HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:52 AM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
Discussion
noob needs ap rig for dslr

Hi all,

As you can see I'm a noob and I need some help.
I'm a real estate photographer and I'm seeking a rc quad/hexa/octo or similar to shoot some exteriors. I've read a lot and learned a bit about this whole new world to me. But unfortunately I couldn't find anything that could meet my needs. I need something ready to fly or in a kit that I can set up.

I need something that would give me a stabilized flight and that could control my Nikon D300s with lens. It can't be corded, doesn't need to fly very high, 20meters is enough; it doesn't need many battery time, 5minutes is enough; 50meters range is enough. I do need however a system that allows me to control the camera. I need live view, aperture control, zoom control etc.

My budget is about 4.000. I want the simple and cheapest system there is.
Please help.
riskinhos is offline Find More Posts by riskinhos
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:58 AM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,587 Posts
Post up where you're at and maybe there's a local flyer that can meet you and show their rig so you can see what's involved.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
I checked the map. Couldn't find nothing. I'm from Portugal.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:57 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,203 Posts
Hi riskinhos, welcome to the forum

Please have a read of my post here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...57&postcount=3

Not wanting to be a killjoy, but if you are a 'noob', you can't just buy a platform, stick a camera on it and expect to be able to a) fly it, and b) take professional photographs with it without a great deal of practice.

What is your experience with flying model helicopters?

Cheers

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Oct 04, 2011, 01:43 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,924 Posts
If you are a complete `noob` to RC flying then there is a slight problem.

RC planes take time to learn to fly. The easiest and quickest way would be to get flight training at a local club.

RC planes are difficult to fly for someone just learning. Quads and model helicopters are many times harder to learn to fly. Before considering parting with any money find out just what is involved in learning to fly a model plane and the regulations that apply to model flying in your country.

I just read an article by a guy who decided to learn to fly a model helicopter. After the initial attempt he put his fixed wing aircraft away and concentrated on learning to fly the helicopter. It was 6 years before he got back to the fixed wing planes !

You may be a skilled RC flyer anyway - in which case none of the above matters.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
I'm skilled enough to learn. I've an heli that I use to fly often. But it's old and outdated and it doesn't meet my needs.
I don't want a fixed wing for obvious reasons.
I've time and money to spend. There are no local clubs for 800km.
In my country there's no regulations. Everyone is free to fly whatever want.

I really just need you to point me the cheapest dslr + lenses carrying capable quad/hexa/octocoper rtf kit or similar.

It's not like I'm going to the stratosphere... I just need to film a bit and take some shoots from the air while having a great control over the camera. nothing more.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:18 PM
Staying Frosty
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Feb 2008
2,958 Posts
Check out a "mast" I have a 15m setup with an askman pan/tilt that works great for 90% of the Realtor stuff we do as little as that actually is
Just needs a little muscle for those top sections if your on the small side
Hellsiege is offline Find More Posts by Hellsiege
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Construction Projects - Updated
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
36 Posts
thanks for the suggestion but I already have a mast. There are many places where I can't use it. I need something more versatile. Also I've just a remote trigger. I need more control.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:12 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riskinhos View Post
thanks for the suggestion but I already have a mast. There are many places where I can't use it. I need something more versatile. Also I've just a remote trigger. I need more control.
If you are actually getting paid by real estate agents, you're the first! ALL agents here are WAY too cheap to even consider $150 for an AP shoot. Maybe your area is different, but its impossible to sell AP to real estate agents here.

Do you REALLY have to lift that much camera? There are a few P&S cams out there that are light and cheap that could save you thousands in a crash....
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:27 PM
Design and fly
IL
Joined Dec 2008
240 Posts
Quote:
If you are actually getting paid by real estate agents, you're the first!
Been doing aerial work now for 10+ years for the NWS, TV stations and so on in the Tristate area but started out in Real-estate and loved it. I probably still do one ever week or two as bonus cash. Around here a typical shoot is $250.00 for half a dozen pics but most call because they want spherical's inside and out (which is even easier to shoot solo.) This is as fun as it gets.

For this we charge $750.00 and it takes about 30 minutes to shoot and then another 30 minutes to stitch.

Was shot with the Q-700Pro solo. (T2I/Sigma 10mm fisheye, stitched with PTGUI)

Log Cabin Inside

Log Cabin Outside Yeah I know the pic is dark. The owner wanted to be there to watch me shoot it. Really odd fellow but paid the same.

Started out by watching the paper and internet for houses that were marketed local then would go shoot them and contact the realtor showing them what they could be marketing with. This was 12 years ago which lead to breaking news then to the NWS and working with local law enforcement.

I can honestly say if you love R/C and photography this can be a dream job but only if you won't take no for and answer and never give up. One thing I have learned if you don't take no you have no idea what you will be doing tomorrow.

Best of luck in your venture.

John
skycam4 is online now Find More Posts by skycam4
Last edited by skycam4; Oct 04, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:07 PM
Studies the wind
United States, CA, Yountville
Joined Nov 2004
1,524 Posts
Offer the selling realtor do make the pictures for a percentage of the sale price payable at closing.
That will get you into a deal with a cheap realtor as it costs him nothing from his pocket. Bill
ghoti is offline Find More Posts by ghoti