uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
see my comments in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter64 View Post
Steve

I have been playing with the gyro settings this morning and have notice the rudder gyro isn't doing anything, occasionaly it will start to jitter when I turn on ABM mode.

the rudder will not respond to plane movement if you are not in ABM or Nav mode... but I am sure you knew that.

in either mode if you twist the plane about its central axis this should cause a movement in rudder... actually you should only try this in abm mode (middle position on your three position switch) if you try it in nav mode or any other mode it will try and fly somwhere which is not a good test of the rudder gyro.

there are three gyros on board and one accc. Do the aileron surfaces react correctly when you bank the plane?

my first suggestion would be to reset the gyro. See the instructions it's very simple to do and takes 30 seconds. just make sure you don't move the plane when you do it (as in don't do it at the field unless the wind won't blow it around)

then after that put it in stabilize mode and twist the plane. If it does nothing even with your rudder gain set to max then there is a problem for sure.

But the frankly playing with the gyros has not improved anything. The plane flew well for 3 or 4 flights with RTL and ACM working well. It would dive a little in ABM mode but I could have lived with that. At the moment It cant be trusted. The rudder issue would suggest there is definitely something wrong with the gyro as turning the gain settings does nothing.

The only setting I have changed in the GCS is the "side offset damp" I reduced that from 60 to 50 as when in Nav mode it would fly in an S pattern. Although now when you engage nav it typically wants to plummet into the ground.

decresing the side offset dampening is directly going to effect the rudder output when in NAV mode but will not effect it in stabilize mode, this is why I suggest you do the tests in stab mode first.

now if anything the side offset dampening should be increased (as per my earlier findings and posts in this thread) mine is up at 70-80 however this can make for some very tight turns until it has the correct heading.

Now whenever people say it plummits to the ground the first thing also to check is that your ruddder gains are going the right way.... seriously this can be confusing and I have set it up wrong once too. That's how I know that this exact reaction can happen when your rudder gain is reversed.

Make sure that when you turn the nose of the plane left the rudder goes right... it will only move when you actually swing the plane so you have to watch carefully while you rotate the plane about the central axis.

The other concern is the artificial horizon, as stated earlier it seems to be very slow to react remaining vertical after banking, I take it the information it uses is coming from the gyros and that would suggest they are well an truly out.

agreed if you have AH issues then something is definatley wrong. reset they gyro's and see where that gets you. If no better then you may be looking at sending it back.

The plane is a skywalker 1900, up until this thing decided to go bad I would have said it flew very well. I think the Vibration level should be well within limits, I did mount the fy31ap on the foam anti vibration pads, but this didn't seem to make a difference so I have mounted it with velcro again.

do you have the AH issues on the ground with the motors off? if so then it's not the velcro... if you only have them when flying I would recommend trying the pads again. Velcro is actually terrible because it is inconsitant... you can really "crunch it down or you can lightly set it on top"

I'm not certain whether I should re-flash the firmware as I have read this has fixed some issues for people however as stated mine says version 2.0 and I can only find version 1.2. Or just send the bloody thing back to the people who made it, after all its not even a couple of weeks old.

I would flash firmware again if all else fails.... but 1.2 is the most recent and the one i am running.

who said there was 2.0? they may have been talking about the hornet osd firmware

I will post a video soon.

Thanks

Peter
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:04 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
what's this V2?

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/product-en...3&id=23&step=3

the latest is 1.2

you are lucky if you are trying to upload firmware for the wrong device you are lucky it's not erased

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in Oz View Post
I am trying to upload the V2 files but my system keeps dropping out when uploading, will try again later
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Oct 2011
38 Posts
Steve

yeah you are right I do know that. I have posted a video all control surfaces are moving in the right direction, that is the ones that work, not the rudder though (refer to video) The 31ap was working fine, control surfaces correct, RTH ACM all working, Its not like I changed anything. then this.

I have reset the gyros twice with the jumper Ill try it with the GCS, probably makes no difference how you do it but Ill do it again anyway.

