Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormforce View Post
The servo's should make a sudden short flutter or jitter on power up, as they may have moved when you powered down or the arms may have dropped during storage, so when you power up, they settle back to the position the tx has them set to by the user programming. However, if a servo make's a constant noise or the arms constantly move like they are vibrating (jitter) it is from an over excited step motor within the servo, which usually means the servo motor is on it's way out.
Thanks Storm. They keep moving, so I'm guessing they are going south. Time for more parts. Now that I have a handle on the 911 ( love that thing), 9116, and the mjx45, what is next?
jeepdude is offline Find More Posts by jeepdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
The roofers nose and tail lite work but no red lite. The New board still won't bind. I bind up to the good heli, all normal. Should I consider pulling the new board and putting it in the roofer?

I remember you Ribble, youv'e helped me before,
Thank you,
DJ
Sculptor, I am in your immediate neighborhood,maybe we could trade notes,I have quite afew spare parts, PM me or email me and check your E-Mail , I left you a message
roadglidec is offline Find More Posts by roadglidec
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:38 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
Thanks Storm. They keep moving, so I'm guessing they are going south. Time for more parts. Now that I have a handle on the 911 ( love that thing), 9116, and the mjx45, what is next?
Yeah, mine jitter to at rest, but they've been like that for months, so I wouldn't worry too much, my motto is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I reckon you have plenty of time before they fail completely and will need replacing, but it would be prudent to get some new ones in over the next couple of weeks, just in case they do decide to go sooner than you expected.

When you replace them, which is very easy, just make sure you take notice of which way the plug goes on and where, as they can be put on in reverse. If in doubt, take a photo, before removing the plug, then make sure it goes on exactly the same way (with the metal tabs facing the middle of the pcb) the elevator plug goes on the inside and the aileron plug on the outside, noth plugs face the same direction.
stormforce is offline Find More Posts by stormforce
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:15 AM
Leland
Joined Jul 2012
251 Posts
Quote:
I just replaced one of mine yesterday. I was flying on Saturday and one of them went mid flight crashing my helicopter into a roof (it pulled so hard to the right there was no recovery). I took an old servo from another 9116 that I had and replaced it within 5 minutes I was up and ready to fly. Easy to do, but as mentioned take pictures or do an even swap while looking at another model.

These 9116's are fun to fly, but from my experience in the last 3 weeks they are money pits and some of the parts don't last long...
Ljryeaiii is offline Find More Posts by Ljryeaiii
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljryeaiii View Post
These 9116's are fun to fly, but from my experience in the last 3 weeks they are money pits and some of the parts don't last long...
Trust me when I say all rc heli's are money pits, quads are less so, but still require the replacement of parts, but less often. The more expensive the heli is, the more expensive the parts are, and usually more complicated to repair and setup.

Thankfully, the DH9116 is cheap and so are the parts and it's relatively easy to set it up and get it flying again, with little or no previous experience, and it's big enough that us older folk can see and handle the parts without the need of coke bottle bottom lenses is our glasses.

As I written many times before, the DH9116 teaches you the basics of flying, repairing and the correct terminology for those parts, so others can understand, if you wish to progress into the 6ch cp side of the hobby.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:24 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,441 Posts
When I first got my 9116 it was to teach me exactly what Stormforce suggests. I did not expect that I'd end up in the cooler waiting for the inner shaft orders to come in. Now that I have all the parts I could need, I find I rarely fly the 9116 as I find it frustrating compared to the V911s and the F45. I have ordered a new lipo to replace the stock battery and will probably rebuild it with replacement servos to see if that helps get me some real aileron effect (works great one way, not so great the other). If I can figure out the problem I'll return it to regular service, maybe as a secondary video carrying ship when the F45 is unavailable... otherwise it's going up for sale. Now that I'm testing out my V929's I'm thinking the V911's and the V929's are going to be my main flyers for some time.

The V911 was a blast when we went camping. I could zip around the campsite, dashing between the trees. I'd hover a few metres over the fire pit and ride the thermal and do piros until I crashed into a branch or the tent. I did fly the F45 at the campsite but it was quite boring due to limited space. One brat of a kid in particular ran out onto the field shouting about how the F45 was epic and that he wanted it to crash into him. Fortunately his older brother dragged him off the field so I could land & leave.

Not that I'm down on the 9116 - I have had some very good flights with it. In a big enough field when everything is working correctly it can get going pretty good and does some nice banked turns. I may just have just beat it up a bit too much in the beginning or maybe I have of a lemon on my hands.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
My 9116 just puked the main motor. Other than stock, is there a better replacement? Or just go with a stock one? Already replaced the tail assembly, need an aileron servo, this think is got the crap beat F45 needs plenty of fly space, but the little 911 is a beast. I did notice the f45 main motor gets hotter than hell. Heat sink? I'd like to get a different fp heli with a little more reliability. Any suggestions. Maybe get a whole new 9116. Any bnf's available? Thanks
jeepdude is offline Find More Posts by jeepdude
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Apparently the mSR balls are slightly smaller than the 9958, so there is just a bit too much slop or play, which in turn delays the input from the swash to the rotor head/blades.
Thats true.
Therefore I found it easyer to simply exchange the stock servo pushrod ends with MSR-Ends (its a buy-and-mount replacement) to use MSR bones.
Only issues:
- I had to exchange the stock main blade balls with 2mm steel balls, it's similar done to the "pinhead-repair"
- recalculating the positions of every element on the main rotor shaft and fixing them in the right position due to lenght-differences in dog-bones lenght and swash-plate-geometry.

But worked out like a charm - I'm deep in love already with the new abilities of this - my wife calls it "living-room-terror". It has become a completely other heli by characteristics.

