Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2010
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I just watched the videos at this site:

http://scolton.blogspot.com/2012/09/...0-modding.html

Does it make a difference if you ARM the board with self leveling on or off? Does ARMING with self leveling on make it more stable? I checked function on my first flight and I landed and turned self leveling on and made sure it didn't do anything weird. It flew fine. I have of course done the sensor calibration on a level surface.

Also does the firmware I am flying (v 1.2)include the firmware this guy talks about? I just got the board from HK and they say it has the latest firmware (v 1.2).

I am not Flashing anything since I have everything working well enough to fly. I guess I'm more of a Hardware guy and this Flashing the board kinda scares me. I will wait until I get my next two boards so I have a spare.

How about the numbers for Height Dampening, anyone have a ballpark setting?

Sudsy
Arming/disarming the board with auto-level on or off is a preference. Some users are experiencing good results with it on while others are not.

The V1.2 firmware that comes with the board is the stock firmware. The V1.2 from Shane is his customized version of the firmware but with the sane version/release number.
I don't use the auto-level as my quadcopter is stable as is without it.

K-MAN Kopter 10-06-2012 (6 min 56 sec)
rcjose is offline Find More Posts by rcjose
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:48 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Still fiddling. Trying to hover is a chore, out and back is a little easier. It has a small but annoying turn to the left that repeated attempts to identify and correct have failed. Even with height dampening and a light thumb it always seems to be climbing or falling with a lot of jamming to keep it off the ground. Turning on stick scaling for throttle makes the hover problem worse.

Any pointers on what to look at next? I'm about ready to start from scratch on the PI tuning.

Mounting is sticky tape and zip tie, maybe I need more tape to give it more give?
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
I just watched the videos at this site:

http://scolton.blogspot.com/2012/09/...0-modding.html

Does it make a difference if you ARM the board with self leveling on or off?
[B]Don't know, Prob not![/B]

Does ARMING with self leveling on make it more stable?
I doubt it!!

I checked function on my first flight and I landed and turned self leveling on and made sure it didn't do anything weird. It flew fine. I have of course done the sensor calibration on a level surface.
OK congratulations

Also does the firmware I am flying (v 1.2)include the firmware this guy talks about? I just got the board from HK and they say it has the latest firmware (v 1.2).

His is Different, If you look in LazyZero's flash tool you well see 1.2 and a 1.2 ACCmod2. 1.2 is stock what you have now, and his is the accmod2 one...

I am not Flashing anything since I have everything working well enough to fly. I guess I'm more of a Hardware guy and this Flashing the board kinda scares me. I will wait until I get my next two boards so I have a spare.

Good call

How about the numbers for Height Dampening, anyone have a ballpark setting?

Sudsy
Height damp is throttle compensation in a banked turn. I like it. Mine was/well be set at 10 and 10.
You'll noticed that when you bank turn on a hili/muti rotor you well have to give throttle to stay at the same altitude.. this does it for you
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Oct 16, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:42 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Height damp is throttle compensation in a banked turn. I like it. Mine was/well be set at 10 and 10.
You'll noticed that when you bank turn on a hili/muti rotor you well have to give throttle to stay at the same altitude.. this does it for you
Thanks, I'll try 10/10 for Height Dampening. Good answers. I looked and looked for the firmware that ws listed here and couldn't find the file with the same name. I did see the ACC mod though. Maybe on the micro I have on the bench now.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Yea cool, be warned though. His original 1.2 accmod had issues with the autolevel. Now it seems to be worked out/fixed... With the updated 1.2acc2.
But im not going to waste my time try it again. The AL and FW1.2 works fine..so if it ant broke dont try and fix it..;0)

Do oyu have lazyzeros flash tool yet?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
860 Posts
Quote:
Yea cool, be warned though. His original 1.2 accmod had issues with the autolevel. Now it seems to be worked out/fixed... With the updated 1.2acc2.
But im not going to waste my time try it again. The AL and FW1.2 works fine..so if it ant broke dont try and fix it..;0)

Do oyu have lazyzeros flash tool yet?
Yes and I found a very useful site to help explaining how.

http://flitetest.com/articles/Add_In..._to_your_Plane

But like you said if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I am having a blast flying this new quad. I still have a Talon V-1 with the KK V-3 board flying it. I used it as a trainer and flew it in the + mode. I am pretty comfortable with it. I have to make a special effort to get to a large field to fly. I live in a townhouse cluster and being retired I can fly in the small parking lot while everybody else is at work. Not a good place for flight testing though. I don't want to do any damage to other folks property. I also have a Foam Flying Saucer on the bench but the KK2 card was bad so it's on hold. I will use this as a trainer for the loops and rolls. I have set it up so I can fly with or without the foam disk.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:53 PM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,112 Posts
I had read Shane Colton blog http://scolton.blogspot.com/2012/09/...0-modding.html and watched his explanation video concerning the auto-level getting locked at extreme angles.

