HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:19 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
Discussion
Spartan Vortex VX1n Flybarless 3-Axis Gyro (single box)

This one should make some of the top end FBL controller companies take notice. Current retail is USD$174.99. That's way cheaper than the cheapest MSH, BeastX, Mikako and Skookum gyros.

http://www.spartan-rc.com/products/vx1n/vx1n.php

Not only is the price competitive but the VX1n uses PinPoint sensors, which are said to be one of the best.

It can only be programmed with a data pod. The data pod can be purchased for USD$64.95 on it's own, or for USD$214.99 with the VX1n.

This is however an introductory price, but I'm sure discounts will be available if it goes up to the normal price of USD$224.99.

I'd certainly like to try one of these one day. I wonder if it can be side mounted...
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 03, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:39 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
...I wonder if it can be side mounted...
Found the answer to my question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
I am updating the manual at the moment and should be online in a few days with extra illustrations for the VX1n.

The VX1n can not be mounted with the cables existing towards the left or right of the heli like the VX1. The cables must always exit towards the front (Fr) or the back (Bk).

However it can be mounted upright (Up), inverted (In), sideways with the label facing left (Lt) or sideways with the label facing right (Rt).

Combining the text in brackets above will give you the name of the orientation shown in the menu.

Cheers,
Angelos
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:50 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
Corrected the first post to state that it can only be programmed with their Data Pod.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,814 Posts
So basically same total price as competition...meh...I'll stick with Robird...
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Aug 2011
318 Posts
Looks very interesting, I'm also considering this up market FBL gyro either Skookum or Spartan.
Seems like Spartan is slightly cheaper over Skookum.
I will get the Spartan for sure, question is how does it compare with VX1.
VX1 is more expensive then VX1n.
Tovin is offline Find More Posts by Tovin
Old Oct 03, 2013, 10:13 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,933 Posts
I am liking the price of this an bonus I don't need to bring the computer to the field . The best part it's a spartan , you know it's going to be good. .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
I don't need to bring the computer to the field ..
Once you're past the tuning stage why would you even need to touch it? Do people actually tinker with their gyro settings EVERY time they go out to the field even when it's already dialed in and flying perfect?

Sounds like a false economy/convenience that cost an extra $60...
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:50 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPhisher View Post
Once you're past the tuning stage why would you even need to touch it? Do people actually tinker with their gyro settings EVERY time they go out to the field even when it's already dialed in and flying perfect?
Thats the point, one less thing to bring to the field .I would rather bring a cell phone size unit that fits in your pocket, than a computer that i would need to leave on the bench and could get stolen .
Besides , you only need one unit to program them all
Old Oct 03, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
Besides , you only need one unit to program them all
That's only beneficial if:

1. The pricing wasn't introductory
2. All of your helis run the same controller

I actually run 5 different FBL controllers in my fleet...soon to be 6.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:01 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
3,676 Posts
My mini laptop only cost $300 and is very portable( cheaper than many phones) and runs 8hrs on a battery.Wish they all used computers to program.
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Oct 03, 2013, 01:05 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
4,933 Posts
My aspire netbook is 260.00 , but not as portable as my cell phone .
My flybar helis need only my futaba 8fg for programming , and i always have that with the heli .
Old Oct 03, 2013, 05:18 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,798 Posts
I have to agree that it is a pity this gyro does not have a PC app. I think Spartan is still playing catchup in the FBL gyro business. This gyro is probably their best hope of actually winning back their reputation they had for their tail only gyro, as I personally feel the VX1 is just too expensive. I don't think they thought that FBL would take on as quickly as it did, and got caught napping.

I don't think the PC app would actually be that big an exercise for them to do, or for anyone else to do, if they looked at the communication between the data pod and the gyro.

Everything I've read so far seems to indicate that this gyro flies as well as the VX1, which makes it pretty good value when you compare it to the price people have been paying for the VX1.

Here's a video of the VX1n in action and I mean action:

Spartan Votex 1.20 tuning test flight Protos 500 (2 min 40 sec)