Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:14 PM
swede
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Discussion
Coroplast F-22

Here is a thread to discuss the coroplast F-22. As far as I know, I'm the first to build this out of coroplast. (Corrugated Plastic, or plastic cardboard). I wish I could say I thought of the original design. But I only made it better for combat. The overall design is the same, but there are some fundamental differences

The original foam design is supposed to be made out of Depron. It is much lighter, use as a smaller power system, and flies and looks great. It requires carbon fiber reinforcement. It is a great design, but I'm too lazy and cheap to build that type of plane for combat.

The coroplast design is a very simple build. It is heavier than the foam design, uses a bigger power system, and requires little or no reinforcement. It is a perfect alternative to wings for combat. The best part for me is it's very inexpensive.

Feel free to add your $.02, photos, thoughts, ideas, and comments.

edit:

Okay, it looks like I need to do a little updating and clarification. Up to about post #105, the F-22's were made from a solid orange coroplast. It was a bit heavier, and not as rigid as the newest ones. In reading the thread, it appears most of the issues were related to the orange ones.

After about post 105ish, I re-tooled the plane and started using some better coroplast. The result is a little bit smaller (than the orange ones) F-22, and more rigid. Ive spent several hours getting the currnt model where it is now.

Keep in mind, this is not your traditional rc plane. It is a beast, and will not be bothered as much if something isnt exact. It will fly great in about all circumstances, but it is still not for beginners. I need to dig through and post some pictures of the trashed planes that I have repaired and still flown without any problems.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Last edited by denial15; Apr 15, 2014 at 09:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:34 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,455 Posts
Hi Dan
I did a short article over on the Flitetest forum for the the coroplast F-22.
I'd like to reference this thread in the article.

http://flitetest.com/articles/F22_Co...ld_Ninja_Style

The plane in the picture is setup with:
fc2812 motor (hobbyking)
7x6 apc style prop (hobbyking)
25-30 esc (hobbyking)
1300mah 3s battery (hobbyking)
power hd 1711mg servos (valuehobby)
Orange 6ch receiver (hobbyking)
.055 control wire and two Dubro EZ connectors (LHS)

And here is the pic of my latest one (post sWARm version) very little departure from the original. I did add the two coro pieces on top to try to keep the rods from flexing and my motor mount is made from a paint stick from Home Depot.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Last edited by jetpackninja; Sep 23, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
The Home Depot paint stick motor mount is another excellent idea. Especially along the theme of inexpensive.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Just read your article. Very nice summary. Feel free to link this thread to it so they can get applicable information.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:53 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,455 Posts
We need to get some good videos of these things in flight. I'm pretty limited to my cell phone
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,956 Posts
We should talk Dan into making more types.. Maybe a MIG, F15....
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:09 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
We should talk Dan into making more types.. Maybe a MIG, F15....
Funny you should mention that. I saw a Mig thread not too long ago. That thought did cross mind today.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Funny you should mention that. I saw a Mig thread not too long ago. That thought did cross mind today.
I think it would be fun to have a few different types flying around at the same time. Maybe even in combat. Make them out of campaign signs next time...
ttabbal is online now Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Guess ill have to get mine going, got HS65MGs, just need red motor and possibly esc? I may try to use carbon fiber rods on servos
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechyour6 View Post
Guess ill have to get mine going, got HS65MGs, just need red motor and possibly esc? I may try to use carbon fiber rods on servos
CF rods should work if you can afford that kind of stuff. I have a 25 amp esc I'll trade you for a 5S charger if you want.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechyour6 View Post
czeckyour6- What kind of flying do you intend to do? If you are going to do your best Dan impersonation and fly it in combat I wouldn't go with the carbon fiber rods. If you are just going to fly it around and use it kinda like a trainer, I'm sure the carbon fiber control rods will do a great job of eliminating flex.
By the same token the HS65MG is a great servo but very expensive. if you are building a basher take a look at these:
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...hd-1711mg.html
I use these in my larger combat planes and for the F22. I use them as a drop in replacement for the HS82MG, every bit as good but a LOT cheaper.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
ive already got a few hs65s and saw earlier photo where it looked like metal rods got bent when they took a hit, prob wont do serious combat with it but who knows maybe ill wrap everything in kevlar fibers
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:49 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,455 Posts
Keeping with the theme of inexpensive:
Dan have you tried using marker flag wire?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,834 Posts
I haven't, but I know someone did. And they seemed to work acceptably well. This will fly with floppy wires, but it will fly a lot better with solid control rods much better. I was flying around on Saturday with really floppy wires.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:25 AM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,067 Posts
Any advice for the first toss? I have mine built and ready to go. I’m wondering about reflex and junk like that. Do I need any? Anything else that will help with the first flights?

I went super cheap with plastic gear servos from PlaneInsaneRC (shameless plug) and the 2812 Proportion kit which includes the 2812 motor, prop, esc, bullet connectors and prop adapter.

For push rods, you can always use bike wheel spokes. Find a junker on KSL for a couple bucks and your set.

Ryan
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC