HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2007, 09:39 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,582 Posts
Discussion
Visit to the Canadian Aviation Museum today.

Had a couple of spare hours today after travelling from FW to Ottawa and was lucky enough to get to visit the Canadian Aviation Musuem in Ottawa. A real gem of an aviation musuem....you Ottawa area R/C group members are lucky to have this in your back yard!

Pictures to follow later, as I forgot to bring my card reader...argh.

Web site here....they have a HUGE photo database for the artifacts:

http://www.aviation.technomuses.ca/

Especially enjoyed the extensive collection of historic bush planes (Bellanca Pacemaker, Junkers W-34...wow!) and the two Curtis flying boats, the HS-2L and the Seagull. The two Curtis boats were in beautiful shape.

Fox Moth, Puss Moth were very cool to see in person.

Seeing the rare and interesting CL-84 Dynavert was very cool.

Paid homage to the surviving Avro Arrow nose section...and was nice to see a CF-100 in the flesh, as well.

Enjoyed seeing their beautiful Lancaster, Lysander, Hurricane and Spit.

Was fun to see a McDonnell Banshee in UK/Canadian style postward naval aircraft grays, matching the Sea Fury sitting next to it.

Not many places you can see a Stringbag in North America, either......I think this is IT!

I only got to see the main building today..lots of rare and interesting stuff across the ramp in the other storage area.

I will have to get back over there this week....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:09 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Sep 2005
57 Posts
There is a great selection there. I grew up in Ottawa, so I used to spend many days there. Moved away the year they got the Me109. They should have the Me162 salamander and and the Me163 rocket plane. There is also a nice group of ww1 fighters and bombers. Definately worth a visit.

Cheers,
Marc
yorcram is offline Find More Posts by yorcram
Old Apr 10, 2007, 09:32 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,582 Posts
I saw the Me-163, but did not go over to the other building....was out of time, so did not see the He-162.

The WWII section is indeed very notable...the AEG G.IV twin engine short range bomber on display was the only twin engine German aircraft from WWI to survive to this day, albiet without the orginal Daimler Mercedes engines.

I did not list everything I laid bare eyeballs on...wanted to list a few highlights and give the museum link for more information.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel