HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:45 PM
United States, TX, Spring Branch
Joined Jul 2013
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
I too got tired of too much vang sheeting and the mainsheet snagging on the cabin top of 413, so I went with a post, like the IOM's and some other classes are using. It requires some reinforcement below deck and the addition of a support plate between the "bench tops", but it is low profile so as not to alter the look of the boat too much.

Because of the angles of the sheets below decks when I replaced the original bang-bang with a Robozone gearbox, I also needed to lower the exit point on the cabin door, relocating the fairlead and plugging the original hole with a bolt & rubber washer.

If you like the look of the cabin top, you have to be prepared to live with some issues that come with that design....like the mainsheet and they leak like a sieve, or do some modernization that affects the cosmetics.
I have S/B 554 and built it to plans. I did put soft foam weatherstrip around the combing on the deck. Then I drilled 1 small hole on each side of the cabin at the lower rear corner and used 2 brass threaded connectors soldered to each end of a piece of wire. It is just long enough that the threaded ends pass thru the coaming and the cabin , tighten with 2 small nuts and you will have an almost water proof cabin, rod can be left in place and when the nuts are off I place them in the cockpit , I normally have a folded paper towel in the blidge and have never had it totally soaked. Hope this help.
triker3 is online now Find More Posts by triker3
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2014, 05:10 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,100 Posts
I did put some soft foam "P" shaped seal around the rim of the opening and that stops the water from coming up under the cabin, over the lip on the opening and into the boat, but it still leaks at aft cabin wall because the cabin spreads out wider than the wall, leaving plenty of space for water to enter when the boat is heeled over. I may give your idea a try. It should pull in the cabin top and with a little foam tape there it should seal better.

Related to this, I spoke to Dan Robinson (sbyachts) about he and his dad's new mold for their cabin top. They have raised the lip of the deck opening all away around so it should be much more leak resistant, including where it meets the aft wall. That is the best way to eliminate the problem.

Thinking about it, there may be a way to retrofit a higher lip. I will give it some thought over the winter.
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher