Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
I was looking at a removable mast too. I thought if the rudder servo was moved out of the way then a bolt could be screwed up into the mast to keep it in place. I have since thought (since starting this post ) that it might be better to have a rod glued in the mast and passed down through the fus and a nut screwed on the bottom.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Must be some gyro telepathy going on here. I'm also building mine with a removable mast. I have put two short lengths of 12mmx6mm spruce at the front and rear of the mast (raked at same angle as mast) with 1.5mm ply side plates for support. I have simply put a 3mm bolt through the side for retention. I've left a slot along the top of fus for the mast backer to sit in. I've also raked F3 at the mast angle to better align the servo arms.

Also using two torsion bar piano wire u/c legs retained with saddle clamps underneath the fus base as per normal fixed-wing practice.

Cheers, Richard
beltec is offline Find More Posts by beltec
Old May 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,819 Posts
Good idea's keep them flowing I did think of tipping the servo mount back parallel with the mast when I was drawing. When I built it as per with a ball joint top and bottom it is fine.

Not sure how I will make mast removable yet, any photos of yours Richard? trying to picture how you have done it? I saw LG's yesterday and hes made a cracking job

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old May 14, 2012, 12:57 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Bit of a drop off though with the ham-fisted covering mistakes Thanks for the tips on disguise. I was hoping to get the blades made today, but work had to take precedence (especially after the Mayfly spending this weekend). Then there was some urgent wiring repairs need in the loft. MICE!!!!
Old May 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,819 Posts
Traps with chocolate or peanut butter as bait works well
Old May 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
This first one is going to have a removable mast.
I am going to drill through the upper part of F3 with a bit lined up using a tube so the bit passes through the mast.
Once I have a pilot hole I'll ream it to fit a CF tube of what diameter I have here.
Take the mast out and wick some thin CA round the hole to harden it in both the mast and B2.
Then with the mast in, and the CF tube in place I should have a firm mast but removable.
If it doesn't work I can just glue it in, so nothing lost.

I'm going to build several of these Fire Flies, so that means quite a few blades. One of the advantages of a few of anything is that it makes it worth organising the production. As a result I looked for edge gluing jigs to glue the leading edges on the blades. It's easier than lots of bits of masking tape when there's a dozen blades to make, and the jig is there for future use. The jig will allow gluing of 3' blades in case I get into big autogyros later. As the woodwork guys do this sort of thing all the time, I got out my google and found http://www.woodworkstuff.net/ClampEd1.html and http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...ue-thin-boards. Either one would do it, so I now have another delay to getting the first one finished
Last edited by Lazygit; May 14, 2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added gluing jig info.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
To decide if drilling fore-aft through the mast would weaken the mast too much, I drilled through a smaller section of white pine (as I had one available) It was 7mm x 5.3mm. I drilled through the thin face to take a 3mm CF tube. With the tube in place, I held it on the edge of a bench with the CF rod parallel to the bench, and the hole (and the rod) at the edge of the bench. I put over a pound at about a foot out from the edge, so as to bend the wood. No problem. As the real mast is 1/2" x 1/4" it will easily support 2lb, and so I think I can use this method for a removable mast.

I drilled a hole down a round stick to make a drill holder for a 1.7mm bit, to drill a pilot hole through the mast, and glued it in the stick with CA. Lined it up carefully on F3 and drilled the hole by hand hoping to hit the centre of the mast. MISSED!!. It was about 1mm out. So that's the size the hole is going to stay. I'll use a piece of thin CF rod, or more likely a piece of piano wire as a peg to hold it in place. The forces aren't large so I don't expect problems.
Last edited by Lazygit; May 15, 2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added mast drilling.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,819 Posts
Fuselage now covered, what you cant see are the 112 LED's that lie beneath. Need to get the tailplane made up now and try and laminate LED strips into the depron.
Would like to make them switchable but cant think of a way to do without adding a servo and micro switch, any ideas?

Regards
Rich
Old May 16, 2012, 10:55 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
640 Posts
Hi Rich,

Ive got mine on a solid state switch I got from hobby King, Search for LUM-ONF, its a switch that is operated from a spare channel and can handle 10A. Costs about a fiver if I remember,

Are you sure youv'e got enough lights !!!1

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Last edited by Gyrocopter; May 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added search detail
Old May 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,819 Posts
Chas,
Just had a quick search on Flea Bay, is this what you mean?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turnigy-Re...5#ht_500wt_969

Rich
Old May 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
640 Posts
Yup
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old May 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,819 Posts
Ordered...thanks Chas
Old May 17, 2012, 04:42 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,687 Posts
So it looks as if you are ready for the high jump then......................
Chris................
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old May 17, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
So it looks as if you are ready for the high jump then......................
Chris................
'sniff sniff' Lol!

Bar for the boom lights which can only be added on final assembly we have everything in place. May just add a switchable landing light if I get the chance.
Just waiting for the switch and running gear now.
The under carriage is off an ST discovery and to me it doesn't quite look correct so may cobble up something a bit wider.

On to number 4 then

Regards
Rich
Old May 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,819 Posts
Spent way to much time thinking of how I was going to make a removable mast so decided not to bother as it was valuable building time so covered No4.

All electrics came today for night flier and Number 4, No 4 just needs the tailplane making up and then just a case of adding all the controls etc.

Need to have a blade making session next, blanks have been glued its just a case of creating a bit of balsa dust.

Regards

Rich