SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:09 AM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
895 Posts
Hi Guys,
Great information. I'm not very 'electronically inclined', but am learning.
What would your thoughts be about using the GPS to get an idea of speeds when Dynamic Soaring. Tight elliptical circles with a glider between 200 and 300mph? It would be good to have an idea of speeds to allow me to practice and find the best lines when alone. Currently you need a second person on the radar?

Would the small amount of straight line flying be enough to get an idea?
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2011, 05:11 AM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
895 Posts
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Last edited by damoz; Aug 10, 2011 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Double post
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
FrSky - Please express the release of the rejigged FDD-Lite.

I don't want a fancy case, the plastic tape package will do as i'll be removing that anyway. I don't want a big display clipped to my TX - i want to fit a second display in the TX housing.

Please make it so we can change what the individual screens display! I would like to be able to display two temperatures and one voltage on the one screen - all other parameters could be displayed on further screens. although it would be nice to also display triaxial accelerometer readings and RSSI on that same screen.

Please also make it so we can save the voltage divider setting so we can just switch it on and go.

Is the D4FR capable of transmitting full telemetry data back to the display? please make it so if it isn't - many models have very little space for the fitting of bits and the smaller size would be good

I'll be buying two of the modules, several rx and sensor hub/sensor kits and 2 of the new FDD-lite if the D4FR can do full telemetry readings - This will enable me to convert both my ground and air radios to this system.
Skree is offline Find More Posts by Skree
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:19 AM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Hedger View Post
showmaster,

You wont find anything on what I have made, I havent posted any details anywhere.
I have made a dashboard module for the TX end that currently will work with either a HowHighRT plugged straight into the RX or HHRT and GPS plugged into a hub on the RX.

Sounds like you just need to add a howhighRT to the serial port of the RX and find somebody willing and able to make er9x HowHighRT aware. No need for a hub on the RX end. The howhigh just outputs 16 bit integers representing the altitude from the point at which the HHRT was powered on. Very simple and easy to work with.
As from Er9X r435 FrSky hub and HHRT have some support.

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2006
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar2048 View Post
Try this MCU with some basic code run. This platform is dedicated for the project you have : http://www.arduino.cc/

Don't worry about the pic, this is the learning platform. there are many Arduino based platform alreay used on many projects such like the ardupilot or the multiwiicopter that are very very small and affordable to use.

Internet is full of many projects you can inspire yourself for this goal.

Cheers.
Please post a model number for the Arduino board to start with and I'll order it. I live in the US and see many sources but got confused with all the options for sale.
I can use XP or win7 pro as a OS?
showmaster is online now Find More Posts by showmaster
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford View Post
As from Er9X r435 FrSky hub and HHRT have some support.

Mike.
Thanks for all the great ideas from everyone, and to Mike for the fast update to er9x. My HHRT is in transit so I'll try it soon. The hub and sensors will be great for my nitro planes but for my electrics the A1,A2, and HHRT readings are perfect for my field being near 3 airports.
Mike,
If I update to r435 what do I need to know about the display screen settings?
Showmaster
Old Aug 10, 2011, 01:48 PM
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2008
1,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
If I update to r435 what do I need to know about the display screen settings?
Showmaster
See
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8816

Mike.
Mike Blandford is offline Find More Posts by Mike Blandford
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:23 PM
New in all but 20Y hobbyist
Gratens, little place around Toulouse...
Joined Dec 2007
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by showmaster View Post
Please post a model number for the Arduino board to start with and I'll order it. I live in the US and see many sources but got confused with all the options for sale.
I can use XP or win7 pro as a OS?
I think the Arduino Pro Mini 16hz 5V is a good choice. you can chain it to the receiver as it's compatible with 5V and won't have to stepup or down voltage to get working. This one is available on many electronic sites. Sparkfun is my favorite place for already assembled boards.

Code is available for all other projects. you just have to grab, modify or inspire yourself of it.

OS independent. you can use them all. Alla what you'll be needing is an FTDI cable (5V) and some pinouts to get an easy pin up/out boards. they are available on the same site.
lothar2048 is offline Find More Posts by lothar2048
Old Aug 10, 2011, 07:42 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skree View Post
FrSky - Please express the release of the rejigged FDD-Lite.

I don't want a fancy case, the plastic tape package will do as i'll be removing that anyway. I don't want a big display clipped to my TX - i want to fit a second display in the TX housing.

Please make it so we can change what the individual screens display! I would like to be able to display two temperatures and one voltage on the one screen - all other parameters could be displayed on further screens. although it would be nice to also display triaxial accelerometer readings and RSSI on that same screen.

Please also make it so we can save the voltage divider setting so we can just switch it on and go.

Is the D4FR capable of transmitting full telemetry data back to the display? please make it so if it isn't - many models have very little space for the fitting of bits and the smaller size would be good

I'll be buying two of the modules, several rx and sensor hub/sensor kits and 2 of the new FDD-lite if the D4FR can do full telemetry readings - This will enable me to convert both my ground and air radios to this system.

FLD-02 (combined all function of FLD-01 as well as other sensors data display) is almost finished except for the outer case. More details will follow soon, let's look forward to it.

Current D4FR can not do full telemetry reading, but we are planning to release a new receiver with hard housing, 5 channels for servo output, together with one external analog telemetry port and one digital data-stream port, with almost the same dimention as D6FR.
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Last edited by Chase Wu; Aug 11, 2011 at 03:33 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lothar2048 View Post
I think the Arduino Pro Mini 16hz 5V is a good choice. you can chain it to the receiver as it's compatible with 5V and won't have to stepup or down voltage to get working. This one is available on many electronic sites. Sparkfun is my favorite place for already assembled boards.

Code is available for all other projects. you just have to grab, modify or inspire yourself of it.

OS independent. you can use them all. Alla what you'll be needing is an FTDI cable (5V) and some pinouts to get an easy pin up/out boards. they are available on the same site.
Thanks, I'll budget some $$ and order it.
Showmaster
Old Aug 11, 2011, 11:06 PM
Joined Mar 2009
297 Posts
FLD-02 update

Data layout on the first screen of FLD-02 has been modified, suggestions are welcomed here.
Name: FLD-02.jpg
Views: 759
Size: 17.3 KB
Description:

FYI: FrSky lipo voltage sensor will be released quite soon, which can monitor voltage for each cell. These data will be shown on another screen of FLD-02.
Chase Wu is offline Find More Posts by Chase Wu
Last edited by Chase Wu; Aug 12, 2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
6 Posts
I like it. That's exactly what I had in mind. I look forward to getting one of these, a kit module, hub, sensors and a few RX shortly to include in my super TX build.

individual cell monitoring too? awesome.

Is FrSky's triaxial accelerometer suitable for ground based applications? I can see where this telemetry system could be a lot of use to me in other areas of RC.
Skree is offline Find More Posts by Skree
Old Aug 12, 2011, 02:44 AM
Joined Jul 2011
264 Posts
We need Ameter, up to 150, and RPM, if possible like the EagleTree brushless one.
michel49 is offline Find More Posts by michel49
Old Aug 12, 2011, 08:01 AM
Old retired Electronics Fart
United States, OH, Centerburg
Joined Mar 2007
426 Posts
monitor screen

I would think that they would have a program so you could setup the screen layout like you want it. You know around 5 or so screens to show the info that you want and where you want it. Kinda like (A poor mans OSD ) does it.
All the positions ,alarms and Cal's for all readings would be stored in ROM. That way you could display things like you want it. Not some programmer layout !

Just my two cents worth.
Charles B is offline Find More Posts by Charles B
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
Australia, NT, Anmatjere
Joined Oct 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Wu View Post
Data layout on the first screen of FLD-02 has been modified, suggestions are welcomed here.
Attachment 4206517

FYI: FrSky lipo voltage sensor will be released quite soon, which can monitor voltage for each cell. These data will be shown on another screen of FLD-02.
Good to see some action on FLD-02 EVA , voltage for each cell ow yea

Quote:
I would think that they would have a program so you could setup the screen layout like you want it. You know around 5 or so screens to show the info that you want and where you want it. Kinda like (A poor mans OSD ) does it.
All the positions ,alarms and Cal's for all readings would be stored in ROM. That way you could display things like you want it. Not some programmer layout !
I think youv'e hit the nail on the head charles having the ability to chose data layout would satisfy every body.

I also like the idea i can display my basics without having to purchase the hub, but if i dicide later i need it i can / flexable.
Emoto is offline Find More Posts by Emoto