HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:49 AM
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
Discussion
Charging Hubsan X4 for a true newbie

OK - I've been looking around a lot and see that there are high end chargers costing ~ $100 and which have horrendously poor manuals written in Chin-glish and defeat fellows with two masters degrees. However, for now I only want to be able to charge 1-4 of the tiny batteries for my X4 reasonably quickly and absolutely safely. There seems to be lots of talk and documentation aimed at the high end of things, but I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to the info that I'm looking for.

The X4 charging cable come with a male USB plug on the non-battery end, so that has me wondering if it's safe to charge using a USB port on my PC. There's a small L.E.D. inside the USB plug that the manual says will go off when the charging is complete.

I also have a small, hinge-out AC prong, charger for the battery used in my Nikon camera. The output is given as 5V and .55A. I've read a number of articles/posts that suggest the 5V is somehow adjusted for a battery needing only 4.3 - or is it 3.7?

I was present and watching the charging, and had draped the battery into a tall, narrow pot for cooking asparagus, which I figured would keep me out of the line of fire if the worst happened. I did not have a bucket of sand on standby.

So - can I use either of the two means mentioned above? From what I've read, the Nikon is probably faster, as the USB ports on my PC are not charging-specific, so I gather somewhat slow - say 100 ma per hour?

Since I have this cheap cable with the male USB on the end, I've been looking at Li-Po specific chargers that might have a female receptacle for it. However, I suspect that I should be considering getting a new connector cable and use a charger more specifically designed for this type battery.

I just tried an ill-advised experiment. I had recalled that I bought an extra charger from BG, and see that the connector will fit the Beetle King I also bought, but that the X4 battery cables would not fit into it. The foolish part was cutting off the “alignment flanges” on the sides of the X4 connector, so I could slide the holes over the pins inside the red plastic housing at the output end of the charger.

The input end seems a bit dicey also, as the charger has two round pins and I bought a DC connector fo it, but there’s only two pins on it and they’re both the same width, and the fit on the round pins isn’t that great, so it tends to slide off. Anyway, within less than a minute of plugging this all together I started getting a bad feeling and smell at about the same time, and noticed that something seemed to be getting a tad warm. I unplugged the changer from the outlet, and detached the battery and dumped it (gently) into the asparagus can.

On the assumption that without having the “alignment flanges” to enforce correct polarization, I suspect I got my leads crossed up. I’m tempted to just reverse how I insert the battery leads, but have decided that I’ve done enough experimenting for one late night – very late indeed on the east coast, and actually far closer to morning.

So – the two basic questions are whether I can/should use any of the stuff I have on hand; OR, if not, what should I get to meet my needs for the immediate future, which may well include the desire to charge multiple small cells at the same time, but no consideration of a need to balance them. In short, I don’t want to overpay for whatever I might find at the shack (likely designed for “communication devices”, while I also don’t want to have to wait for a package from China.

Thanks, Charles
Boston
VeloTrain is offline Find More Posts by VeloTrain
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
I'm amazed

Close to 100 people have read this request for what I would have thought was fairly basic info, but none have had the knowledge and/or inclination to respond.

I guess I'll try that other forum.
VeloTrain is offline Find More Posts by VeloTrain
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:54 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
for what it's worth I use my Ipod charger with the included USB charge cable that came with the Hubsan - works great - you could also use your computer, but is that going to give a consistent charge...... don't know.......
phatchantz is offline Find More Posts by phatchantz
Old Jan 09, 2014, 11:17 AM
Sheffield, UK
Joined Apr 2006
11 Posts
I use the USB wall plug that came with my iPad 1. Seems to work fine. I've also charged it from a PC USB port and it worked, but it did take a little longer. I've not timed out how long but I've read these batteries normally charge in 40 minutes.

I have the 380mAh battery that came with the Hubsan X4 104C with camera, and normally LiPos are charged at what is called "1C". This means charging at 380mA for 1 hr = 380mAh.

If the USB charger can do it in 40 mins it must be charging at around (60/40) x 380mAh = 570mA. (60 mins / 40 mins = 1.5C).

The iPad 1 10W charger is rated at 5V 2.1A so has plenty of capacity for the Hubsan charger.

To your question about experimenting, no, this is a really bad idea if you don't know what you're doing. Short circuiting or reverse polarity, or overcharging a LiPo could give bad results, worst case fire!

Neil.
neilp is offline Find More Posts by neilp
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:24 PM
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
I used a wall mounted USB charger. The charger exploded and tripped the fuse in my house. Does anyone know why this happened? Oh and my USB charger cable lights up even before you connect it to the mains(it must be drawing electricity from the battery). Is this normal or is it a case of reverse polarity within the cable?
yuscho is offline Find More Posts by yuscho
Old Jan 11, 2014, 03:53 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuscho View Post
I used a wall mounted USB charger. The charger exploded and tripped the fuse in my house. Does anyone know why this happened?
Poor quality USB charger. This happens on occasion when the primary QC agent is the end-consumer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuscho View Post
Oh and my USB charger cable lights up even before you connect it to the mains(it must be drawing electricity from the battery). Is this normal or is it a case of reverse polarity within the cable?
Yep, that's normal. The cable has an LED in it that illuminates whenever there's a voltage potential present.

Honestly, I'd recommend that you consider an alternate charger at some point. Even a $25 Accucell-6 would be vastly superior and would allow you to charge 20 of your X4 batteries in parallel in ~1 hour.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2014, 08:38 AM
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
Hubsan x4 charging; 3.7V 380mAh

I also am a noob and a bit confused about all the threads and different recommendations. I have 6 batteries and want to be able to charge 5 of them at once and in about the same time it takes to charge one via the USB cable. So if I get this charger:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

and this balance charging cable:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A341NIIVBTYVTL,

I should be able to do this correct?
Gallen1119 is offline Find More Posts by Gallen1119
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:33 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,942 Posts
Yes, it'll work just fine.

Simply connect all of your packs to the cable and then connect the cable to the output of the charger. Select '1S Lipo charge' on the charger and set desired charge current based upon the aggregate capacity of all of your packs (5 x 380 = 1900mAh). 1C charge rate would thus be 1.9A. 2C would be 3.8A. 3C would be 5.7A.

Welcome to RCGroups!

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2014, 07:16 PM
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
Thx Mark! Loving this forum and my Hubsan x4. Getting better...worked on "nose-in" flying today. Burned through all 6 batteries pretty quick.

Want to do a build once I have flying down a bit better! Super interested in all the discussions.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:16 PM
Joined Dec 2013
16 Posts
Charging Hubsan X4 (H107L) __6*1S 3.7V Lipo Battery Charger BC-1S06

BC-1S06 6*1S 3.7V Lipo Battery Charger__Charging Different Capacity(mAh) 3.7V Lipo Battery

Features:
- Support 6*1S Li-Po batteries charging at a time
- High charging efficiency
- Energy saving and environment protecting
- Suitable for charging when flying outside
- Compatible with Walkera & Hubsan Battery&MCPX Battery &JST Battery

Specification:
- Input: DC 7V~30V (12V, 2-4A recommended)
- Charge Current: 6*500mA
- Cutoff Voltage: 4.16V-4.24V per cell
- USB Output: 5V, 3A
- Weight: 70.3g
- Dimension: 81 x 51 x 20mm
HobbyTiger is offline Find More Posts by HobbyTiger
Old Jun 30, 2014, 08:54 PM
Joined Jun 2014
3 Posts
Maybe I'm overthinking all this...

Ok, another charging question. I received the Tenergy Accucel 6 and the 1S x5 balance charging cable as above in post #7. I dug up an old laptop power supply that puts out 12V @ 4.2 Amps. I know the Tenergy will take 6A, but this should do for now for my purposes. Questions I have are about connections.

The balance charging cable has two inputs. One is red and has two holes, female. I assume this is main charging power, correct? Should I just clip this off and use the banana clips on the Tenergy output, or should I buy an adapter?

Second input on the balance cable is white, two holes, female with little tabs on side. I think it's called a JST-EHR as best I can tell. Here's the main question...the output side of the Accucel has balance plug connections with 3-7 connectors (2S-6S, correct?). How do I go about connecting the 1S JST-ESR when the Accucel doesn't have a plug for this?

If this is written about elsewhere, I am happy to educate myself if you can point me in the correct direction.

Greg
Last edited by Gallen1119; Jun 30, 2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 18, 2014, 06:33 PM
Joined Aug 2014
1 Posts
So what is the charging time

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyTiger View Post
BC-1S06 6*1S 3.7V Lipo Battery Charger__Charging Different Capacity(mAh) 3.7V Lipo Battery

Features:
- Support 6*1S Li-Po batteries charging at a time
- High charging efficiency
- Energy saving and environment protecting
- Suitable for charging when flying outside
- Compatible with Walkera & Hubsan Battery&MCPX Battery &JST Battery

Specification:
- Input: DC 7V~30V (12V, 2-4A recommended)
- Charge Current: 6*500mA
- Cutoff Voltage: 4.16V-4.24V per cell
- USB Output: 5V, 3A
- Weight: 70.3g
- Dimension: 81 x 51 x 20mm
Ok ... I know this is an old post and I also noob.... How long will this unit take to charge one battery... Cuz using laptop takes about 2hours and ipad adapter takes about 1.5 hours
mgfiest is online now Find More Posts by mgfiest
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2014
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallen1119 View Post
Here's the main question...the output side of the Accucel has balance plug connections with 3-7 connectors (2S-6S, correct?). How do I go about connecting the 1S JST-ESR when the Accucel doesn't have a plug for this?

If this is written about elsewhere, I am happy to educate myself if you can point me in the correct direction.

Greg
Greg, did you figure this out, I am trying to figure out the exact same thing?
Nb8k is offline Find More Posts by Nb8k
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Watching EKRAN
Joined Jul 2013
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallen1119 View Post
Here's the main question[/SIZE][/B]...the output side of the Accucel has balance plug connections with 3-7 connectors (2S-6S, correct?). How do I go about connecting the 1S JST-ESR when the Accucel doesn't have a plug for this?
In other words, what is the connector of one cell balancing?
varis is offline Find More Posts by varis