United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wings View Post
Hi,
it looks very interesting.

Somebody tried it?
Yes, me! I thought I'd try 3D because the clog-dancers (footballers!) have churned up my favourite flying field until the cricket season comes around again, so no good for normal flying!

Anyway, I built it a few days ago, and test-flown it three times so far. Two things needed sorting straight away - first was to reduce the amount of up-front lead weight. The stated CG is seems to be too far back really. Don't know why they didn't make the nose a bit longer and let the motor do the balancing? Anyway, it's now climbing OK, but I find the prop's torque effect is very strong. It keeps wanting to roll left, so next time I'll see if positioning the battery lop-sided does the trick. If it doesn't I'll try setting the aelerons off-set, as it seems to be beyond normal trimming..?

Obviously haven't tried any real 3D tricks yet, still sorting out the model - but it hovers well anyway. For now I'm using an 800mAh with the TGY D2822/17 1100Kv giving about 100W. Prop is SF 9x4.7. It weighs in at 412g, complete with U/C. Servos are TGY9e's which fit perfectly. Later I might try the D2830 motor and 1300mAh lipo.

Verdict on build and quality: A good rigid and tough model, quite simple to build - except for the U/C, which was bit of a criss-cross joke. One strut came off first time out, but loads of 5-min epoxy soon fixed that! Only need it for landing anyway, as the let-it-go vertical launch is easy enough.

Has the makings of a real fun and cheap model. The weather is set fair for tomorrow so hopefully I'll have sorted it out properly and be able to practise some fun tricks...
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
Last edited by FlyBoy20; Nov 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added comment
Old Nov 29, 2013, 03:29 PM
Joined Jul 2010
351 Posts
I have this set:

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2826-1130kv
ESC Turnigy Plush 25
9 grams htx servo x4
Zippy 1000 mA 3S

This BL motor weights 44 grams and I thought it could balance the model correctlely but I'm in doubt..
hot wings is offline Find More Posts by hot wings
Old Nov 30, 2013, 06:12 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wings View Post
I have this set:

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2826-1130kv
ESC Turnigy Plush 25
9 grams htx servo x4
Zippy 1000 mA 3S

This BL motor weights 44 grams and I thought it could balance the model correctlely but I'm in doubt..
Well, your motor is 6g heavier than mine, but I think you'll still need some lead. I had to add 43g around the motor mount (solder wire stuck with white-tack). I reckon you'll need about 30-35g.

BTW I countered the torque effect by adding a wing tip weight - a blob of white-tack taped in place.
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20