SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy View Post
Thanks, Peter, I get it now. I wasn't seeing the true size of this bird, just focusing on the span and not appreciating the wing area and overall volume.

See how we tend to do that? At my field, wingspan is your bragging rights, where in reality we should probably be comparing cubic inches or wetted area. Like that's gonna happen...

(Btw, hat tip to Thomas B, who in his earlier post, already pointed this out.)
No problem, I completely understand. When I was looking at the CAD files I was thinking the same thing, 4.2m is a nice size, I was thinking ASK18 like you however when you see it in real life it's a much biger model. We will be taking it to the WRAM show if you want to see it in person,

Pete
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:27 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHorizon View Post
The wing plan form of the Blanik is also quite generous with area. In fact in testing we flew it up to 26lbs and it flew fine, in fact I preferred it a little heavier as it had a lot more energy for aerobatics.
Thanks for that Peter. In one of the other threads on this plane, I asked about the airfoil(s) and was informed it was "HQ series", but can you clarify which ones?

Judging by the video and specifically the inverted and negative snap performance, it's definitely got something with some camber... it would just be nice to know what, exactly. As a sailplane person yourself, I'm sure you understand.

Thanks,

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Jan 2007
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Thanks for that Peter. In one of the other threads on this plane, I asked about the airfoil(s) and was informed it was "HQ series", but can you clarify which ones?

Judging by the video and specifically the inverted and negative snap performance, it's definitely got something with some camber... it would just be nice to know what, exactly. As a sailplane person yourself, I'm sure you understand.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve I'm not exactly sure of the number as we worked backwards from the requirements we needed the aero to do, Strength, LD then camber. The foil was modified from the original HQ form so it's not going to be a specific number any more. Probably misleading calling it a HQ however that’s where we started with. It's in the range of 3% camber depending on where you take your measurements as the thickness changes from root to tip.

Sorry I don't have a specific number, I guess we are calling it the PG14 :-). I'm pretty happy with the results as it has remarkable performance, especially in thermal mode.. One of our test pilots, who is not a traditional sailplane guy had a 45minute flight from 1500' tow. In fact it was hard to get the TX back from him. It definately has what I wanted which is a good all round performer.

Pete
TeamHorizon is offline Find More Posts by TeamHorizon
Site Sponsor
Last edited by TeamHorizon; Jan 31, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:23 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Pete, that's awesome; based on that inverted performance, I was figuring it had a good deal of camber, and your reasons for using it - making it strong, and making it a good allrounder - are of course totally sound.

I'm actually really stoked to see it's a sheeted wing, too - so much easier to fix than hollow molded.

I hope the plane is a big success (pardon the pun ) for you guys. Please tell me you'll do a big MDM-1 Fox someday, too? I will for sure be in line for that one!!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:05 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
everyone has done a fox..... how about a Kobutz
Big Nuts 181 is online now Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:30 PM
Joined Jan 2005
56 Posts
Blanik

Seems funny that the full size Blaniks are mostly grounded, and now there are going to be heaps of model blaniks. Hope they get the success of the fullsize
colin collyer is offline Find More Posts by colin collyer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:49 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,680 Posts
At least the models wont suffer from microfillic spar corrosion. What a shame for the Full sized crowd.

Sounds like an opportunity for someone refit or rewing all those old L-13 fuses.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:44 PM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
621 Posts
The Super Blaniks are still flying! That would be a great model.
Tappet is online now Find More Posts by Tappet
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,595 Posts
I vote IS 28, that hasn't been modelled to death!
Big Nuts 181 is online now Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:32 PM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181 View Post
I vote IS 28, that hasn't been modelled to death!
Ooooooh, good one, Rossco! Sexy and appealing yet different from the other glassie clones.

Also, the single-place IS-29 would also be a hottie in quarter-scale.
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:27 PM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,503 Posts
great picture IS28B2 did all my training in one of these in Alice springs NT
Desert flier is offline Find More Posts by Desert flier