HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:57 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
455 Posts
Have not been contributing a whole lot to this forum - even though I live in eastern NC, we have been having our share of 'no fly' days. It's either raining or the wind is 15+ mph. On the flyable days I've had to work and I have also been busy building a 2M ALES plane for our club competition in March.
Bagged the wing tips last night, hope to do a whole lot of sanding in the near future and get this bird flying & trim it before the contest.

On a side note - Peter you have my DLG flight under the 2M section.

Martin
MMR is offline Find More Posts by MMR
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:58 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
455 Posts
Martin Rudolph (MMR)
Handlaunch
Glider name: Taboo M (DLG)
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 2/14/2013 12:30AM
Duration of flight: 26:35

Finally stopped raining, overcast and somewhat brisk, almost no wind...

Snuck out again during lunch, on the third launch I hooked up with a nice steady thermal - decided then the goal was going to be 30 mins - did not make it

Maxed out around 900 ft, never found another steady ride to get to the 30 - still a very exciting flight!

Forecast looks good for tomorrow as well

Martin
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:35 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
Nice one Martin, hope I get some nice thermals soon so I can give you a run for your money!
Winds are the wrong way again here but hopefully later next week they're gonna turn again, I really want to get a decent summer this year, last year was a wash out, it was cold wet and windy with the odd bit of sunshine here and there, the grass never even dried out enough for me to sit or lay down on it without getting damp-the years b4 I had been almost falling asleep at times on the little hill with my glider cruising around high in a thermal on a daily basis, last year was a struggle most of the time to find nice thermals-I think it's all to do with the shifting gulf stream.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:37 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
455 Posts
Martin Rudolph (MMR)
Handlaunch
Glider name: Taboo M (DLG)
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight: 2/15/2013 12:30AM
Duration of flight: 18:44

Forecast for the weekend is not very flyable - so I had to take advantage of the nice day we had today - 60 degrees, blue sky and almost no wind

I had several 2, 3 and 4 minute flights before I finally hooked up - by then it was too late to try and beat yesterday's time - the boss would not have been too happy if I came back late from lunch...

So I decided to see how high I could go, was hoping to break 1,000 feet - almost got there - oh well, will have to try again...

Martin
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:46 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
Had the rudder servo go down on me today, tried to fly without it but I did not like it at all so came home and replaced the expensive sd150 with a hxt900 which I have found to me much more reliable in my other planes, had 3 sd150s go on me already in less then 6 months, the hxt900 have lasted years in my other gliders.
So I missed the best part of the day (10:30 to 12 is usually when the thermals are about), went out a couple of times later but only really managed mostly 2 mins and 3 mins with the best flight of the day lasting 4 mins or so with a bit of a climb out in a thermal but not really much.
Still enjoyed myself though and hoping for some more good flying weather soon.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:07 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
No record flights this morn but flew from 8am to 11:30am lol, was such a nice day I could not help myself, thermals did not arrive properly until about 10:30 then I hooked quite a few, best was 9:33 and a couple of 7 mins, my eyesight is obviously not so good any more as I told mark I better leave the thermal as it was getting blurry/too far away, he thought I was joking, he could see it clear as anything, Oh dear, glasses time!
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:50 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
455 Posts
Nigel, good to hear that the servo failure did not cost you the plane as well.
I have a set of flying glasses - told the optometrist about my hobby and that I wanted to see the hair on a flea at 1,000 feet - so now I can see my gliders vey well at altitude, but have to take them off if I want to disconnect a servo cable, etc.

Snowed yesterday - winds fir today supposed to be 16.to 20. Think I'll stay in.

Martin
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:35 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMR View Post
Nigel, good to hear that the servo failure did not cost you the plane as well.
I have a set of flying glasses - told the optometrist about my hobby and that I wanted to see the hair on a flea at 1,000 feet - so now I can see my gliders vey well at altitude, but have to take them off if I want to disconnect a servo cable, etc.

Snowed yesterday - winds fir today supposed to be 16.to 20. Think I'll stay in.

Martin
I've been lucky so far with servos going down, the rudder stopped after I had landed, when the elevator went I was in flight but hardly noticed till I came in for a landing but luckily with the blaster I have flaps on throttle so that acts like an elevator control wise, the aileron servo I fixed after I heard its gears slipping in a hard roll but it was still working in normal flight.
My worst fear is that a servo will cause a brown out and shut rx down, it has happened on other planes which use 3 cell and an esc but not on my dlg but then I suppose the battery is direct to rx so not relying on a limited amount of current from the bec.
I wish someone would come up with a servo that does not go wrong, something with metal gears and a reliable brushless motor rather then a brushed one thats less then 9grams to fit in dlgs, I dont mind paying more for a decent servo but it seems that paying more still does not garantee reliablity.
Glasses specially for rc glider flying is a good idea, I will mention it when I get round to going for an eye test!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Hi, guys.

Sorry I've been AWOL but life has been happening in big smelly brown piles for the last week or so culminating in a few days in the hospital. I'll get caught up with posting results in the next day or so.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
Sorry to hear that Peter, hope things are alright now.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,676 Posts
Thanks, nigel. I'll live but I just won't enjoy it much for a few more days. Suffice to say; it really is a drag getting old.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:07 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Not an offical report but I have not stopped in for a while so I thought I would visit.

I had a 2 hour 30 minute slope flight on Saturday.

Hand toss into VERY light lift with my Easy Glider electric. Glider was just barely staying up at the top of the ridge to being able to get about 30 feet above the edge of the ridge, but no more. At times I could not even feel that there was any breeze at all. This is a site that runs from about 20 feet to about 60 feet as you go from right to left. Demands a dead North wind.

I did make three motor runs of about 5 - 8 seconds to go high, to show some people that it had a motor and what that could do, but the the rest of the flight was all just above ridge level. There were a few times I ventured off the ridge to explore for more lift and on the way back I thought I was going to have to use the motor to save it, but I didn't.

I finally landed because it was cold, my hand started developing a cramp, and the sun was starting to get low. Quite a challenging flight, but fun. If I had thought of it at the time I would not have made those motor runs so I could file an official report.

Next time.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 20, 2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: corrected time reported
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:32 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
Chin up Peter, take it easy for now and hope to hear some about some good flights from you soon!

I take it that was a 2hr and 30 mins not 2 mins and 30 seconds lol, that's a long time and I'm not surprised you got cramp!
Yesterday was another good day both me and Mark managed 9 or 10 min thermal flights with light winds and a clear blue sky, I went out for an hour 1st thing and then from 11:30 to 1:30 which was the best time and every other flight was over mins and many over 7 and then later with mark from 3:30 to 4:30 when there were still thermals to climb.
Winds are 15 to 32 mph now though but coming up hill so I might risk a 1/2hour just to get out lol.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:09 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,252 Posts
Managed one flight in the winds this morn, the winds were strong and up hill as promised and very cold, needed full launch settings with some down elevator trim to keep from flying backwards with nose pointing directly into wind and even then I had to dive more when the wind picked up a bit more, when it dropped a touch I could then go slightly side to side and push out forwards to find more lift but soon had to come back to the hill, really fun but after 9 mins my hands were too cold and my nerves were fried so I carefully landed and went home for a cuppa.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:42 AM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
455 Posts
Peter - all the best.

Martin