I'm worried about damaging the finish above/below the water line...

I attached the look I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks in advance

Jason
jpmcclain is offline Find More Posts by jpmcclain
Last edited by jpmcclain; Jul 06, 2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: more info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 05:18 AM
United States, MA, Mid-Cambridge
Joined Apr 2008
55 Posts
Personally I'm a big fan of rattle cans for the big models. I use Krylon "Ruddy Brown" for a bottom color and Rustoleum High Heat Blacks - both matt and Ultra. I spray the Ultra as a base coat, which dries too glossy for my taste. Then I spray the matt black on top of that and it tones down to a nice semi-gloss black. If you are laying down a white edge stripe, always do that first.
Glen the Rotor is offline Find More Posts by Glen the Rotor