SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2013, 11:40 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,896 Posts
Hi MB, I agree, the 1/2" should not make a significant impact, and it will easy enough to trim with the ailerons. The other advantage is the speed of the model is not "blistering" so any situations like this do not significantly impact performance.

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:27 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
Thanks D-Rock. I had thought the same thing regarding speed and trim. BIW as far as the building board being off, that was my first thought, but the table shows level with my large level. There are a number of things, but I suspect that when I pinned the wing to build the right half, I probably slightly raised the left side slightly too high. I probably tend to sweat small stuff more than the average builder.
miltonboy is offline Find More Posts by miltonboy
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
I thought I'd show some pictures of the scheme I chose. It's Gunther Rall's 109 G2. Best pilots just came out with a 1/5th scale pilot of Rall that's amazing, but at 160 bucks painted is pretty steep!
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:20 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Nice scheme. You've probably seen these before but if anyone has not enjoy.

Alan

Bf109 Ace Günther Rall Interview (2 min 19 sec)
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:56 PM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
He was a really neat guy with a long history that goes well past the war. A very interesting thing to hear him talk about is his impressions of meeting Hitler. He was weirded out by him, and horrified when he learned of the concentration camps after his capture by the Americans. I would love to read his book, but you can't find a copy of it for less than 500.00 since he died. Shame.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:42 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
892 Posts
A couple more Gunther Rall links:

http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/rall/rall.htm

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/...ntherrall2003/
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:00 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltonboy View Post
I would love to read his book, but you can't find a copy of it for less than 500.00 since he died. Shame.
...and I bought an autographed copy when it was first published. The book itself is interesting, but not that great. It's definitely written for the casual mass market reader, and there are several historical inaccuracies. I chalk this up not to Mr. Rall, but to the co-author who no doubt was responsible for the general flavour of the book.

Nice to see the project is coming along.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Aug 01, 2013, 09:48 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
892 Posts
How's the 109 coming along Miltonboy? Are you making any progess?

BIW
BuildItWright is offline Find More Posts by BuildItWright
Old Aug 01, 2013, 12:18 PM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltonboy View Post
He was a really neat guy with a long history that goes well past the war. A very interesting thing to hear him talk about is his impressions of meeting Hitler. He was weirded out by him, and horrified when he learned of the concentration camps after his capture by the Americans. I would love to read his book, but you can't find a copy of it for less than 500.00 since he died. Shame.
Almost had the chance to go and see him at the Finish aviation museum a few years back. He unfortunately had to cancel the "lecture" due to health issues and later on the same year he passed on. It is sad that the group of these brave men is getting smaller and smaller.

raipe
raipe is offline Find More Posts by raipe
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
54 Posts
I'm hoping to make some more good progress soon. I took 9 hrs of classes this summer to finish my Masters degree. I also ended up taking the golf coach position at the high school where I teach, which is a summer sport. I'll post some updates soon hopefully.