I fly tri's and was concerned if this was a problem with the 1.2 firmware on the tri.

I tried every angle before arming, then twisting the model during arm, during boot, redical movement, etc. Nothing would confuse the auto-level. I could even hold the model inverted and power up in auto-level and the model would turn itself over and hold level.

What am I missing on this auto level bug? Does it only apply to quads?
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:08 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyhyam View Post
I had read Shane Colton blog http://scolton.blogspot.com/2012/09/...0-modding.html and watched his explanation video concerning the auto-level getting locked at extreme angles.

I fly tri's and was concerned if this was a problem with the 1.2 firmware on the tri.

I tried every angle before arming, then twisting the model during arm, during boot, redical movement, etc. Nothing would confuse the auto-level. I could even hold the model inverted and power up in auto-level and the model would turn itself over and hold level.

What am I missing on this auto level bug? Does it only apply to quads?
Not sure if it only applies for quads but i highly doubt it. When you did the "every angle before arming, then twisting the model during arm, during boot, redical movement, etc. Nothing would confuse the auto-level".

what firmware were you using? stock 1.0, 1.2 or 1.2accmod or 1.2acmod2?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:15 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
860 Posts
Quote:
Yes and I found a very useful site to help explaining how.

http://flitetest.com/articles/Add_In..._to_your_Plane

But like you said if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I am having a blast flying this new quad. I still have a Talon V-1 with the KK V-3 board flying it. I used it as a trainer and flew it in the + mode. I am pretty comfortable with it. I have to make a special effort to get to a large field to fly. I live in a townhouse cluster and being retired I can fly in the small parking lot while everybody else is at work. Not a good place for flight testing though. I don't want to do any damage to other folks property. I also have a Foam Flying Saucer on the bench but the KK2 card was bad so it's on hold. I will use this as a trainer for the loops and rolls. I have set it up so I can fly with or without the foam disk.
Tried to attach pictures. I try again here.

Sudsy
Last edited by Sudsy; Dec 23, 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:50 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
For those of you who want to setup the board on a plane, I put together a video that describes how to setup the HK KK2.0 Multi-rotor control board on a Bixler glider using the OpenAero2 firmware developed by HappySundays.

Here is the setup video:
Add Auto-leveling and Stabilization to Your RC Plane using HobbyKing KK2.0 Board (26 min 15 sec)

Here is the flight test:
HK KK2.0 Auto-Leveling & Stability Flight Test (20 min 40 sec)

I was very impressed on how well the board worked in the high winds. Works even better in low wind.

Mike
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:24 PM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Not sure if it only applies for quads but i highly doubt it. When you did the "every angle before arming, then twisting the model during arm, during boot, redical movement, etc. Nothing would confuse the auto-level".

what firmware were you using? stock 1.0, 1.2 or 1.2accmod or 1.2acmod2?
I downloaded kk2_1V1.zip inside the folder I used kk2.hex. I am pretty sure this is the code Rolf wrote.
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
I downloaded kk2_1V1.zip inside the folder I used kk2.hex. I am pretty sure this is the code Rolf wrote.
Yeah that's kk2 version 1.1, you probably want version 1.2. (kk2_1V2)
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:07 AM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,931 Posts
kk1.2
magic_marty is online now Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:12 AM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
860 Posts
Quote:
I agree with Erknie. But if you just got this board from HK then leave it alone until you at least set it up initially. You sound like me. I just have to fool with things! The HK boards are suppose to have the latest V1.2. I finally reset the thing to default and started over. My first board was however a bad one and I verified that before I sent it back. Testing HK returns to Washington State. We will see how long that takes after the $7.50 shipping.

Mine flies fine. I just need to do some more tuning.

Sudsy
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:42 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Ok the reason i asked is! From my experence KK's Firmware is fine, so im not sure What shane was trying to fix in the first place..?
All i know my first flash was with his 1.2accmod and it gave me grief while in AL.

But prior to that i had the stock 1.0 from Hobbyking and it was fine. So now SC has it changed to 1.2accmod2 with a fix to the locking in if you fly around and bank over a certain angle and use Yaw. But i only experienced that after flashing with his first accmod...The stock KK1.0 and 1.2 worked/s great!!

On his first mod it was b16ldi Temp, 600. The value 600 roughly corresponds to 26. So he changed it too
b16ldi Temp, 1042 which would be over 45 degree's before it would lock up...

I need to read his full blog entry and see why he tried to mod it in the first place...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Oct 17, 2012 at 01:22 AM.