Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined Jan 2007
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPilot View Post
Returning to CG for a sec ...

I've been fooling around with the CG on my Fun Cub and find, as have many others, that moving it a bit forward from the recommended 80mm works best for me.

When I set CG at 80mm the plane is too "floaty" and I have to work to keep it level, but by setting it right at the servo cable channel, about 10mm ahead of normal on my FC, it seems to handle much better in turns and most other maneuvers.

That's just my particular setup, but there it is FYI.
I find that the 65-70mm CG just fine
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:46 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Quote:

I've been fooling around with the CG on my Fun Cub and find, as have many others, that moving it a bit forward from the recommended 80mm works best for me.

I'm in agreement with this FunPilot.
My CofG is set at 73mm. More by default than design as this is where it came out after stuffing the lipo all the way to the back. The FC flew really nicely with this setup from the start so I've no desire to change it.

Steve
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:53 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Fun Cub additions.

I've made a couple of small additions to my FC. Wing struts to follow soon.

Pics from this morning.

Steve.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:03 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
I've made a couple of small additions to my FC. Wing struts to follow soon.

Pics from this morning.

Steve.
Looks great - nice and clean. I would recommend a cone prop adapter or a spinner to hide that bare nut on the front, though. Looking forward to seeing the photos when you get the struts on.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:26 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
510 Posts
Thanks Aus,

Yes, I have plans for the front end too.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:

When I set CG at 80mm the plane is too "floaty" and I have to work to keep it level, but by setting it right at the servo cable channel, about 10mm ahead of normal on my FC, it seems to handle much better in turns and most other maneuvers.

That's just my particular setup, but there it is FYI.
A good way to diagnose CG is research it. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages. When you read up a little you will be able to diagnose any fying issues related to CG. I remember a 707 overrunning the runway at MIA because a load of xmas trees shifted too far forward.

My vote is 70-75
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
On 3s it flies perfect. Once i get the CG set propperly ill be happ. When i bank i hate when the tale drags lower . It's technically 70oz of thrust which is unlimited vertical climb and yea, i tried it lol.
You Bet that tail hangs in turns. Start using the rudder when turning. Man, I fly mine with only throttle and rudder sometimes to give my right fingers a rest.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:27 PM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
607 Posts
Yea i do add rudder once in a while But when its nose heavy that problem goes away lol.
pokiou is online now Find More Posts by pokiou
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreel View Post
Hi everyone, got a question for the ones using floats...
I just read that the floats (multiplex) are intended for a weight around 1 KG. Now, no matter what I do but with battery installed (even just a 3S 2200 30C) mine weighs about 1255 grams?.... Got the NTM 910kv (117 grams engine) with 40A ESC so nothing big or heavy. Will it still float? Up to how heavy can it get? (I intend to use up to 3000 mah so total weight 1330grams) before those floats don't carry anymore? Experience please?
Thanks
My FunCub on floats with the NTM 910kv and 2650 battery weighs 1130 grams. Performance on floats is fantastic. As you can see in the photo, it sits high in the water so a little extra weight should not be a problem.
The landing gear is flimsy and I have to straighten it after a hard landing. I considered beefing it up but that would transfer more force to the fuselage. Also my landings are getting better.
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:05 AM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Thank you Ramblin,
great picture! I feel a whole lot more comfortable now. Funny though, the weight difference between our FC's. With a Turnigy 2650 20C mine would weigh about 1295 grams...while the only thing I added is the Turnigy light set (35 grams)....
I see you're still on a 2 blade prop? I think I'll use my 10x7x3 or 11x7x3 (wich I bought later anyaway since the 10x7x3 with the 2650 batt, only gave 274.2Wp with my amp meter). Also better clearance when ski's are mounted iso wheels or floats.
Another question if I may: do you also think that when changing back to wheels, the tail wheel doesn't fit too well?...I think it wiggles way too much. Do you have the same?
Thanks again
Boreel is offline Find More Posts by Boreel
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:23 AM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
There is only one problem with components from hobbyking.. you have to be willing to wait a long, long time for the stuff to get in your hands. I ordered a couple of orange six channel receivers a month ago, and haven't heard a word yet on when they if ever, will ship. I ordered a second funcub from Tower, a custom decal set from ModelMarkings.com in England, and six servos and a float set from headsuprc.com. Everything arrived in a few days, except th edecals from England, which took a whole week! Hobby king could take months.. ridiculous.
Just don't buy anything that is in backorder.

I've recieved like 20 orders this year from Hobbyking. Yes it takes some time (about 2 to 3 weeks to The Netherlands) but about everything is like half the price. I don't mind to wait a few weeks, when I need something fast I'm happy to pay a higher price.

Again, don't place a order with any items that are in backorder. Just put them on your wishlist on the website and recieve an email when it's back in stock. Then place a order if you wish
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,775 Posts
I'm using a Hobbypartz Rocket 2820-990 motor that was recommended a year ago here. I'm very happy with it. A friend is building a new FunCub and wants to use the same motor I have. I can't find it listed anymore.
There is a 3020-990 listed.
I don't fully understand the stator length rating and what the 2820 or 3020 means.
I could use some help understanding these values and also a Hobbypartz motor with a 5mm shaft that I can recommend to my friend.
HobbyPartz is close and has given me good service so I'd like to stay with them.
Thank you
showmaster is offline Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:03 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Any Black Friday deals?

Any one know of a good FC Deal this weekend?
Crashed mine.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
Does anyone make an alternative decal set for the Fun Cub?
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2003
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Does anyone make an alternative decal set for the Fun Cub?
All I know of are these: http://www.modelmarkings.com/index.p...liplex-fun-cub

I think I'll do a simple paint scheme. I really like stevespana's scheme a few posts back.
RGose is offline Find More Posts by RGose