HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2014, 03:20 PM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,796 Posts
Careful!
Crash investigation! (Naza v2 flyaway)

well! I didnt think it could happen to me. Ive been flying around with my 550 sized naza v2 machine for a while. Today it went crazy. I was filming at a golf course (after it had closed) and done a nice film of one fairway.

I landed and accidentally knocked the GPS puck off when picking it up, No problem though as I zip tied it back down, very securly pointing the right way (slightly off centre to get the zip ties secure.

Took off in GPS and you can see what happened next. It flew forward, Full back stick worked very slightly so it was a fight to get it back. It wouldnt stay level and felt like trying to balance a football on a tower of jelly, even when putting into attitude mode.

eventually I got it over high grass and bought it back down.

I should have left it there (this bit is not on film), but I tried again in manual and it was fine. Flipped it into GPS and it just flew into the ground, didnt have time to flick it back to manual.

Machine is a write off. I could rebuild it, but Ill never trust this machine again.

Latest Firmware, recalibrated GPS after accident caught on film, Full GPS lock. On a golf course away from any power lines.
NAZA V2 flyaway and crash (0 min 28 sec)

Took
ecks is online now Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ecks; May 03, 2014 at 12:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2014, 04:11 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2013
335 Posts
You recalibrated the compass after you broke it off (before the accident) I assume?

I'm pretty hesitant to call any problems that occur after damage to any sensing hardware a "fly away". All you've really learned I think is that you non-trivially damaged the GPS / compass puck beyond just misaligning it (when you broke it off by accident).

As you say, it flew fine in manual mode (which bypasses the GPS / compass).
simplepanda is offline Find More Posts by simplepanda
Old Apr 27, 2014, 04:25 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,796 Posts
The GPS rod holder was stuck to the top plate with hot glue. I knocked the rod and the rod came loose from the hot glue. No breakages. I then secured the GPS rod holder with 2 zip ties extremely tightly, pointing in the right position.

After the first flyaway (on the video) I checked the antennae and it was still rock solid. It was then that i did the calibration dance, and waited for full lock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2014, 04:53 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,557 Posts
problems:
gps puck knocked off any controller with built in barometer

recalibrate IMU and check on laptop would be my first thing if I noticed it wasnt flying right. I always bring my laptop with me for stuff like this.

I'm guilty of downing a hexa on a golf course over easter due to having dji intelligent orientation control on a switch and I hit it on accident. Lost orientation. First time flying my taranis. My own fault.

Sorry to say, as I respect your work, but in this case, you could have prevented this once you noticed it was flying incorrectly, just like myself. What I dont understand is, why people are so often flying in GPS mode. Thats a hold mode in my opinion, use atti when flying.

bottom line is, we both could have prevented this by being more diligent. Smallest things in this hobby will bring down a craft..
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:31 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,796 Posts
I agree I should have stopped after the first problem, however I thought the GPS dance might solve the problem.

I also agree about flying in GPS mode. The problem is, I know first hand the amount of people buying AP machines (including large ones) with absolutely no RC experience is in the crazy high numbers. These people will only be flying in GPS mode.

My favorite side of multirotors is acrobatics, I fly manual. But this machine was so incontrollable I had to ditch it. Full stick bought it slowly back to centre and then overshoot even with opposite full stick.

Non RC'ers, should not have access to these 99% working GPS machines.

Here is a photo, props are still attached with no slipping. The first picture of the machine has the GPS puck on backwards, this was corrected before the first ever flight.

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2014, 02:40 AM
Joined Sep 2013
3,216 Posts
Naza V2 Flyaway caught on camera

Sorry to hear about the episode, glad you were able to get it down without too much trouble! It sounds like you may have put the gps puck on backwards when you ziptied it back?

TBE caused by compass misalignment behaves very much as you describe here (out of control in one direction, then suddenly a different direction, hands need to be constantly on sticks to correct).
ElGuano is offline Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ElGuano; Apr 28, 2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 03:44 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,796 Posts
I'm next to positive that I put the GPS puck on the right way when I zip tied it. However the best thing to do is try again, before I start moaning about DJI, s product.

