HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2002, 09:47 PM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
Whoa! FVK's new Gillette 2 - a "bigger Bandit" ?

I just stumbled upon this beauty while browsing FVK's new products. From what I can tell, the Gillette 2 has a 1.94M Obeechi/glass/carbon/foam MH30 wing with either a slope or electic fuse. All for $200! Could this be the "bigger Bandit" I've been waiting for?

http://www.fvk.de/Gillette%202.html

If Sal, Sean, or anyone else out there would like to import this baby for a reasonable price, put me first on the list.

- chris
freq is offline Find More Posts by freq
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2002, 02:00 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
Don't you think the MiniGraphite would be a better choice, if you target a hotliner ?

http://www.fvk.de/Englisch/Mini%20Grphit.html

Patrick.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Dec 04, 2002, 04:45 AM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
For sure. But when the 60% price difference is considered, the Gillette 2 shouts "buy me and don't even give it a second thought!" Per FVK pricing, 199EUR for the Gillette and 320EUR for the Mini Graphite.

I think the Bandit is so succesful because you get such great performance and durability for so little money. It's one of the best bang-for-the-buck ships out there. There's a lot to be said for raw performance, and a Surprise or Arianne may be in my future, but so much fun can be had on the cheap. For me, there's a lot less to worry about if I'm not tossing $1700 around the sky at 150 MPH.

- chris
Old Dec 04, 2002, 04:49 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
I agree with you for the $ in the sky, I have the same feeling.

About this gillette, you think it is really a hotliner ? like the Bandit.

I had the feeling it was more like a glider, and may not survive abuses you will do to a hotliner ?
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Dec 04, 2002, 05:03 AM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
Truth is, Patrick, I don't know. The airfoil is fast and the wings appear to be of similar or better construction to those of the Bandit. Will that strength hold up in on a 2M wing? We'll see. I emailed Brian Anderson for more info.

To my knowledge, there is only one fellow Ezoner out there claiming ownership of a Gillette 2, purchased just a few days ago, so we'll have to wait for his results. A small handfull of folks are flying the original Gillette 1.8M RG14 sloper, but there doesn't seem to be much info out there yet. I suppose one of us will just have to break down and buy one to find out.

- chris
Old Dec 04, 2002, 04:54 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
I have to say that I saw Brian's Gillette 2s at the weekend, and I was very impressed.

I also flew the RCM-Pelikan Filip 600 Sport a couple of weeks ago, and I am amazed that it has not featured in a thread (to my knowledge), and the price is very good for a qualilty ARTF (what has been quoted for the Gillette 2 - but a lot less over here).
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Dec 05, 2002, 08:07 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,794 Posts
Both models look great (and good value), but I'd probably be a bit cautious about doing hotliner type manoeuvres with a 2M foam/veneer wing ...
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 05, 2002, 08:31 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Look at the wing mount - it is not a hotliner..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 05, 2002, 01:08 PM
I hole jumped him!!!
Amarillo Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2001
931 Posts
What about this one?

What I'm wondering is why I would pick either of those over the Adriana that's on sale over at Sal's site. I wish I could spring for a Mini Graphite, but the Adrianna looks very similar. Anyone have one, or could just possibly share a little info on it?
Sure looks like an interesting barrel of fun at only $169.

Andy W, ya seem to always know something about these type of planes...whatchyathink?

Here's a link.... (my finger is itchin' on the buy button!)

http://www.nesail.com/Topmodels/adriana.htm
Lance is offline Find More Posts by Lance
Old Dec 05, 2002, 01:25 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Looks like a nice cross between a hotliner and a thermal ship. I wouldn't overpower it like a true F5B, but if it handles the systems he has suggested, it would still be a lot of fun.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 05, 2002, 01:53 PM
I hole jumped him!!!
Amarillo Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Dec 2001
931 Posts
I have educated myself

Thanks Andy.
I have educated myself a bit more on it in the last few minutes.
It seems that to get more hits in the E-sailplane forum, all you have to do is a keyword search and spell the name *wrong* by omitting one of the "n"'s. That's right, most people spell it adriana instead of adrianna.
I read all posts that had it both ways. Looks like a fun warmliner, but not one to do the stupid dive and jerk antics that I am so oft to do with the Bandit.

Oh well.....maybe the Nike will go on sale again soon. (fingers crossed)
Lance is offline Find More Posts by Lance
Old Dec 05, 2002, 08:50 PM
soft yummy goodness.
North Jersey, USA
Joined Oct 2001
735 Posts
I, too, was intersted in the Adrianna until some friends talked me out of it due to the way it's constructed.

Bill, since the Bandit wing of similar construction has proven so durable, is it merely the additional span that has you worried?

And then we have the wing mount. Andy, would you mind elaborating as to why this isn't suitable for the "stupid dive and jerk antics" that Lance mentioned?

John, I was hoping you'd chime in. Did you see the Gillette II in the air? Also, the fuses in the Filip line look pretty, but not ummm, hotliner-ish with their bulbous noses. Is it any different in the Filip 600 Sport? I, like Andy, have the built-up thermaler version of the Filip 600.

- chris
Old Dec 06, 2002, 04:40 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by freq
Bill, since the Bandit wing of similar construction has proven so durable, is it merely the additional span that has you worried?

Yes, these are bigger and heavier models than the Bandit .. so a film-covered foam/veneer wing simply isn't going to be as safe at high speed/G as a moulded composite wing (which all real hotliners have). You can still have a lot of fun, just have to be that bit more careful not to overstress it.

As Andy pointed out, the 'plug-in' wings on the Gillette may not be ideal for high speed antics either. Unlikely to be as rigid and secure as the bolted fixing normally used on hotliners.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Dec 06, 2002, 11:59 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
freq,

We were at the British Association of Radio Control Soarers AGM, and unfortunately not flying. I have to say that it was a joy to visit Brian's stand and see the unquestionable quality, and if circumstances were different I would probably be leaving pictures of one of his models around the house for "Santa" to see.

That said, the 600 Sport appears to be very similar to the 600 thermal on the ground, and at the root they both use the same 9% thick section. The fuselage is exactly the same, and does allow easy access for fitting out. I have been flying the 600 thermal hard for all of last season and it is an excellent thermal soarer with limited aerobatic capability. A friend assembled a 600 Sport for me, and from the launch, the Sport is completely different. The slightly larger ailerons are far more effective, so I was able to loop and roll on the climb, and reversals were a non-event. I pulled loops as tight and fast as I could, and there were no issues at all with either build up of speed or high G manoeuvres. I also slowed the Sport down, it only dropped one wing very gently right at the point of stall, and that was soon picked up as the nose was lowered to regain flying speed.

I really do think that there is room for a more gentle aerobat that fits between the thermal soarer and the fast hotliner for "slope soaring off the flat" type of flying. If I am not flying a 600 Sport next season it will only be because I have to fly other models. Even if the Gillette is not a super hotliner (which it might be) I am confident that it woud make a great fun aerobat (along with 600 Sport )
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Jan 24, 2003, 07:44 PM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Sep 2002
653 Posts
Just found this when I did a search on the Gillette II. Just thought I would point you to this thread in case you all missed it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=gillette

Mark
Cones is offline Find More Posts by Cones