HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:30 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,202 Posts
well it happens, glad you caught it now before anything bad happened good eye!
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:17 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
looking over the plane this evening I just noticed I'm missing 3 of the nuts that go on the bolts of the carbon bracing between the top wing and fuse, I can't believe I missed these in my 1st inspection, maybe they came off in flight today. anyways everything still is tight, but does anyone know the size of those nuts
Inverted, I believe these are metric 2.5mm nuts. My calipers read the nuts are 5mm wide hex, and the screw itself is ~2.3mm.
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:12 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,292 Posts
thanks
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:35 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,452 Posts
Apply loctite to every single metal to metal screw on the airplane, and you will never have to worry about it again!
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,186 Posts
^ +1
I found some of mine loose so I with all of them wilt some blue loctite since its not like I need to take it apart anytime soon.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,452 Posts
plus the good thing with blue loctite, is that you can always take it apart easily! just make sure to not apply too much as that can you get in trouble lol. Just apply a small drop of loctite and i can guarantee you that you will never have a problem!
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:38 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,776 Posts
I just wanted to chime in here on the loctite discussion. When I bent my shaft recently I took the motor out to remove it. To my horror two of the four screws holding the motor in place had come loose.

I had applied removable loctite to all screws before screwing in. My suspicion is that the heat of the motor gradually degraded the loctite... but that would mean that the motor had been getting REALLY hot, which I don't think it was (using the highly scientific finger-on-can test).

I have the high temp loctite but it's for shafts and not screws, and plus it's not the removable kind, so I am hesitant to apply it. I put the slightly stronger removable loctite that I have on, and the whole thing is secured again, but just for safety's sake I will be inspecting the motor mount every month or so.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,620 Posts
I had a motor just recently come off due to all 4 screws coming lose in spite of the lock tite.
I now realize it must have been the heat. I recently changed props and must have been overloading the motor
Goo news is that the shaft collar kept the motor from flying away and I was able to make a pass around and land safely
YellowJacketsRC is online now Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,452 Posts
On the high temp stuff i think blue loctite may not work as well..... on that one i really can't make any recommendations as i have no experience with that, but for normal airplane stuff blue loctite works wonderful
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
I had a motor just recently come off due to all 4 screws coming lose in spite of the lock tite.
I now realize it must have been the heat. I recently changed props and must have been overloading the motor
Goo news is that the shaft collar kept the motor from flying away and I was able to make a pass around and land safely

Not the AMR I hope! Good thing it landed safely
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:54 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,776 Posts
I've hit 20h of tx time on my AMR. Including downtime and such that's probably about 100 flights. It's now far and away the most flown plane in my fleet and the most flown plane I've ever owned (I haven't been flying very long LOL). It goes out every weekend and gets 16-20 exciting packs put through it.

I've almost gotten all the mixes and trims sorted out but I'm having too much of a blast to sit down and actually SORT IT OUT . It's some kind of crazy tumbling and snapping machine that still feels super floaty. It's still a tad beyond my flying skills to even fly smoothly but boy oh boy does it dance in the sky. Maybe some nose weight will help tame it down but I kind of like how ridiculous it is.

For the record, in terms of hours flown, #2 is a 3DHS 47" SHP (which flies in between the PA's motor cooling down), and #3 is my beloved Polaris depron scratchbuild (second incarnation, which flies when the field is more a swamp than field).
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:16 AM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,452 Posts
Awesome!!!, mine got close to 800 - 1000 flights!!! its really an awesome plane that will last for many years if you take care of it!!
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,254 Posts
That's awsome Rayonair.So when do we get to see some new vid
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,186 Posts
Finally got my blue covering to cover up the spot where I had to use black until the blue came. Now she's looking normal again.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
I'm torquing to you!
Wattle Grove NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2006
7,345 Posts
20 hours! You've only had it a few weeks haven't you?

AMR + Charged batteries = Big smiles
Mr Kamikaze is offline Find More Posts by Mr Kamikaze
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hucking my Katana MX