Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 07, 2014, 06:26 PM
United States, PA, Trevorton
Joined Apr 2014
42 Posts
Discussion
130X for a total first timer....... no problem!

After hearing all the "Noobs cant fly a 130x", "Start out with Co-Axle", "You need HOURS on a simulator", "Don't even try it", "It will be too difficult to control", I ignored that and bought one anyway. Ive only been flying it for 2 days so-far. Its had a total of 6 "flights"(I only have one battery) and the hardest part, more like the scariest part was getting it off the ground and the fear of what MIGHT happen once it was in the air, lol. Now, Ive had it hovering so far and a little bit of slow "tail in" flight, forward and back, side to side, no further than 25ft away and about 10ft off the ground here and there, but mainly 3-4ft in the air and I gotta tell you, its not hard to do. To all the first timers out there...... don't believe the nay-sayers. Its not as difficult as some may lead you to believe and its a whole lot of fun too. let me tell you how a "noob", whos never flown a rc heli before did it. First I wanna let you know that I have no interest in 3D flying. Of course I would like to do some sweet ass loops, rolls and stall turns, but, I can wait till later on when my skills improve and I can adjust the pitch curve a little more . I just wanna be able to fly that sucker around at top speed. That's what I think is fun. OK, this is how im able to it. I found a post/thread in the forum called "3D is not for everyone", and let me tell you, it made all the difference. it explains that you only have to use a little bit of positive pitch (at full high stick)and barely any negative pitch(at full low stick) in order to fly a heli. They said it is how you would set up your radio for "scale" flying. This way allows you to hover and gain elevation without sending your $250 heli shooting up into the air 30ft and slamming it down into the ground at light speed and smashing it. I still use D/R and Expo, I am still a first time flyer. The thread tells you how to set your pitch up in "degrees", if your new to this like me, then you probably only have a DX6i and that doesn't tell you your pitch setting in degrees, it has 0%(low stick) to 50%(mid stick) to 100%(high stick). I don't own a pitch gauge either. After playing around a little, I use this setting. My pitch curve(on DX6i) on NORM/STUNT/HOLD is the same and is L(low stick)=47%, 2=50%, 3(mid stick)=53%, 4=57%, H(high stick)=59%. My throttle curve on NORM is L=0%, 2=35%, 3=80%, 4=80%, H=80%. STUNT is L=30%, 2=60%, 3=95%, 4=95%, H=95%. HOLD=0.0%. This is what works for me and is how Im able to control my 130X fairly easy while Im learning. With these settings you'll notice your heli starting to hover at mid stick and you can get you heli in the air quickly without shooting off into outerspace. Even being very new to this I was able to control my 130X out in a football field on a breezy day without any problems. I really hope this helps out some people who are having jitters with starting out in the hobby. And, don't be afraid to start out with a 130x. I will tell you though, get training gear(normally $20, i made mine from a $0.37 wooden dowel rod and $2 for 6 ping pong balls from walmart. they work great) and buy extra tail gears. The plastic "A" gear rides on a metal "B" gear and the "A" gear strips very easy and the tail rotor box "C" and "D" (the smaller of the 2) also strips very easy. So, Good Luck and don't be afraid to fly!!
greenstx is offline Find More Posts by greenstx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2014, 06:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,025 Posts
Well done mate ,you can set pitch by looking it up on google, find the pitch you need in image mode and then trace it on to paper , then use this as a guide to line up on blades .
set up the idle up and hold pitch on the dx6i to match the normal pitch so once you take off go into idle up use about 85% throttle and then fly on just the pitch , not the throttle pitch mix
Just remember to use throttle hold if your going to crash so the motor is cut , your still have control as the hold pitch you made to match the normal curve your fly on
when i checked mine one day the hold pitch was -15 degs this is why you need to match pitch curves
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Jun 07, 2014, 07:03 PM
Joined Apr 2014
42 Posts
thanks holtneil, this setup made flying so much more easier because it is a nice mellow flight for me. It takes a lot of worry out of it and allows me to enjoy it. also makes learning to fly fun
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:26 PM
Dave
The Netherlands, NB, Breda
Joined Aug 2013
113 Posts
@greenstx remember everybody has a different learning curve. Nobody is the same.

Only one thing is important do it safe and have fun. As long if you are having fun and do it safe you are doing well :-)

People advise from their own perspective and experience that is what a forum is for. It is not a written law what you should do.

Just have fun

ps. try to use the return key a little more often
dcb103 is offline Find More Posts by dcb103
Old Jun 14, 2014, 10:15 AM
Where's the swimming pool
Joined Jul 2011
932 Posts
The reason the 130x is not normally recommended for newbies is because of the gear stripping you mention. It can be temperamental. Probably the most demanding heli I've ever had. All that sort of finicky stuff could frustrate a first timer enough into quitting.

Something like a nano is tougher. I grant it's probably a little harder to fly, but tamed down with little wind, it'd be my first recommendation for a cp currently.

Caveat emptor.

But horses for courses, glad you're enjoying it.
spykez is online now Find More Posts by spykez
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:21 PM
Joined Apr 2014
42 Posts
Just to let you guys know why I chose the 130x, I watched TONS of YouTube videos on ALL the micros and minis before I bought it. I was gonna go with the Nano or the Mcpx first. I didn't get the Nano because of the life span of the motor. I thought that paying $100+ for a heli that might only give me 10 flights and then have to buy a new motor(and might only get another 10 from) sucks.

I didn't go with the Mcpx because I figured for a few bucks more I could just get the 130x and not be bothered with having a tail motor heli. The only complaints I really heard about with the 130x was the tail vibes, and from what Ive seen, it was a simple fix. I have never had that problem with mine. I bought a MicroHeli Pro tail with it and installed it right away. So, with the new tail and quick spool up, tail vibe was never noticed.

I don't remember seeing anyone complaining about the "A" gear. I did buy a set of metal "C" and "D" gears, I just haven't installed them yet. If I knew how fast/easy that "A" gear would strip, I would've bought one of them too.

Blade is known for manufacturing those sh!tty brushed motors and that's the biggest reasons I didn't go with the Nano. I would still like to get that or the Mcpx BL, but the Nano I will buy used, only if it has a double BL conversion on it
Old Jun 14, 2014, 01:35 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Feb 2014
52 Posts
I also just started flying helicopters and I also decided to bypass coaxial and fixed pitch and go directly to collective pitch. I purchased a Nano CPX and went at it. The first few days were frustrating, but after about a week, I was hovering reasonably well. Now after two weeks, I am hovering and moving around in idle up mode.

The Nano does have a delicate motor though. The motor slowed down after about 40 or so batteries. Since that happened only a week and a half after purchase, I called Horizon Hobby and they are sending me a new motor. After that one goes, I'm going to upgrade to brushless.
Ben M is offline Find More Posts by Ben M
Old Jun 14, 2014, 06:24 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,716 Posts
That's weird.

The brushed motor in our mCPX lasted well over 100 flights.

It got changed because we thought it was wearing out, but it
turned out that the main motor outlasted the batteries.

Even the brushed motors in my cheap toy fixed pitch helicopters
(MJX F-45 and DH9116's) last at least 30 flights, and sometimes over 50
with cooling mods.

10 flights out a motor is not typical.

Blade makes good stuff. I can't imagine them selling a bird with motors
that last under 20 flights.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Jun 14, 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 06:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
932 Posts
The average life span on my nano brushed motors has been about 80-100 flights. Wide reported spread, some guys say theirs have died after 20. I'd believe them.

Yep, that's the Achilles heel. But changing it out is less troublesome I think than getting a 130X tail right.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:47 PM
Joined Apr 2014
42 Posts
I know there are plenty of Nanos out there that have plenty of flights on the first motor. Ive just seen too many videos and read too many complaints about it that I didnt wanna be the guy that bought the one that was a 10 flight junker. Even if the motor lasted 80-100 flights , you gotta think, a new guy thats just learnin is have that many in about 1-2 weeks. Youd still be in the learnin/hoverin phase and have to replace the motor. That sucks in my book.

If I had more than 1 battery and it didnt take an hour to charge every time, I wouldve put that many flights on my heli easy. Im not talkin about the gear issue. im just sayin that without any incidents the best average life of the Nano motor is 2-3 weeks? I know its fairly easy to replace the motor, but, you shouldnt have to. Then what happens when your next motor is the "10 flight motor". Im willing to bet that people would pay an extra 20-30 bucks for one that came stock BL. If they did then Id be sitting here with a Nano.

I like the Nano and the Mcpx . I think the are pretty cool helis and I would still like to buy them, but for the issues I mentioned above, i went with the 130x. I think that blade will always have QC issues. I dont think its right for them to keep putting out products that are below par. Be honest, can you tell me that if their Spektrum radios had all the QC problems that their helis have, people would trust them to fly a $600-1000 aircraft. I say , hell no.

Im not bashin Spektrum now. I think they have really nice stuff. I dont remember ever hearin any QC complaints about them. I use a DX6i now and i look forward to one day ownin a DX8 or hopefully a DX9.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:24 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,582 Posts
I have several MCp-x's and couple Nano CP-X's. None had motor failure with 100 flights, some still ran after 150+ lights. Tired yes but still flew heli. My Two nanos had over 100 flights each before change to bl upgrade. My MSR-x was over 140 flights before I changed it. So sheer bunk to 10 flights on Nano cp--x report. Total bull twinkies from someone who doesn't even own one.
Most of guys who smoke motors are noobies who fly back to back flights. Run batteries to LVC and most likely crash snot out of their heli.
130 X is not a new c/p heli flyers machine. Possible with right programing and some Rc back round. Some may find the grove easy than others. Crash a 130 X hard its going to cost as more complex heli. 130 X with upgrades is a fine heli. some even pretty much stock fly very well. Nano CP-X with bl upgrade has no equal available from local hobby shop. Even bone stock with 45 c e-flite batteries makes for a fine flying little c/p heli.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:01 AM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
500 Posts
I can swap out the brushed motor in my stock nanoCPx WAY EASIER and quicker than replacing the tail gears in my 130x. I have the microheli tail on my 130x with the Lynx 150 TBS and it flies superbly when perfectly set up. I have more issues with blades upsetting the heli than the stock tail did to be honest. I also have mCPx BL and love it. 130x is easiest to fly, mCPx BL 2nd and nano CPx 3rd. BUT if I wanted to try something new I try it on nano first (cheapest to repair, easiest to set up) then mCPx BL, then finally on my 130x and my 450.
So what I fly the most is my nano CPx. I have a stock nano and a BL nano and I'm building two more. If I was only allowed ONE heli I would pick the nano CPx. Don't get me wrong I utterly love my 130x and my mCPx BL but to get them to the condition mine are costs significantly more than the original price. The aftermarket parts that work, parts that don't work and consumables and spares. But now they all fly incredibly precisely and/or insanely.

It's all good fun. If I begrudged spending money and time on my helis I wouldn't do it.
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:15 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,136 Posts
The 130X is definitely easier to fly than the mCPX, mCPX BL and nano CPX. But the reason why it is not recommended for beginners is because it can become a maintenance nightmare as spkkez said. There are many problems that can arise randomly within the first 100 flights. Many of which are crash related. That is why 3d fliers may have a tougher time than sports fliers. If you are beginner, you may have problems in debugging and fixing them. It is not unusual to spend well over $100 in upgrade parts for the tail. Even then, these upgrade parts can still break in a hard crash.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:41 AM
Joined Apr 2014
42 Posts
dankar04, your right I dont have one ,but I didnt make this stuff up, I heard it from others that own them(youtube,forums). And... trust me guys, I already know about them being a cash pit. Just that MH Pro tail sells for $70. Between that and the swash, thats about $100 right there. I got a really good deal though.

You were sayin that "noobs" burn out the motor by runnin batteries back to back? How else are we gonna learn? Every time I see a heli for sale on here, they are being sold with 5,6,7 batteries. Are you tryin to tell me that with that many batteries they're not being flown back to back. The stock brushed motors ARE JUNK, I dont care what excuses you come up with, they're JUNK !
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
932 Posts
In comparison to mCP X (brushed motors) I cannot but agree ; )

I still love the nano, the motor can be replaced with a BL upgrade.