HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Oct 2012
34 Posts
Discussion
new to rc couple questions

I want to fly a rc plane and I am looking at buying a Supper Cub LP and was wondering if I should get it with the 4ch radio (199) or get the plane (169) and maybe get a Spectrum DXE5 or something else that I can grow into. Also any input as far as a trainer would also be appreciated. I have flown heli's if you can call it flying (very hard).
Thanks
cruuiser56 is offline Find More Posts by cruuiser56
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:08 AM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Apr 2009
2,492 Posts
The Super Cub is fine, but if you decide to buy a radio seperatly do not get a DX5. At the very least get a DX6i or any computerized radio.
tacx is offline Find More Posts by tacx
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,862 Posts
Agreed.

Word
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
I would def get the dx6i radio. Pass on the one coming with the plane. You will get addicted and want more planes. Dx6i has a 10 plane memory whereas you would need to rebind to new planes all the time with the one plane memory 4 or 5 radio. Plus you will have access to dual rates/expo, sub trim etc... and those are VERY nice to have around.
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:21 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,961 Posts
The DX5e is a great radio if it comes with a plane you buy or if you only have $50 to spend for a transmitter and absolutely have no stage coaches available to rob for more money. Compared to my first radio, a Futaba FP7FGK, it is a really great radio with all the features a premium radio used to have for a fifth the price. The DX5e is equal in quality to any other radio Spektrum sells.

Where it is different is in features. Being a computer radio, the DX6i gives you adjustments up the wazoo (technical term, don't worry about it) to make your life easier. None of them is essential to flying a plane. All of them will have you claiming they are essential after you use them and see how useful they are. If you can afford it buy the DX6i or above.

Eric, my DX5e is bound to four different planes right now. I just turn on the receiver and I'm flying with any of the four. No rebinding is necessary. The DX5e has dual rates but not expo.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Apr 2009
2,492 Posts
Thats true, but every time you fly one of those planes you have to retrim all the surfaces.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:48 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
3,961 Posts
I assemble my linkages so with the servo centered the surface is centered. Switching the radio may not make it absolutely perfect but it's never more than a couple of clicks off. It takes two seconds to set things right.

We didn't always have radios with model memory. And we didn't feel crippled either! We allowed for that in the assembly of our planes so switching radios was a piece of cake.

Now you might want different programming mixes for each plane and that's not a mechanical adjustment. But we didn't have programming mixes. Nobody told us we needed 'em, we didn't know what they were and didn't miss 'em.

Nothing's changed. All that stuff is nice, but unnecessary. Set up the planes right and switching the receiver from one plane to another is quick and easy without much trim adjustment needed at all. If you have multiple receivers you just flip one plane off and the other on. Go flying! It's all a matter of preparation.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Thats true, but every time you fly one of those planes you have to retrim all the surfaces.
My point exactly. While it does have DR, you can't set them.
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Mar 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I assemble my linkages so with the servo centered the surface is centered. Switching the radio may not make it absolutely perfect but it's never more than a couple of clicks off. It takes two seconds to set things right.

We didn't always have radios with model memory. And we didn't feel crippled either! We allowed for that in the assembly of our planes so switching radios was a piece of cake.

Now you might want different programming mixes for each plane and that's not a mechanical adjustment. But we didn't have programming mixes. Nobody told us we needed 'em, we didn't know what they were and didn't miss 'em.

Nothing's changed. All that stuff is nice, but unnecessary. Set up the planes right and switching the receiver from one plane to another is quick and easy without much trim adjustment needed at all. If you have multiple receivers you just flip one plane off and the other on. Go flying! It's all a matter of preparation.
Agree
avijiang is offline Find More Posts by avijiang
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Apr 2009
2,492 Posts
Here are a few other things we didn't need back then, that we have now. Are you willing to give them up?

Your cell phone?

Your garage door opener?

Your dishwasher?

Your I-pad?

Your computer?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

and what if you have flaps, and you want them setup on a three position toggle ? A good radio is a must ! Sure if your flying a trainer a good TX isnt a huge deal, that is until it gets 100 feet out and loses connection with the cheap rx and tx .
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,757 Posts
I bought the BNF Super Cub and the DX6i at the same time. I had a HZ Firebird Stratos and HZ Champ and knew I was going to stay in the hobby for a while. I started with a DX5e bound to my Champ, but knew from my experience with RC cars (I have a Spektrum DX3s) that I really wanted a computer radio.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:11 AM
High Impact Lander
United States, ME, Gorham
Joined Oct 2011
84 Posts
I made the DX5 mistake. Immediately traded it in (Thanks Local Hobby Store!) for a DX6i. Painful to buy (for me, I'm far from rich), but worth the money. Save up for it!
jamz2233 is offline Find More Posts by jamz2233
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Nov 2011
935 Posts
The key here isn't really the TX at all, it is the OP himself and his wallet. If you are just going to dabble to see if you like the hobby enough to stay in then you might want to go cheap. If you have plenty of money, then go ahead and go cheap first. But if you know that you are going to stay in the hobby and don't have a lot of money to play with, then you need to make every choice count. Maximum bang for the buck! That means that the first radio that you buy should be able to allow you to grow in the hobby for at least 3 years. The DX5e can still be useful for flying in 3 years, but can it keep up with 3 years of growth?
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:01 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
3,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx View Post
Here are a few other things we didn't need back then, that we have now. Are you willing to give them up?

Your cell phone?

Your garage door opener?

Your dishwasher?

Your I-pad?

Your computer?
A basic cell phone is great. I woudn't miss it if I didn't have it. I'd use other people's if necessary. I actually enjoy solitude and privacy.

Don't have a garage door opener and never wanted one.

Don't have a dishwasher, except for myself, my wife and son. They work great!

Wouldn't own an I-pad if they paid me. Nazi computers aren't my style. I enjoy the open-source world of Android and love my $200 Le Pan TC-970. That's most of the goodies for less than a quarter the price and no stupid restrictions and no Nazis telling me what they will and won't allow to run on my machine. Freedom is cheap here! (how did a totalitarian police state like Apple become "cool?" Because they TOLD us they were cool and we were stupid enough to believe it.)

My computer? I will give up my computer when they pry my cold dead hands.....

I stipulated that the computer features are nice. I also correctly stated that they are not necessary to have run flying RC airplanes. I love my DX5e. Even after I get a more advanced radio it will remain in service as a buddy box. So it was money well spent.