Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:19 AM
I added lift to my stable!
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Question
B3 Factory peg gave up the ghost . . .

Hi Guys,

Red the detailed Blaster 3 Build thread a year ago and saw some folks were having problems with their pegs breaking off. I figured I'd give it a shot anyhow and lightly sanded the full ST wing were the peg would go (down to the carbon) and then followed the directions by the book.

I've been throwing the plane since then with no problems till this weekend. You know the drill . . .spin....pop...@$#$% !

The upper part of the peg is still rock solid, but the bottom part popped cleanly off the underside taking the downward vertical part of the peg with it. Its kind of funny , because the vertical upward facing part of the peg now also has the carbon separating and crunchy.

That's my long winded way to say what next? I have some carbon weave fabric and epoxy, flock, micro balloons, etc. etc. etc.

I'm thinking Dremel and drum to remove what's left of the original and then simply make a slot just wide enough for a replacement peg with epoxy/flock mix to be inserted through the wing-- finish up with a wetted carbon patch on top and bottom . . .sound ok? Other thoughts or things to watch out for?

Thanks

Tbird
tbird911 is offline Find More Posts by tbird911
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:25 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Grind and sand it off, replace with another B3 peg, and drill a .060 carbon rod (1/16 drill) through both tabs and the wing. Attach with medium CA. Sand the .060 rod flush with the top and bottom of the tab so you don't cut yourself on it.

If you tie the ends of the "tabs" together so they can't flex apart and peel off the wing, you should be golden.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:33 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
my enforcement work.

add two 1.5mm carbon rod

the carbon is very hard, the drill must be sharp enough!
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Nick,

That's almost exactly what I'm talking about... with one addition: It is absolutely imperative that you sand away the paint to the carbon.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:38 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Thanks guys . . .

Thanks for the great info guys!

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:22 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004 View Post
Nick,

That's almost exactly what I'm talking about... with one addition: It is absolutely imperative that you sand away the paint to the carbon.
haha, I have sanded it before I install the blade, but forget to take photo
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:42 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Hey guys . . . .

If I were to decide and install a regular throwing peg through the wing (mine is the full ST wing), would I just make a slot , stick it through and then add carbon patch on top and bottom or do I need to make a hard point etc. etc.?

Thanks

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:02 PM
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Hole, peg, patch... good to go.

You can make a SMALL hardpoint inside the wing if you want but it isn't necessary.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:37 PM
It's a mere flesh wound!
Woodstock,Ga.
Joined Jun 2004
1,134 Posts
My B3 throwing peg failed pretty much the same way yours did.

I replaced it with one of Gavin's T-Blades.

And before anyone asks...Yes, the peg is still within the 1.5 meter wingspan limit!!

Buddy
Buddy Roos is offline Find More Posts by Buddy Roos
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:49 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
17,044 Posts
Got sick of throwing my B3 blades off and went to a CR blade. Bulletproof and weight gain was negligible.

Still love the stock B3 blades!!!! They do feel very good.

I went a year w/o breaking one, and then it was a a breakfest.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Feb 2007
647 Posts
Taking the easy way out for now . . .

Barry from Kennedy is sending me a couple of factory pegs. Definitely going to clean up the existing area, attach new factory peg and pin as shown above. Any more problems after that and it'll be a Validol peg and be done with it.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Tbird
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:10 PM
Los Osos, CA
Joined May 2008
222 Posts
If you want another suggestion I'll put my two cents in. Sand the area on the wing surface where the peg attaches. Attach the peg with thin CA. At about one quarter inch from the fuse end of the peg drill a !/16" hole on the centerline of the peg. Drill another hole on each side of the peg opposite the center hole. With a needle and kevlar thread sew the top and bottom of the peg together alternating holes in systematic fashion with as many wraps as you can make. Thin CA the sewn kevlar thread. Smooth with additional layers of CA sand lightly between(not the kevlar thread).
I think my peg popped off because I didn't sand all the way down to the carbon, that's for sure. Also the leverage of the finger arms of the peg tend to lift the wing portion of the peg off the wing surface, so now you have the top and bottom of the peg at the wing holding each other in place with the kevlar thread.
My peg split at the finger arms when it pulled off but did not completely come apart so I CA them together before attaching the peg. At the suggestion of GMO and RCPC, I wrapped each finger arm with kevlar thread starting at the bottom with a small tack of thin CA(kick off) and making a few wraps and another tack of CA so forth on up the arm. When entirely wrapped and tacked, saturate with thin CA and kick off. Sand lightly repeat the CA and sanding until you get it as smooth as you want it. I left mine with ripples that has a nice feel to it.
This fix has work very well for me so I thought I'd pass it along. I love my B3

Rick J
Rickj.1151 is online now Find More Posts by Rickj.1151