HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:35 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,289 Posts
Question
First build Qestion...End-grain servo box in P2 bagged wing?

Tomorrow, I plan on starting to build three NIB Predator 2 Low Wing DLGs for myself and my father.

These will be the first genuinely new DLGs we've had, and the first time I've ever had to actually build a DLG.

Would adding end-grain balsa around the inside of the wing-servo pockets add strength, or more importantly, reduce "stress-risers" that might cause the wing to crease or fold?

I would rather add a few grams when it's new to prevent a major catastrophe than to have the wing crumple and crash the plane and have to fix that.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim Carlson
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:37 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,843 Posts
Tim,

Do you have the cf D box or the regular wings? I've had no problems with my cf D box, but I put the servos in the cf reinforcement. Neither has my son.

Dunno about the regular wings. On other fg wings, I've put a piece of cf inside the box on the top skin (top mounted flap drives).

Good luck,

Gary
GaryO is online now Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,289 Posts
I have the Carbon D-Box P2, as does my dad. We plan on doing "ugly" top drive, for the simplicity of it, and the protection of the linkages during non-hand catch landings.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:15 PM
SoCal
Joined May 2006
158 Posts
Why not just put all the servos in the pod? All in the pod is the way that CJ designed it.

Everything in the pod works really good.

Ron R.
rrunyan is offline Find More Posts by rrunyan
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,289 Posts
I've killed more than a few D47s, and even a few d60 servos. I would've done 4 in the pod if I could afford the MKS DS65K, but I couldn't justify doubling the cost of the plane just by putting in the electronics.

I'll be using JR285s in the fuse, and MKS DS450s in the wings.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:31 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,664 Posts
Dont know how good you are at soldering but what I do is set the servo in the wing into a very tight well layed out pocket. If You can solder well and stagger the joints rather than the typical clump you can pull soldered servo wire into the channel as you push the servo into the tight hole. If the servo is snug all way round when the wing is trying to flex it is essentially trying to crush the servo. Its as though you replaced the foam with servo. Vertical balsa isnt needed. Many get away without it anyways. Make a jig for your dremal. Its easy to make a tight square pocket.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,289 Posts
Thanks, guys. Today, I talked with a local that has built a P2, along with a bunch of his own planes, and a hand full of other SGII derived planes.

It seems I've been over thinking things, and mixing up info for similar, but different wings.

I had planned on doing a staggered solder job when extending the flaperon servo wires, to reduce the "bundle", and to allow me to keep the channel as small as possible.

As far as servo pockets go, I appreciate the helpful hints. Since I'm only building a few of these, I'll likely use Oleg's instructions for the Taboo, where the pocket sides are cut with a spade-style Xacto blade, extra foam "picked" out, then routed to depth, little by little, using a spare hunk of foam to set the proper depth.

Thanks again, guys.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:35 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
763 Posts
not sure the DS450 will fit into a P2 wing without showing a few mm. on the surface... D-47 just fits and that's tight.
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:35 PM
Joined Jun 2008
5,289 Posts
Based on what my caliper reads, it'll just barely fit, skin to skin. If the bottom skin is marginally proud, I'm not going to sweat it. Or at least try not to.

I want this to be "perfect", but I lack the knowledge and skills to do so. I've already cut one pocket 1mm too small in each direction, so I called it quits for the night.

I sure wish i knew why it is I get frustrated so easily.
Last edited by carlsoti; Feb 02, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:40 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,843 Posts
Tim,

Not to doubt your calipers, but my D-47's are just barely flush.

It's really not hard to install the buried pushrods. Much cleaner installation, IMHO, and the launch of the P2 is one of it's strong points. Less drag is better.

Good luck,

Gary
GaryO is online now Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:58 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,282 Posts
Tim,
I too vote for a buried top drive install. Not difficult at all. I retrofitted my Vandal in a short time. I used a lightweight clevis on the flap horn to simplify the installation.

If you have a dead wing around try it on it first. It is really easy! Mount your flp horn last to ensure it is in the correct position.

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp