HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2014, 01:49 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
127 Posts
New Product
Great Planes Extra 300SP EP ARF

This is a good looking fun ship for 4s lipo and medium size motor. Looking at the manual it seems to be well built with nice color trim. I was thinking a Turnigy NTM 4248 650kV/1295W motor and Turnigy Plush 60A ESC. The motor is 45g heavier than the recommended Rimfire .32 but maybe it is more powerful? Anyway price is about half, same with ESC. Any reports or ideas?

Zep
LedZepplin is offline Find More Posts by LedZepplin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2014, 12:06 AM
Cleared for Takeoff
United States, TX, Euless
Joined Jun 2006
33 Posts
I am about to finish up this model as soon as the servos arrive. I went with the Rimfire .32 and a Phoenix Edge LITE 50A ESC.

Any reports from anyone?

The manual recommends a 2200maH 3S for "sport" flying. Seems to be a little small for this setup.
tangocharlie is offline Find More Posts by tangocharlie
Old Sep 24, 2014, 07:54 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
127 Posts
Yeah, the 3s/2200 seems a LOT small. I have Factor 3D with Rimfire .10 and flight time is none too long with that battery. I plan to use 4s/2650 for this one. Also the manual says to use voltage regulator but I don't understand why other than for redundancy. Seems like it would waste motor power unless you run it from separate batt.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 01:23 AM
Cleared for Takeoff
Joined Jun 2006
33 Posts
Futaba recommends using 4.8V for the servos (S3150) that are called out for in the manual.

Not only did I not use those servos, but the ESC I have has a user adjustable BEC. I don't think the equipment the manual suggests has that capability.

I ordered Spektrum A4010 servos to run in mine.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 07:28 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
127 Posts
I was going to use Futaba S3115 servos which are near equivalent to Spektrum A4010. The recommended SS-45A ESC has BEC but as you said is not adjustable. I'm also looking at Turnigy G32 motor, 3 different kV's in that series. Please pass along any building tips or suggested mods for this bird.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:08 AM
Cleared for Takeoff
Joined Jun 2006
33 Posts
It looks like the SS-45A ESC has a 5.0V BEC. That should be fine for the servos.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:03 AM
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
good,It looks like the SS-45A ESC has a 5.0V BEC. That should be fine for the servos.
rsmyearon is offline Find More Posts by rsmyearon
Old Sep 26, 2014, 05:40 PM
Cleared for Takeoff
Joined Jun 2006
33 Posts
Flew the maiden on mine today! It flies great! I tried the first flight on 3S and it did okay. Second flight got a prop change to a 12x6E APC and 4S and it had TONS of power.

The canopy departed on the second flight somehow and was busted when it hit the horizontal stab. A new canopy was ordered while I was at the field and I will be stocking up on a couple more 4S batteries while I wait for it to arrive.

I am thinking about adding a canopy pin at the rear like the larger models have to keep it well secured.
Last edited by tangocharlie; Sep 26, 2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 05:23 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
127 Posts
Thanks for the update tango. What 4s capacity and C-rating did you order? I may order the Turnigy G32/600kV motor and Nanotech 4s/2650/25~50C lipos. I have sworn off Electrifly batteries, they puff up long before due. My Nanotechs are still going strong.

Zep
Old Sep 27, 2014, 07:36 PM
Cleared for Takeoff
Joined Jun 2006
33 Posts
The 4S I am using are ones they had in stock at the local hobby shop. They are Hyperion 4S 2200mah 45C. All my other current batteries are turnigy nano-tech and they are doing good so far although they are all still young.

I haven't touched any electrifly batteries, but I recently retired four eflite batteries that were all puffed.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 07:47 AM
D/FW
Joined Aug 2004
704 Posts
I'm not sure how your canopy is held on, but you may want to check a thing or two. You likely need a vent of some sort in the bottom of the fuse to keep pressure from building up inside. That can cause canopies to blow off if you don't have it. On a plane this size on 4S I wouldn't rely on magnets either if that's what they're using.

Great looking plane though, and congrats on a successful maiden.
JoeDirtRC is offline Find More Posts by JoeDirtRC
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:58 AM
Cleared for Takeoff
Joined Jun 2006
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDirtRC View Post
I'm not sure how your canopy is held on, but you may want to check a thing or two. You likely need a vent of some sort in the bottom of the fuse to keep pressure from building up inside. That can cause canopies to blow off if you don't have it. On a plane this size on 4S I wouldn't rely on magnets either if that's what they're using.

Great looking plane though, and congrats on a successful maiden.

A very valid point!

I thought maybe I had forgot to properly secure the canopy. There aren't any outlet vents on the fuselage and I'm sure there is a lot of air moving into the airframe from the cowl inlets.

The second canopy will be properly secured for sure.
Old Oct 03, 2014, 02:48 AM
Thunder Bay, ON
Joined Sep 2006
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangocharlie View Post
I am about to finish up this model as soon as the servos arrive. I went with the Rimfire .32 and a Phoenix Edge LITE 50A ESC.

Any reports from anyone?

The manual recommends a 2200maH 3S for "sport" flying. Seems to be a little small for this setup.
A 2200maH 3S for "sport" flying is fine as long as you prop up to the 13 x 8E (I've used that combo with the stock motor). Flight times wont be long however . . 5 - 6 minute range. A 2600 3S might be better.
FumbleHead is offline Find More Posts by FumbleHead
Old Oct 03, 2014, 02:55 AM
Thunder Bay, ON
Joined Sep 2006
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedZepplin View Post
Thanks for the update tango. What 4s capacity and C-rating did you order? I may order the Turnigy G32/600kV motor and Nanotech 4s/2650/25~50C lipos. I have sworn off Electrifly batteries, they puff up long before due. My Nanotechs are still going strong.

Zep
That motor is 200KV lower than the 'stock' motor. You may have to prop up to a 13 x 6.5E to get some performance. The 13 x 8E used on the 3S setup might even be ok with that motor, but check the current draw to be safe.
FumbleHead is offline Find More Posts by FumbleHead
Old Oct 09, 2014, 03:39 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jan 2013
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FumbleHead View Post
That motor is 200KV lower than the 'stock' motor. You may have to prop up to a 13 x 6.5E to get some performance. The 13 x 8E used on the 3S setup might even be ok with that motor, but check the current draw to be safe.
Thanks. I could get the G32 770kV but power spec is 620W vs. 925W for Rimfire. So it seems the plane would be under-powered. Not sure what to believe but for the price of the Rimfire I can buy two Turnigys, shipped! Any suggestions for bigger motor?
Last edited by LedZepplin; Oct 09, 2014 at 03:55 PM.