I shall rebuild and try again, maybe with a couple of screws instead of hot glue ;D
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:04 AM
Joined Dec 2013
322 Posts
Curious: Did you re-cycle power after initial accident and then calibrate or did you simply re-mount GPS puck, then calibrate?
foobarbazqux is offline Find More Posts by foobarbazqux
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:15 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,516 Posts
On the photo you posted in the F450/550 thread the GPS was definately reversed 180

I had the GPS pole unscrewed on my 450, it turned 90 and it behaved exactly like yours, massively drifting sideway.
I brought it back with sticks almost at 100%, landed, checked "everything", but did not noticed it was angled wrong, took off and wondered several more minutes why this damn stupid thing would not fly straight. It's only after a 2nd check I saw it
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:35 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2013
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
On the photo you posted in the F450/550 thread the GPS was definately reversed 180

I had the GPS pole unscrewed on my 450, it turned 90 and it behaved exactly like yours, massively drifting sideway.
I brought it back with sticks almost at 100%, landed, checked "everything", but did not noticed it was angled wrong, took off and wondered several more minutes why this damn stupid thing would not fly straight. It's only after a 2nd check I saw it
simplepanda is offline Find More Posts by simplepanda
Old Apr 28, 2014, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks View Post
I'm next to positive that I put the GPS puck on the right way when I zip tied it. However the best thing to do is try again, before I start moaning about DJI, s product.

I shall rebuild and try again, maybe with a couple of screws instead of hot glue ;D

Yep, I would definitely suggest setting it up again, make sure the gps puck is pointed forward, and see if you get the same results (make sure you have clear space and stay alert at the sticks in case it does go crazy!). If that works and you are brave (foolhardy), you can try mounting the gps puck 180 degrees facing backwards and seeing if a confirmed TBE is what you experienced. It takes time for a TBE to wind up and get really squirrelly.

I think I may be close to the world record in flight time spent intentionally inducing the worst TBE possible just to test the behavior at limits, and what you describe (and being able to fight it with full stick control) sounds a lot more like TBE than any kind of FC failure.

This is one of those cases where I truly think the post title may have jumped the gun and made an unwarranted leap to immediately blaming the Naza. Maybe it's the FC, maybe it's the compass placement, maybe it's one of dozens of other comments also on or off the quad that can fail, but we gotta go to accident analysis to know for sure.
ElGuano is offline Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:20 PM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
2,796 Posts
Your right, I will change the title immediatly. The gps puck on the photo was just after I finished building a couple of months ago. It had been replaced the right way. As I say, I am pretty sure I zip tied it on right. But im not 100 percent certain.

Ive just cut myself a big (10 inch prop) ecks frame, and am halfway through rebuilding. Ill definatly test the backwards puck and see if it feels the same as it did.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:38 PM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Apr 2014
249 Posts
Quote:

I also agree about flying in GPS mode. The problem is, I know first hand the amount of people buying AP machines (including large ones) with absolutely no RC experience is in the crazy high numbers. These people will only be flying in GPS mode.
interesting thread, I will be following in the background.

and I understand your comment and believe you to be correct.

I bought an apm board but promised myself I will not be gps mode until I get real good and truly have the need for it...

why folks would want that just to fly around in a park, I dont understand... but for high altitude and or long distance, and true fpv then yea...

anyways, thanks..
bergovoy is offline Find More Posts by bergovoy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:50 PM
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecks View Post

Sorry to hear about your crash.

Something I noticed about your build. The landing gear....I don't like the way it's mounted. Don't get me wrong, it seems like it should be that way, but in my opinion this is a big problem while crashing.

In a crash you've got a high propability of hitting the landing gear. Also using such long tubes for it will make them a lever which can easily break your frame....like seen in your pictures.

I would go for a standard landing gear and don't use this one any more.
CyberCrash is offline Find More Posts by CyberCrash
Old Apr 29, 2014, 09:46 AM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Dec 2011
373 Posts
looks like you might have mounted the compass slightly off the forward direction, maybe a degree or two.

adding to the irony you might have tried to correct it which must have resulted in you losing orientation.

just to be clear you are flying hobby grade components, so these things are bound to happen. if you were trying to do professional filming you should take a class and fly advanced autopilot controllers like the high end DJI stuff
CoolD is online now Find More Posts by CoolD