HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:55 AM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Discussion
Glider magazine review: AUFWIND ENGLISH

AUFWIND is without a doubt the best rc glider magazine in the world. Never heard of it? That's because it is in German, and we English speakers are not very good at coping with foreign-language media. But now AUFWIND is available as AUFWIND English, which means that a separate English supplement comes with the German magazine. I've received 3 issues so far and so I thought I would give a review.

First of all, what on earth does AUFWIND mean? It simply means LIFT (the literal translation is upwind, which is German for lift). AUFWIND is published six times a year, and the English version comes as the glossy German magazine of 100 pages or so, with a plain-paper English supplement of 60 pages or so (the English supplement is shorter because it has a simpler layout and no photos). A one year subscription of 6 issues costs 69.50 Euros (around $89 US or £59 UK) including airmail delivery anywhere in the world. That may not sound cheap but it is a good deal considering global airmail is included.

The magazine has lots of superb photos and a layout that is a little simpler than US or UK rc magazines – halfway between a magazine and a more serious publication. AUFWIND mostly covers the more serious end of rc gliders – big gliders, mouldies, scale gliders, vintage woodies, F3F racing, DLGs, F3B and so on. The Nov/Dec 2010 issue has wonderful articles on F3F races such as the Viking Race, new mouldie models such as the Vikos and the Windex 1200C, the science of thermals and airfoils, the German F3K DLG open, two US events, the Retroplane vintage scale event, indoor flying, a new glider transmitter, retractable propulsion systems, an inside look at Paritech the glider manufacturer, handmade wooden formers, and much more.

These really are excellent in-depth articles - no other magazine in the world offers such high quality glider coverage any more. For that reason I reckon AUFWIND English is essential reading for all the serious glider guys out there.

The downside is that if you just want to chuck a cheap little foamie around with your kid, this magazine will be a bit overwhelming. Also, if you don’t have big money to spend on big gliders, this magazine will bring on fits of jealousy!

The English translation is great because it is done by a glider expert - Dieter Mahlein of ShredAir. However, flipping between the German magazine and the English supplement can be a bit of a pain in the neck. Also, all those interesting German ads are not translated. But they more or less speak for themselves. (Hmmm, I might have to order one of those wonderful German gliders featured in the ads!)

How do you order AUFWIND English? Just go to www.aufwind-magazine.net and pay with PayPal, it's as easy as that. I put 'Aufwind English subscription' in the PayPal comment box. Since PayPal shows my address that is all that is required. I think you can also pay other ways if you email them (English is no problem). The first issue of 2011 comes out on 24 December, so if you order in the next couple of weeks you will get some great reading to recover from the holiday festivities.

If you order, I wonder if you could do me a great kindness and put 'recommended by Gary Parker' on your order (such as in the PayPal comment box). That's me - if you do that I'll get a free extra issue. What's in it for you? Nothing really, except of course once you subscribe you can get others to put your name and you'll get free issues. If we all do it, we'll have a great little global network of glider dudes all enjoying cheaper mags.
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:06 PM
Gary P
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
So, no interest at all it seems! No wonder Aufwind is struggling to get enough subscribers...
flamehead is offline Find More Posts by flamehead
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:57 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,692 Posts
Sorry Gary, we're busy bashing Sal... : )
Which goes to show: Unkraut verdirbt nicht.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:13 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamehead View Post
So, no interest at all it seems! No wonder Aufwind is struggling to get enough subscribers...
Big interest...On my favorites page!
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:18 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir View Post
Sorry Gary, we're busy bashing Sal... : )
Which goes to show: Unkraut verdirbt nicht.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
Not everyone.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:20 PM
Joined Dec 2003
566 Posts
Hi Flame....

Free isuues are not wanted by most of us - we just want the GREAT issues to continue!
Be a good "dobe" and no free issues!
Remember, it's the Season of Giving, NOT receiving!
IMHO
Merry Christmas!
Jim
Remember: "Money In" must be equal to "Money Out - so more free issues means more cost to us and advertisers.

[QUOTE=flamehead;16764463]AUFWIND is without a doubt the best rc glider magazine in the world. Never heard of it? That's because it is in German, and we English speakers are not very good at coping with foreign-language media. But now AUFWIND is available as AUFWIND English, which means that a separate English supplement comes with the German magazine. I've received 3 issues so far and so I thought I would give a review.
vintagesailplnr is offline Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:14 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2000
2,049 Posts
Great mag. I used to buy it every time I was in Europe. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

Ric
RicVaughn is offline Find More Posts by RicVaughn
Old Dec 10, 2010, 08:49 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,640 Posts
I echo Ric's sentiments. No matter how great it is, I think probably the limiting factor might be the price. Especially since it comes out only 6x/year, and not monthly.

Just my opinion and gut feeling about it.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Dec 11, 2010, 05:33 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,751 Posts
I second that, nice magazine, superb pictures, but just too expensive in the US.

sean
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Dec 11, 2010, 06:23 PM
Born to be free
undefined
Joined Sep 2004
413 Posts
Aufwind is the premier soaring magazine currently on the market. It is everything flamehead mentioned and I have never been disappointed. I have been a subscriber for years.

I agree that Aufwind is expensive and I am by no means well off but, considering that over the years I've cancelled all my other subscriptions to MAN, RCM, S&E Modeler for lack of soaring content, I think Aufwind it is well worth the cost.
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:14 PM
American Exile
Germany, BB, Nauen
Joined Jan 2009
344 Posts
This sounds like a great periodical to add to the German department library at KU.
xbted is offline Find More Posts by xbted
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:20 PM
NY Slope Dog
Syracuse, NY
Joined Sep 2003
821 Posts
Yes, great job Dieter. A friend used to lend me all his past issues so I could look at the pictures. The English inclusion is great.

Not sure how much they're paying you, but I'm sure it's not enough!
Wind Junkie is offline Find More Posts by Wind Junkie
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:27 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
yeah well the problem is more the shipping price, the subscribistion in Europe is about 30 Euro, I think a good price for the superb quality magazine you get, is one of my favorites german training activities, fully supported by wify . Maybe they should offer a PDF version, in that version the cost of shippment will be reduced, and it will not occupy so much space on my workshop and we will save some trees of course . There are many ways already to prevent the people from just redistributing the files just my two cents

regards

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Dec 17, 2010, 07:52 AM
NY Slope Dog
Syracuse, NY
Joined Sep 2003
821 Posts
Regarding the PDF: It's clearly stated in the inside page it WON'T be offered as a PDF. I guess they get a lot of requests for that. To me, it would seem a BAD business decision NOT to offer a PDF in that case (with protections enabled as Edwinzea suggests).

On the other hand, I subscribe to a pdf only publication: RC Report-- formerly my favorite magazine when Gordon Banks published the paper version. To be honest, I very RARELY feel like sitting in front of a computer screen (don't try to suggest a kindle or iPad, it just isn't the same as a paper copy) to peruse the issues, and I have a lot of unread issues sitting on my hard drive. I normally just scan them, but it's a damn shame compared to how I formerly loved settling down with my favorite mag in a particular nook for a good spell.

Joe
Wind Junkie is offline Find More Posts by Wind Junkie
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 08:59 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
well Joe like everything si just a matter of taste, at work I have to read tons and tons of scientific articles, I got used only to print those that are really relevant, and mainly read on the screen. Also I had been reading on a small e-book reader for a coupple of years, I just enjoy to carry with me all those books and magazines, just in the pocket . again just mater of taste.

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea