HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romis View Post
Hi, I am just building my Swift, but I would like to practice flying with wing on simulator. Does anybody has Swift (or other wing) in Phoenix or AFPD?

Thanks.
There is a Flying Wing in Fixed Wing -> Electric models of Phoenix 4.0m (that's what I have)
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:10 AM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dworf View Post
Hello all,

I have an Swift II which is reinforced with carbon rod that goes through entire wing and on elevons.

I have an issue with it tho.

At high speed it starts to roll to the left hard. When i push the stick to right to compensate it does not help much just a little it still goes into an death roll to the left. Only way to save the swift is to cut the throttle and wait few seconds so that speed goes down then i can control the plane normally.

Anyone else had same issues? how did you solve it? any ideas?

thanks all

Dworf
I had a maxi swift that did exactly that once, but I was to low and reacted to late to save it.I never figured out what it was, but it made a mess.Its got something to do with speed and i don't think its torque roll.Mine had a lot of power like 1600w and on full throttle it didn't roll much at all until it picked up speed then it rolled hard.If it was a thrust angle issue it would happen at slow speed as soon as you went WOT.
Can you try a underpowered dive and see if it still rolls?
HydroThief is offline Find More Posts by HydroThief
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
If the roll is directly related to the speed, you've got a wing problem. Do you have winglets? Are they straight?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
United Kingdom, Powys
Joined Feb 2012
28 Posts
Hope this isn't off topic, but I[m trying to find a Swift II to order in the UK, and just can't! Anyone knows a reputable online shop that had them in stock?
Cheers...
buze is offline Find More Posts by buze
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:01 AM
United Kingdom, Powys
Joined Feb 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Hope this isn't off topic, but I[m trying to find a Swift II to order in the UK, and just can't! Anyone knows a reputable online shop that had them in stock?
Cheers...
Scratch that, found aeroshack had stock!
buze is offline Find More Posts by buze
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:58 AM
RC4Life not just 4 xmas
southampton uk
Joined Jun 2006
4,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Cheers...
Here you go
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index....230ac1dbaa70f9
p4ddy is offline Find More Posts by p4ddy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 02:26 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
If the roll is directly related to the speed, you've got a wing problem. Do you have winglets? Are they straight?
Thats quite unlikely as the winglets on mine are bend inwards and this only matters at low speeds, more specifically take-off. When airborne it doesn't matter at all, regardless of speed. The motor on mine isn't that strong or fast though.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Swift II - Overall Performance Upgrade advice..?

After 2-3 years of flying my Swift II (24g Hextronic/1000mAh 3S/8x4 Prop) it's getting a little slow...or at least it feels that way. If I want to go really fast I just fly my F-27Q or Ritewing. But just the same, I would still like to increase the overall performance of my Swift II.

I've been reading through this thread now for over 2 hours and there's alot of information over many years...

But what is the current..best upgrade combo (ie.Motor/Prop/ESC) to increase performance on the Swift II....now available?

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
A lot of people recommended (to me) something along the lines of 1500kv 225w. Specifically, the 2217-06 1500kv from a place like Grayson Hobby (that includes matching ESC) and a 8x4 prop. You can find something similar from your preferred vendor, just look for about 70g and 225w. A Swift II with FPV gear will go vertical until the battery dies.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
A lot of people recommended (to me) something along the lines of 1500kv 225w. Specifically, the 2217-06 1500kv from a place like Grayson Hobby (that includes matching ESC) and a 8x4 prop. You can find something similar from your preferred vendor, just look for about 70g and 225w. A Swift II with FPV gear will go vertical until the battery dies.
Viper,

Thanks..I almost forgot about the Grayson Motor/ESC Combo's..great idea for the Swift II.

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
I have forgot to mention, but it has most likely to do with weight distribution and center of gravity that'll cause undesired rolling when the speed increases. Not sure if this could also cause a sudden turn though.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
I have forgot to mention, but it has most likely to do with weight distribution and center of gravity that'll cause undesired rolling when the speed increases. Not sure if this could also cause a sudden turn though.
I'm no engineer, so maybe we can put our thoughts together and solve it. Maybe the winglets aren't the problem.

As I understand it, lift is dependent on angle of attack. If the wings are aligned in parallel and symmetrical, this produces lift perpendicular to the surface.

If one wing is out of alignment, at a different angle, it will lift more or less, and cause the craft to roll on its axis.

But...there are much more knowledgeable folks here who could debunk that I'm sure.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
I'm no engineer, so maybe we can put our thoughts together and solve it. Maybe the winglets aren't the problem.

As I understand it, lift is dependent on angle of attack. If the wings are aligned in parallel and symmetrical, this produces lift perpendicular to the surface.

If one wing is out of alignment, at a different angle, it will lift more or less, and cause the craft to roll on its axis.

But...there are much more knowledgeable folks here who could debunk that I'm sure.
Yes, true, but even a single bend winglet won't cause a roll because lift and drag will still provide enough stability. One could easily get away with angled winglets and some flying wings have those by design. The slower the speed though, the heavier drag will have it's effect on overall lift and performance. One should expect a roll tendency with slowest speeds.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Yes, true, but even a single bend winglet won't cause a roll because lift and drag will still provide enough stability. One could easily get away with angled winglets and some flying wings have those by design. The slower the speed though, the heavier drag will have it's effect on overall lift and performance. One should expect a roll tendency with slowest speeds.
Ahh ok, I didn't realize how it reacts to slow speeds. hmm
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:19 AM
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
825 Posts
For speed the micro dan is the ultimate motor. Low weight 34g and comes in several different kvs. The swift does'nt want to go super fast because of the thick airfoil so about 65mph is all it's good for. Faster than that things get messy.
i have one with a 2535 kv and a 1300mah 3s batt. AUW 16oz so it still handles good at low speeds.
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier