Feb 04, 2012, 08:55 AM
I actually bought the airframe only (in both cases). I'm kinda new to this but everything you read suggests that where manufacturers try saving money is in the electronics.

I use HK electronics (always used the cheapie orange coloured servos, never a problem yet). I did buy a Dynam Hawksky and a great plane, but 2 x servos went very quickly.
I see the grey one now. That's just got to be the Dynam one alright. Any review of that one is always good. The first review there says that it's the Dynam model.

If you're just starting off, that would be a good one as there will be no fiddling of parts and CG problems etc. A far as I know, EPO is much superior that EPS which is what the 1380mm Cat and CL415 are made from.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2012, 06:25 AM
I need a bigger shed..
I have bought the Dynam Catalina from hobbyking, looks so nice, can't wait to get it! Thanks for your help Luke2000
Feb 05, 2012, 06:35 AM
You're welcome sammyc.

If I was in Australia, I'd be getting one too.

Every review says it's great, and such a nice sized model. Let us know how it works out.

Luke
Feb 05, 2012, 07:01 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000
You're welcome sammyc.

If I was in Australia, I'd be getting one too.

Every review says it's great, and such a nice sized model. Let us know how it works out.

Luke
It's on nitroplanes and www.pw-rc.com also. If it wasn't in the HK aus warehouse I would have bought from pw-rc.
Feb 05, 2012, 10:38 AM
Ah

Nice but the 78$ shipping plus customs here is a no no.

Might check the UK though, they're pretty good.
Feb 06, 2012, 01:08 AM
could someone tell me the chord of the wing, the span and chord of the tailplane. and the typical ready to fly weight with a 2200 3s lipo for this model?

thanks
David
Feb 06, 2012, 06:17 AM
If you tell me how to go about finding the chords, I'll let you know

Luke
Feb 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000
If you tell me how to go about finding the chords, I'll let you know

Luke
Luke "chord" is width from leading edge to trailing edge

thanks

David
Feb 06, 2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by how much
Luke "chord" is width from leading edge to trailing edge

thanks

David
OK David,

The main wing chord is 213mm (8 and 3/8 inches). That's measured across the flat of the undercambered wing, if you know what I mean.
The wing length is 1330mm (52 and 3/8 inches)excluding the turned up winglets.
(Where the wing sits on the fuse, the forward width measurement is 122mm and 90mm at the rear)

The rear chord is 166mm (6 and 17/32 inches)
The distance from the front of the rear "wing" to the elevator hinge point is 90mm (3 17/32 inches).

I won't measure the weight as I've added so much stuff (not just the ater scoop system but all the repair glue). I think that I did weigh it and posted it somewhere here. I'll have a look back.

You seem to know a bit about this so I have a question. I have a HK blue J3 cub that flies pretty fast and I need to slow it down. If I add EPO foam all round the main wings, which will follow thw airfoil shape but thicken the whole wing, do you know if that will cause it to fly more slowly?

Let me know if there's anything else.

Luke
Feb 06, 2012, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by kensp
My CL-415 weighed 38.5 oz ready to fly complete with a Zippy 1600 mAH 3 cell 20 C battery pack.

Ken
Oh dear,

47.5 oz without battery. I think it's been eating all the pies! Time for a diet

Luke

There ya go David.

Kensp weighed his at 38.5 oz with a 1600mah 3S.
Feb 06, 2012, 03:12 PM
Luke

many thanks for the information.. i was just wondering how far off scale the model was... at 1330mm span the scale chord should be around 175mm. so at 215mm they have added a lot of extra wing area.

i am staggered at the weight though.. as i have just drawn one up at the same scale to build from depron.. and i reckon it will come in ready to fly at around 24 ounces.

which brings me to your cub that flies too fast.. its not just a matter of changing the wing section its also the wing-loading that effects the way it flies. "how many ounces per square foot" in simple terms the lighter the model the better!

adding anything to an already heavy model doesnt help

thanks

David
Feb 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Well that explains how it flies so well. This can really slow down to just above a walking pace. Makes for nice water landings....until someone can make scale water

Love to see the plans you're using/making. I'm just finishing a 133%Polaris at the moment. Bought grey 6mm depron from the UK but finding it very hard to colour the edges of it. Gonna try shrink film and see how that goes.

Luke
Feb 07, 2012, 10:54 AM
I can't fly
A new Chinese company “Beili Model” is marketing some interesting electric waterplanes, including a Canadair (1190mm WS) and a Catalina (1300 WS).

They come with fiberglass fuselages and wood build up wings.

http://beilimodel.cn/category/electric-9812-1c03/1

Available in HK ?????
Available in US ?????
Feb 07, 2012, 12:58 PM
I can't understand these sellers.

Why no prices or delivery details. I've tried some of these before and it's such a long drawn out process to get a price and then a delivery price. Still, that Cat looks nice
Feb 07, 2012, 01:01 PM
I just sent an email to them and it comes up as a 404, not found. Ya'd have to wonder

Quick Reply