HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Dec 2012
13 Posts
Question
Walkera Ladybird 3D stunts

I'm still new to the hobby but am very interested in 3D helicopters/quadcopters, I have a Ladybird which was my first craft and the only one I'm confident enough to even attempt 3D maneuvers, though I'm struggling, half the time after I'm done I find myself having to replace the main frame of my LadyBird after a day of attempting stunts, thankfully the frames are extremely cheap.

What is the secret behind pulling off rolls and flips on a Quadcopter like the Ladybird? I've seen it pulled off indoors on videos, though the only time I have any luck is if I give myself a lot of altitude to recover from the flip.

On a side note I just purchased a Walkera Master CP, any tips on this craft as well?
Brandon G. is offline Find More Posts by Brandon G.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:22 PM
=>] Smack 3D Head [<=
United States, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2007
3,120 Posts
The secret with the CP heli is about a year solid of orientation training along with circuits and things to teach you to always be in control of the heli. A simulator is really needed to achieve the control needed to fly 3D.

Anytime you can not change the pitch of the blades on the machine you must limit the pull during the flip. So if I were going to flip a fixed pitch heli I move my throttle to less than half during the flip. If the blades are pulling down toward the ground when the machine turns over it will pull it to the ground and with the aid of gravity. I don't fly quad copters but I get the basic idea of doing a flip or roll with one because I flip fixed pitch. It is challenging and requires a fluid movement.
HeliSmith is offline Find More Posts by HeliSmith
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon G. View Post
I'm still new to the hobby but am very interested in 3D helicopters/quadcopters, I have a Ladybird which was my first craft and the only one I'm confident enough to even attempt 3D maneuvers, though I'm struggling, half the time after I'm done I find myself having to replace the main frame of my LadyBird after a day of attempting stunts, thankfully the frames are extremely cheap.

What is the secret behind pulling off rolls and flips on a Quadcopter like the Ladybird? I've seen it pulled off indoors on videos, though the only time I have any luck is if I give myself a lot of altitude to recover from the flip.

On a side note I just purchased a Walkera Master CP, any tips on this craft as well?
I own both of the products you own, and so far I have been able to do flips with my ladybird. For me, the trick has been to throttle up and gain altitude before attempting the flip, once the flip is initiated, I center the aile/elev stick and let the gyro take over a sec then use the aile/elev and throttle to level it back out. I have been able to flip it in a room with 10 ft celings without touching the ground.

As far as the Master CP. I only set up my remote using the walkera recommended settings and leveled the swashplate. Mine was just slightly off, but with the minor tweaks I did, my Master CP lifts off with almost no stick corrections and is extremely stable. In my opinion the Master CP is a good beginner heli, but still I prefer my Genius CP because crashing rarely requires parts being replaced. Do yourself a favor and order 3 metal gear servos from Banggood.com. You will eventually crash, and that pretty much guarantees at least 1 of the servos strip after a single crash... It happened to me on the very first hard crash.
Dleach1407 is offline Find More Posts by Dleach1407