Quote:
Yes, you can bind the 9958 to a 9116 tx. You will need to increase all the end points (EPA) for throttle, rudder, elevator and aileron to 120% and reverse the direction of the elevator and aileron in the programming. The 9116 will give you a slightly better flight distance than the oem tx, but not much, maybe up to 50m, but at that distance it's hard to see the little guy anyway.
Thanks Mick!
I just like the feel of the 9116-TX and want to try it with the xiedas. indoor only ;-)

Horrible summer in Germany this year - too much rain, too cold, too windy.....

Mike
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Quote:
My 9116 just puked the main motor. Other than stock, is there a better replacement? Or just go with a stock one? Already replaced the tail assembly, need an aileron servo, this think is got the crap beat F45 needs plenty of fly space, but the little 911 is a beast. I did notice the f45 main motor gets hotter than hell. Heat sink? I'd like to get a different fp heli with a little more reliability. Any suggestions. Maybe get a whole new 9116. Any bnf's available? Thanks
The market emphasis is on flybarless helis and there isn't much incentive to produce larger FP helis, other than specialty models. Flybarless helis have a lot fewer moving parts and the difference between FP and CP models is basically one more servo and some electronic mixing. So, why bother with FP models? Other than the 45 flybar models being marketed by a number of the toy makers, your choices in conventional flybar FP helis are the ESky HBFP, The Walkera UFlyS, the Falcon 40 (rebadged Walkera 4#) and the Multiplex Funcopter. There are significant disadvantages to all of these.

The Multiplex Funcopter is quite expensive. With everything you need to fly, it will cost you at least $500. It's also very large, so you will need LOTS of space. The other 3 are all Hiller head models that are quite difficult to fly and are quite dated. Depending on where you live, parts could be a huge issue. There is a significant aftermarket for the HBFP, but aftermarket costs are expensive. There's very limited upgrades available for the Walkera based models.

The only practical flybarless FP helis are the Walkera Super FP and the Blade MSRx. They are both micros that are quite durable. But, they are quite small for outdoors. Walkera makes 4 larger flybarless FP helis, all in the $200 or higher range and all have durability issues.

Any of those flybarless FP helis mentioned would be quite a learning experience from any 45 flybar heli. There isn't a real good heli that serves as a transition from this type of heli to conventional and flybarless models that are not stabilized at all. It's a market segment that has been largely ignored. IMO, the best thing you can buy to help you make this transition is a quad.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:58 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
The market emphasis is on flybarless helis and there isn't much incentive to produce larger FP helis, other than specialty models. Flybarless helis have a lot fewer moving parts and the difference between FP and CP models is basically one more servo and some electronic mixing. So, why bother with FP models? Other than the 45 flybar models being marketed by a number of the toy makers, your choices in conventional flybar FP helis are the ESky HBFP, The Walkera UFlyS, the Falcon 40 (rebadged Walkera 4#) and the Multiplex Funcopter. There are significant disadvantages to all of these.

The Multiplex Funcopter is quite expensive. With everything you need to fly, it will cost you at least $500. It's also very large, so you will need LOTS of space. The other 3 are all Hiller head models that are quite difficult to fly and are quite dated. Depending on where you live, parts could be a huge issue. There is a significant aftermarket for the HBFP, but aftermarket costs are expensive. There's very limited upgrades available for the Walkera based models.

The only practical flybarless FP helis are the Walkera Super FP and the Blade MSRx. They are both micros that are quite durable. But, they are quite small for outdoors. Walkera makes 4 larger flybarless FP helis, all in the $200 or higher range and all have durability issues.

Any of those flybarless FP helis mentioned would be quite a learning experience from any 45 flybar heli. There isn't a real good heli that serves as a transition from this type of heli to conventional and flybarless models that are not stabilized at all. It's a market segment that has been largely ignored. IMO, the best thing you can buy to help you make this transition is a quad.
I second that, but be warned, quads are just as addictive...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Thats true.
Therefore I found it easyer to simply exchange the stock servo pushrod ends with MSR-Ends (its a buy-and-mount replacement) to use MSR bones.
Only issues:
- I had to exchange the stock main blade balls with 2mm steel balls, it's similar done to the "pinhead-repair"
- recalculating the positions of every element on the main rotor shaft and fixing them in the right position due to lenght-differences in dog-bones lenght and swash-plate-geometry.

But worked out like a charm - I'm deep in love already with the new abilities of this - my wife calls it "living-room-terror". It has become a completely other heli by characteristics.

Thanks Mick!
I just like the feel of the 9116-TX and want to try it with the xiedas. indoor only ;-)

Horrible summer in Germany this year - too much rain, too cold, too windy.....

Mike
I acquired a second tx specifically for using with the 9958, so I can set it up and only use it with the 9958. But now I have a turnigy 9x, I'm trying to get used to it now. too much choice, like throttle curves, etc. it's just too confusing. I'll get use to it, mike, I just need time, like everything else.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:36 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Quote:
I second that, but be warned, quads are just as addictive...
That's the truth! I started with a nice easy MQx a few months ago, now on my 5th quad.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:40 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
I'm right behind you with 4 now, with 3 ladybirds and 1 V929...
Last edited by stormforce; Jul 17, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:02 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,413 Posts
Quote:
I'm right behind you with 4 now, with 3 ladybirds and 1 V929...
You need an MWC X250 to go with your Turnigy 9X. It has automatic leveling, altitude and heading hold. Plus, they just announced an upgraded board with GPS. The whole thing costs about $200. It's lots of fun to play with all the electronic goodies. Or, turn them off and let it rip. It really moves!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:37 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2011
1,246 Posts
Looks like a fun bird.

Did my first flips with the V929 today, so I'm totally hooked now.
Closed Thread