Mine definitely says V2.0 when I check the firmware, Ill be happy to take a picture of that if you like, although I'm sure if there was a V2 it would be on the website so its probably some wrong text in their code.

Thanks for the input, Ill go do the gyros, reset the side offset damp back to 60 and see what happens,

When you watch this pay close attention to the artificial horizon. it seems to start out fine but a couple of turns and it get "confused"

Faulty FY31ap (1 min 23 sec)

EDIT: What is the "Gyro check" in the GCS suppose to do ?
Peter64 is offline Find More Posts by Peter64
Last edited by Peter64; Sep 25, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
38 Posts
I tried resetting the gyros both in the GCS and with the jumper, neither seem to have any effect. The red light continuously flashes and the rudder, when the gain is right up, just jitters and when you turn the gain down so it stops the rudder doesn't do a thing when you move the plane (with ABM on of course)

I re-flashed the unit but this has not effected anything, seems like there is a hardware fault. I have written to feiyu-tech outlining the problems and have asked to return it to them so they can inspect it. Now we will just see how good their after sales service is
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:38 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
oh man that really sucks, sorry I could not be of any help.

I think you have done everything in your power, they will return the unit I am sure.

What country do you live in? Shipping from canada to anywhere is so expensive... if you are in the US I am sure it's better.

obviously I agree that you should send it back but if you are not keen to so do there are two things I would try if you are willing to start messing about with the unit.

1) the rudder pot may be stripped or screwed up inside.... it sounds like it's not changing any values when turned... you could take apart the board and measure across the pot... resistance values should change as per the stamp on the side of the pot. If you are not electronically inclined this is not a good idea because the pot needs to be removed from the board. Alternatively you can add a resistor in the maximum amount across the pot pins and see if that gives you some rudder movement.

2) your AH is totally wack... for sure... so the only thing you changed there is placing the unit on velcro... you can try to put it back on the foam pads... you can also do a ground test too. power up the plane to all different throttle amounts by increments of say 10% and each time bank and move the plane back and forth... see if you can simulate the conditions seen in flight. If you can then maybe try strapping down the unit with tape before you remove the velcro and repeat the test... also if you fly again next time can you make sure you see the osd screen that shows the error report? it's a number from 0000 to 9999 in the upper left corner... it's very usefull and will tell you what throttle % is giving the most error.

finally and don't take it personally here but ensure you do the jumper reset properly and that means unplugging EVERYTHING. I belive it will not do anything if you have any sort of input to the box other than power. I also belive that is what the instructions say to do.

I don't know what the gyro check is supposed to do sorry.

As for FY's support it's good but they may suggest you send the unit back to your distributor as it will be closer than sending back to china. If you bought from somewhere reputable they will likely send you a new one while yours is on it's way back....

Keep us posted.

Steve
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
as for version 2 showing up on the firmware, if you have correctly loaded 1.2 then that is what is on there... the version checker on all FY products does not work properly.

Steve
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:45 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
Also can you confirm that you are using an external BEC to power the 31AP and not one from your ESC?

Steve
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined Oct 2011
38 Posts
If the thing wasn't new I would pull it apart but considering I have only had it for a few weeks, probably best I don't mess with it. I think the rudder pot is working, at full you get servo jitter and as you reduce it the jitter reduces until its completely gone near the 12 O'clock

As for the AH, it does that when its on velcro or the vibration pads, the AR numbers (the ones in the top left) hardly go above 50 at the worst spot in the throttle curve , I did the vibration test numerous times at no stage did I get a solid red light. The plane really doesn't have any vibration to speak of.

As for the jumper reset, I had the unit out of the plane did it on the bench and took it up to the computer room and did it on the desk. From what I understand you are suppose to get the red light flash very quickly and then go out, mine flashes then flashes very fast then goes back to a steady flash. I dont think it is suppose to keep flashing

I live in Australia. My daughter and wife bought this for me for fathers day, they got it from a shop on ebay, a Chinese distributor, so either way its going back to China.

I am powering it from the ESC, I have purchased a UBEC to install in it but that seems a bit pointless now. Either way the thing shouldnt do what its doing,

As for now its not going back in the plane, just can't trust it. I'l put my nova back into it for the time being until I see what these blokes are going to do about it.

I appreciate your input,

Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
757 Posts
my firmware read version 2, then i flashed it with v1.20 from there site and it still read v2 .. so i believe v1.20 on there site is actually v2.. as for the red light.. its supposed to do a double red flash when its got enough sats and its steady.. continuous red flashing means reset gyro or movement... iv got an unresolved problem that even though i reset the gyro, after an hour or so i have to reset it again, although it fully works and does rtl still... anyone know how to fix my altitude, its not working anymore ???
motofox is online now Find More Posts by motofox
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
darn well if you can't get any satisfaction from your reseller or FY let me know... I may be able to help.

if it was paid for by paypal then you can return it and file a paypal claim. they will side with you no matter what but do it soon!

then after that buy one from a reputable local dealer. Trust me when this works it's fantastic.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter64 View Post
If the thing wasn't new I would pull it apart but considering I have only had it for a few weeks, probably best I don't mess with it. I think the rudder pot is working, at full you get servo jitter and as you reduce it the jitter reduces until its completely gone near the 12 O'clock

As for the AH, it does that when its on velcro or the vibration pads, the AR numbers (the ones in the top left) hardly go above 50 at the worst spot in the throttle curve , I did the vibration test numerous times at no stage did I get a solid red light. The plane really doesn't have any vibration to speak of.

As for the jumper reset, I had the unit out of the plane did it on the bench and took it up to the computer room and did it on the desk. From what I understand you are suppose to get the red light flash very quickly and then go out, mine flashes then flashes very fast then goes back to a steady flash. I dont think it is suppose to keep flashing

I live in Australia. My daughter and wife bought this for me for fathers day, they got it from a shop on ebay, a Chinese distributor, so either way its going back to China.

I am powering it from the ESC, I have purchased a UBEC to install in it but that seems a bit pointless now. Either way the thing shouldnt do what its doing,

As for now its not going back in the plane, just can't trust it. I'l put my nova back into it for the time being until I see what these blokes are going to do about it.

I appreciate your input,

Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
hi moto...

on your osd the altitude is not showing up right?

does the plane maintain altitude properly?

I am trying to figure out if it's your OSD or the baro unit on the main 31AP board.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofox View Post
my firmware read version 2, then i flashed it with v1.20 from there site and it still read v2 .. so i believe v1.20 on there site is actually v2.. as for the red light.. its supposed to do a double red flash when its got enough sats and its steady.. continuous red flashing means reset gyro or movement... iv got an unresolved problem that even though i reset the gyro, after an hour or so i have to reset it again, although it fully works and does rtl still... anyone know how to fix my altitude, its not working anymore ???
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Aug 2012
757 Posts
Hi, i believe it does maintain altitude yes, rtl works fine and abm is good even though red light has constant flash indicating gyro needs resetting.. i really want to send it back to foxtech but its such a pain when youve waited weeks for it to arrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
hi moto...

on your osd the altitude is not showing up right?

does the plane maintain altitude properly?

I am trying to figure out if it's your OSD or the baro unit on the main 31AP board.

Steve
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:39 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
yes that is a pain, so if it's working then it must be the osd and not the baro unit.

have you tried to change firmware on the osd yet? or reload it?

does it just show zero or is the text gone? and I assume you know you can cycle through all the osd settings right?

Steve
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Aug 2012
757 Posts
Iv not tried to flash the osd but i will when i get chance.. it shows it on screen but its 0 and does not change.. by cycle osd setting i presume u mean the different screen layouts to which i can..

QUOTE=saabguyspg;22839489]yes that is a pain, so if it's working then it must be the osd and not the baro unit.

have you tried to change firmware on the osd yet? or reload it?

does it just show zero or is the text gone? and I assume you know you can cycle through all the osd settings right?

Steve[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,071 Posts
ok so the osd is working 100% otherwise it seems?

AH is working too?

strange that only one piece of data is missing from the data line...

where do you live? I may have a hornet I can send you for you to test out and see if it really is the osd or not. I have to check.

Steve