Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:35 AM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisM View Post
Is there any water body to fly off?
Grass works too but there other planes which can fly off the grass....
we actually fly ours off the sandy beaches a lot. and lakes when on vacation. it is a great plane.
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 04:52 PM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,996 Posts
Picked up a PU recently and have been having a lot of fun with it.

Thanks to all the previous contributors for their ideas and mods. Mine incorporates most of them. I have been flying it on a 4S set up which certainly gives it plenty of poop - alarmingly so sometimes .

One thing I noticed recently was that a couple of small cracks had appeared in the foam where the engine nacelle meets the fin. This was probably superficial, but was allowing the nacelle to move slightly so I just inserted a small wedge of light ply and she's rock solid now.

Great flying model.
KiwiKid is offline Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jazilla 3.2m flying wing
Old Aug 12, 2014, 07:35 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
Picked up a PU recently and have been having a lot of fun with it.

Thanks to all the previous contributors for their ideas and mods. Mine incorporates most of them. I have been flying it on a 4S set up which certainly gives it plenty of poop - alarmingly so sometimes .

One thing I noticed recently was that a couple of small cracks had appeared in the foam where the engine nacelle meets the fin. This was probably superficial, but was allowing the nacelle to move slightly so I just inserted a small wedge of light ply and she's rock solid now.

Great flying model.
Glad you are enjoying the plane KiwiKid. I like the panel line detail. That looks sharp!

Scott
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Aug 17, 2014, 09:12 PM
China, Zhejiang, Hangzhou
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Sorry about off-topic:
BMW, I tried to view your vid (Post 1650) but Youtube says it's private. Is that because I'm behind China's Great Firewall? I have to use a proxy to open YT at all... :-(
kpjones7 is online now Find More Posts by kpjones7
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
615 Posts
KpJones: I'm in Europe and now it is inaccessible to me too. It was visible for me before.
The long off-topic FPV discussion with different points of view may have caused different settings for this video. PM BMW to find out.

How is your ARF Polaris taking shape?
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
245 Posts
AK68, I have changed YouTube settings for certain videos based on the current angst over here regarding FPV/altitude, etc. I should edit my post.... On a brighter side, I just posted another Polaris video (3 Polaris Flights) to my channel, for anyone interested. It's a compilation of 3 flights, one going for some distance but running out of battery... Actually two battery related landings.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgl...WwAV1T9Ybp0fSg
bmw111 is online now Find More Posts by bmw111
Old Today, 12:39 AM
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
ak68, I'm set to take my maiden, but it's been raining for four days straight. Instead of chopping the rudder, I installed a piece of epoxied basswood at the end of the fuse. Most of my flights are probably going to be from water, so I plan to do a few fast water taxis to make sure everything's water-tight and that the dragger tracks straight. Got my Master 3-blade yesterday, shipped with a 2-blade. It's balanced and on the bird. Just got back from where my local Walmart used to be to see if they had some craft paint, I had hoped to paint the pontoons red and green for orientation, but they're gone. Not a major annoyance...

Just hurry up and wait.
Old Today, 03:51 AM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
615 Posts
BMW Thanks for sharing youtube channel and explanation. The style of some landings begs for a tough belly.

kpjones7: Don't worry about painting red and green for orientation. It all turns grey in the distance.
Better to have a distinct pattern build up with wide bands of light and dark tones. Top of wing different from bottom. Don't fly too far away. Don't fly between the sun and yourself.
Happy landings!

With currently 6 posts you did I don't have a clue about your flight experience. I did my first flight and maiden with my scratchbuild polaris and learned: Always collect ALL the pieces. Some practicing on a RC-flightsimulator pays off.

For the maiden: do a range check, check for inverted control surfaces before takeoff. Plan where and how to land before takeoff. Remove all trees. Fly high. It gives you time to recover. Keep the nose in the wind and don't do slow downwind turns. Oh well... Wish you succes!

Shaky legs and trembling thumb is normal for a maiden.
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Last edited by ak68; Today at 04:05 AM.
Old Today, 10:28 AM
Live Free and Fly
Joined Apr 2013
245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak68 View Post
BMW Thanks for sharing youtube channel and explanation. The style of some landings begs for a tough belly.
Yes, the Polaris Ultra is one tough plane. If you watch the vids on my channel I've landed on just about every type of surface, other than water -- which is ironic.

I have a couple extra belly pans, and cover those with shipping tape. I can take off from any surface other than tall grass, and land anywhere. The beauty of a belly-lander!
bmw111 is online now Find More Posts by bmw111
Old Today, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Haha, ak, thanks for the pointers! I did gas R/C when there wasn't a lot of tech going on back in the '70's. I crashed a lot of balsa planes back then. It's the new technology that's brought me back. Foamies? 2.4 GHz SS? I spent most of my meantime sailboat racing, but here in the "sleepy village" of Hangzhou, there's none of that going on.
Old Today, 09:20 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjones7 View Post
Haha, ak, thanks for the pointers! I did gas R/C when there wasn't a lot of tech going on back in the '70's. I crashed a lot of balsa planes back then. It's the new technology that's brought me back. Foamies? 2.4 GHz SS? I spent most of my meantime sailboat racing, but here in the "sleepy village" of Hangzhou, there's none of that going on.
Ditto here, also 68.
Have not maidened mine as yet either.
Tim
w4yn is online now Find More Posts by w4yn