HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2014, 03:57 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg South
Joined Aug 2014
24 Posts
Discussion
Race Timer Smartphone App

I am looking for an Android smartphone app that will run a race start sequence with an audio countdown, so that we can all concentrate on sailing our boats to the line while listening to a voice countdown to the start. Can anyone recommend one?
22KV is offline Find More Posts by 22KV
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2014, 05:27 AM
United States, MN, Park Rapids
Joined Feb 2014
472 Posts
My buddy has an app that we used this summer for precisely what your looking for. It starts at 1 minute and gives audible 50, 40, 30, 20 and a count down 10, 9, 8, etc. It would have been nice if it were louder and had a bang at the end, but, as long as you were close to it, it worked. I will ask him for the app name, if interested.
md6364 is offline Find More Posts by md6364
Old Sep 05, 2014, 05:35 AM
OlivierFRA100
Joined Nov 2006
187 Posts
When needed I just play an MP3 start sequence with smartphone music app.
FRA3700 is offline Find More Posts by FRA3700
Old Sep 05, 2014, 05:58 AM
Joined May 2008
79 Posts
Hi 22kv

I just use an MP3 as described above, no need for an app download. Here's a couple of options...

http://www.rcyachts.net/nsw/start_audio.html

http://www.theamya.org/resources/starttapes.php
tim_uk is online now Find More Posts by tim_uk
Old Sep 05, 2014, 01:49 PM
S.F. Bay Area, California, USA
Joined May 2005
746 Posts
A similar timer is used in slope racing. I know a couple of different timers have been posted in the sailplane forums. Look specifically in the Slope, and Multi-Task F3X, forums.
Ken Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Ken Barnes
Old Sep 05, 2014, 02:40 PM
Joined Aug 2006
859 Posts
here is one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oto.starttimer
derelicte is online now Find More Posts by derelicte
Old Sep 05, 2014, 08:19 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,070 Posts
Smart phone based MP3 is a good idea. If volume is what you want, there are a bunch of bluetooth speakers for small money that work very well. I bought one from Amazon for about $20 that sounds great. I use it outside or in the garage and stream Pandora for music when I want a variety. All the skippers within 30 feet would be able to hear it easily.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 06, 2014, 04:49 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg South
Joined Aug 2014
24 Posts
Thanks for all the useful input, guys.

@Tim_uk: I downloaded those MP3s and they work fine. A pity the lady doing the voice track lost concentration so that her countdown speeds up towards the end of the sequence.

@ Derelicte: The 'RC Timer' is an excellent yacht racing timer app, one of the best I have seen, but it is missing a critical feature we RC sailors need which is an audio signal. It doesn't even have beeps, just a (nice clean) visual display, so it's great for a race committee boat (for which it was designed) but no good in my club where all of us want to be racing for the line, not being the race committee.

I found an app which is very useful. The display is not quite as feature rich as the one above, but you can adjust the start time up or down or sync the timer to some other reference clock to come onto the full minute. Most importantly, it has voice announcements every five seconds with a voice countdown for the last five seconds to the start. Plenty loud enough on my Samsung for anyone within 5m to hear it clearly. Your phone needs to have Text To Speech (TTS) enabled, which I did in a wink through the Settings menu.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...achttimertrial
22KV is offline Find More Posts by 22KV
Old Sep 06, 2014, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2006
859 Posts
Try contacting the rc timer guy and asking him to add that feature. He has been really good about adding features.
Old Sep 06, 2014, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2006
859 Posts
Actually it looks like he already has a version with audible tones. Read the comments on the apps page.
Old Sep 07, 2014, 08:15 AM
United States, MN, Park Rapids
Joined Feb 2014
472 Posts
My buddies Timere is called "Talking Timer" and he downlaoded it for his Android.
md6364 is offline Find More Posts by md6364
Old Sep 07, 2014, 12:52 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,145 Posts
Here are the two MP3's (1 min, and 2 min) that I created awhile ago.

I went through and read, re-read, the rules for what's allowed and not allowed for the audio in the start sequence. This is as close to the "letter of the law" from the rule book I made that kept everyone happy. The only thing that I added was the background metronome, which is technically NOT allowed.

I did a set without the metronome and used it for a bit, but everyone complained that "It wasn't like the AMYA soundtrack!!!!!". I tried to explain that the AMYA soundtrack violates the rules in several ways, but the old fart mentality of "But we've always done it that way" won out, mostly.

Now everyone likes my sound files more than the AMYA ones. We still use the "AMYA Black Box" on regatta days, because we sometimes get non-regulars and they expect it, and the box is easy to use for those who volunteer to help with the regattas.

P.S.
Don't freak out over the extra silence in the beginning. I put it there so I had time to hit the play button on the my phone/mp3 player and have time to look up and start sailing.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Sep 07, 2014, 01:51 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,242 Posts
Here are two MP3 count down starting timer files I assembled using WavePad. I didn't like the very low volume of the seconds ticking in the original file (did not work well with the tiny speaker of my iPhone) so I took a wave file of a metronome ticking and cut/pasted the major time marks and audio text from the original countdown timer file onto it. WavePad has a very accurate timing grid so the timing in the new files is pretty accurate. It also allows all the sounds to be adjusted to the same level which makes them easier to hear.

The one minute file has a horn as the starting sound and the two minute file has a cannon sound, just for fun.
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:02 PM
Silly Old Fart
New Zealand, Wellington, Masterton
Joined Mar 2006
237 Posts
I would like to post here a link to some start sequences which were set up a while ago for use by anyone who has the need. Both male and female voices and with and without clicks. Something for everyone.
http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...sequence-files
CaptainBit is offline Find More Posts by CaptainBit
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:01 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
346 Posts
I also have some recordings...some even in spanish, french and portuguese!

https://drive.google.com/a/cvrc.cl/f...drive_web#list
tarmstro is offline Find More Posts by tarmstro