Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:23 AM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Discussion
Carful what you invent...

A little caution when you invent something, you could be a victim of your own invention.

http://news.discovery.com/human/life...m#mkcpgn=otbn1
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyCNC ProBoard...
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:54 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
294 Posts
the guys who built the Pinto with wings and an engine (that fell off in flight) come to mind.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jun 29, 2013, 03:19 AM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
the guys who built the Pinto with wings and an engine (that fell off in flight) come to mind.
I lived in the area at the time, the second car turned up not long ago.

I used to deliver newspapers, I found out about this car while folding papers getting ready to make the delivery, lets just say there are better ways to get on the front page above the fold of a local paper. My father had a curiosity about this little project and he shared what he learned about it. From what I understand a wing buckled and at about 1000 feet on this advanced concept car and it reverted to being a Pinto checking out that old equation about 32 feet per second per second... ending in of all things a pinto involved in flames. (An image that just seemed to follow the car around.)

I have been thinking about building an R/C version for a good long while, first as kind of a joke, now more of a bit of forgotten history. I have been researching this one for a while for a build as a back burner project until I get my large vacuform up and running. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel I am looking at basing it on a 1/12 or 1/8 scale existing chassis with a PTEG/Lexan body with a foam wing and maybe one day offering it as a kit.

As far as I know there were 2 cars but only 1 set of wings in the Mizar inventory.

Henry had a good idea but I think using an existing car with all it's steel body weight may have been a "boo boo".

There are a lot of pages on this car now, most are just copies but there are a few good pages.

The family of the pilot/owner of this endeavor came out to see the surviving car in 2009 and posed with it and signed it, don't know if that increased the value but it was more to add to the cars history scrapbook.

Enjoy, you can also Google "MIZAR Henry A. Smolinski" for more

Http://www.cookieboystoys.com/mizar/11%20mizar.htm
Galpin Motors - AVE Mizar - The Flying Pinto (10 min 23 sec)

Fabulous Fords 2009 at Knotts Berry Farm (5 min 56 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:05 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,664 Posts
Crazy Maverick flying car crash footage (2 min 15 sec)
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:38 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
I lived in the area at the time, the second car turned up not long ago.

I used to deliver newspapers, I found out about this car while folding papers getting ready to make the delivery, lets just say there are better ways to get on the front page above the fold of a local paper. My father had a curiosity about this little project and he shared what he learned about it. From what I understand a wing buckled and at about 1000 feet on this advanced concept car and it reverted to being a Pinto checking out that old equation about 32 feet per second per second... ending in of all things a pinto involved in flames. (An image that just seemed to follow the car around.)

I have been thinking about building an R/C version for a good long while, first as kind of a joke, now more of a bit of forgotten history. I have been researching this one for a while for a build as a back burner project until I get my large vacuform up and running. Not wanting to reinvent the wheel I am looking at basing it on a 1/12 or 1/8 scale existing chassis with a PTEG/Lexan body with a foam wing and maybe one day offering it as a kit.

As far as I know there were 2 cars but only 1 set of wings in the Mizar inventory.

Henry had a good idea but I think using an existing car with all it's steel body weight may have been a "boo boo".

There are a lot of pages on this car now, most are just copies but there are a few good pages.

The family of the pilot/owner of this endeavor came out to see the surviving car in 2009 and posed with it and signed it, don't know if that increased the value but it was more to add to the cars history scrapbook.

Enjoy, you can also Google "MIZAR Henry A. Smolinski" for more

Http://www.cookieboystoys.com/mizar/11%20mizar.htm
http://youtu.be/rzv4q5EEy1k
http://youtu.be/_77D_l_flCA
Good links, thanks! I remember hearing Cessna Skymasters always had problems with the rear engine overheating anyhow...
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
I never could understand why inventors or creative people are always ridiculed. Some cultures have perfected this to they point that no body invents anything . They only copy. The nail that sticks up gets hammered syndrome

.NIH, not invented here, is very common in big compaines.as a lot of inventors found out the hard way. I changed a design from Vacuum tubes to transistors years ago. . When it was laughed at I left and stared my own company. It took us 6 years to put them in bankruptcy. Their management just didn't see the train wreck coming. Kodak, NCR and etc etc. are good examples.

Our culture is determined to follow this practice of ridicule.They even have a word for it -,nerds. It starts at about Jr. High school. To really put a clamp on new inventions the Government shut down most manufacturing. Very effective .

I made a good living inventing things . One son even makes even a better living by being a patent attorney.

In our hobby how long did we have to put up with every body flying on the same frequency? Some one went to the trouble of inventing and developing a new system where we don't have to worry about another flyer turning on his transmitter and causing a crash.

What was your point of your mad scientist picture? I see no benefit from it other then ridicule.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:40 PM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Good links, thanks! I remember hearing Cessna Skymasters always had problems with the rear engine overheating anyhow...
One day you are the president of your own company and the next, well, happens. Success probably claims more victims than failure so... "Damned if you do and damned if you don't".

There are a few guys out there trying to offer up the flying car. Some have been on it a very long time and I don't think they are going away.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2013
35 Posts
Quote:
And still do.
epipedon is offline Find More Posts by epipedon
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:49 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epipedon View Post
And still do.
Probably would have worked better to have hung a Rogallo wing on it and an 0-360 and prop on the back.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 08:26 PM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
looks like gramps lost the camera and it got tangled in the lines?

depends, never fly without them...
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:17 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
One day you are the president of your own company and the next, well, happens. Success probably claims more victims than failure so... "Damned if you do and damned if you don't".

There are a few guys out there trying to offer up the flying car. Some have been on it a very long time and I don't think they are going away.
yep...
STEVE SAINT HOSPITALIZED - CBN.com (2 min 47 sec)
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Last edited by daddiozz; Jul 01, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 01:59 AM
whiirrrrrr
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron 1 View Post
I never could understand why inventors or creative people are always ridiculed. Some cultures have perfected this to they point that no body invents anything . They only copy. The nail that sticks up gets hammered syndrome

.NIH, not invented here, is very common in big compaines.as a lot of inventors found out the hard way. I changed a design from Vacuum tubes to transistors years ago. . When it was laughed at I left and stared my own company. It took us 6 years to put them in bankruptcy. Their management just didn't see the train wreck coming. Kodak, NCR and etc etc. are good examples.

Our culture is determined to follow this practice of ridicule.They even have a word for it -,nerds. It starts at about Jr. High school. To really put a clamp on new inventions the Government shut down most manufacturing. Very effective .

I made a good living inventing things . One son even makes even a better living by being a patent attorney.

In our hobby how long did we have to put up with every body flying on the same frequency? Some one went to the trouble of inventing and developing a new system where we don't have to worry about another flyer turning on his transmitter and causing a crash.

What was your point of your mad scientist picture? I see no benefit from it other then ridicule.

Great post! You're right, there is a stigma for being smart. I think that contributed to me not getting good grades or doing my best in high school. I was plenty smart enough, but didn't want to be a nerd. Even with the nerd stigma, look at how far we've advanced in the last 200 years, compared to the last 4-5 thousand!
srt8madness is online now Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Check out this flying car.

Flying Car ► Pal-V One (2 min 58 sec)
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:19 AM
Dave?
Joined Aug 2003
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Looks like a specialty shop will be needed to maintain it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2013, 06:40 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Technically ,thats more motorcycle than car .Still cool though...
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz